Problem Ya gotta see this..

Dan Berg

CGF, Certified Grumble Framer
Long story but here goes. On vacation in Key West and saw these beautiful acrylic framed butterfly cases. My wife ordered a custom one with our wedding picture for an anniversary present. Received it 6 weeks later and I look at it and could tell with my eye it was way out of square. The 1/8" back acrylic was square but they glued the box on to the backer out of square. My wife wrote a nice email explaining the issue, sent it back to redo. 4 weeks later we get it back open it up and what did they do. They took a router and ran it around the back trimming off the square backer. We now have the same (3/8" out of square) box that we sent back for them to redo.
I take pictures and attach them and email to the business in Key West. Now they respond like it is our fault. "Anyone that puts a square around a case has to have issues". "Apparenty you people cannot be satisfied no matter what we do so we are refunding your money". "We have spoken with the artist that designs and builds these and have been told it is the best they can do"... Well you know how that went over with me. Being a lifelong business owner 25 year cabinetry shop owner and 10 years in my framing business. My whole life has been making things square. I had to let this go but you can tell it still bothers me.

Attachments

• IMG_3219.JPG
    IMG_3219.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_3223.JPG
    IMG_3223.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_3220.JPG
    IMG_3220.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 76
Man sakes alive! You just never know. :faintthud:

Be glad they're not your brain surgeon.

It seems so impossible that no one else has complained. Either they've found a base of customers who are willing to pony up and don't care about quality, or this is going to come back to bite them. They can only blow smoke up so many backsides before.....

.....it's actually happened. I've run out of metaphors.

Anyway, sorry.

Due to the nature of the material and fabrication process, it seems like it would be far more difficult to construct an out-ouf-square acrylic box.
Anyway, it seems like you are dealing with people who are better at concept than at execution.
:cool: Rick

What Rick said, and they are probably limited by their choice in tools as well. That they had access to a flush trim router is a shocker.

You could maybe open it up and redo it for your wife for Xmas!!

Shoddy workmanship and snarky customer service.:eek:

This is a business which will really go places:

download.jpg

I guess we'll be eating dinner with plastic forks.

You have forks??? :faintthud:

Back