Where to start with Closed Corners?

Emibub

PFG, Picture Framing God
I have a customer who has a gallery in Santa Fe that might want to represent him, they have informed him his art needs to be framed in the closed corner gold frames to be hung in their gallery. He was told he can usually get them for between 1K and 2K. He is a western artist(probably the best artist I have framed for ever)he wants to keep it simple, not too ornate, simple motifs int he corners if any. Is it possible to find either ready made or custom made closed corners for say a 24x36 for anywhere near one to two thousand dollars? If so, can any of you suggest particular places to start. He is your typical starving artist but he does know the value of a nice frame and obviously needs to progress to this level. He would like to give the business to me.

I don't really have any intentions of getting into closed corners for the time being as I really don't think I have the customer base for them. I know the corners cost money and I am willing to pay for them in order to make a sale, but, I could use some direction on which suppliers to look at in this price range.

Thanks for any leads.

Find out if they need to be karat gold, or if metal leaf will suffice. There are a couple manufacturers of metal leaf closed corner frames that would fall well within the budget. There are even some very well made ready-mades that might do the trick.
Check out www.europeanartframecompany.com

Many choices from Munn, Thanhardt Burger, AMCI (and others) in the $1K / 2K range for that size (12 ft. X 3" wide).

Kathy,

Should be no problem. APF/Munn has an American Impressionist 3 1/3 inch 22k gold (AMIMP-312CB)that fits your description beautifully at $150 a foot retail for 24 x 36 = $1875 in Antique Gold or $2025 in Special Gold #2 as sampled. If you can get a Munn for that, it should be no problem meeting the price range $1k to $2k for your customer. Check Regence for Carved Antique Woods (Rosewood, Pino and Mora) with 22k Gold trim. I've used #1236 Rosewood 2 1/2 inch @ $90 a foot on Western art - it's stunning.

Pat :D

Wow, you guys are the best! I had no idea where to start. What would any of us do without this place?

There is another company as well... I think they are Epoch Arts but I left the catalog at home so can't say for 100%.

Saw them at the NY gift show the other week and they had REALLY nice closed corner TABLETOPS and Wall frames. Ask them about their easel backs. Honestly the nicest backs for ready mades I have seen.

Originally posted by Emibub:
Wow, you guys are the best! I had no idea where to start. What would any of us do without this place?
I for one would be trying to beat the 50-75% off coupons of the BB's and probably closing my doors for good!

We (Rhonda Feinman Custom Frames) manufacture custom made genuine gold leaf frames in the price range you mentioned. All are hand carved wood, and gilded in 22kt gold, to your specifications. I would be pleased to send you more info.

Kathy,

It looks like yours is one of those dreamy calls most framers wish to be greeted with at least once in a while. I had clicked on those links above and all I've seen were every day ornated metal leafed frames. From what you described as being your client's requirements, you definitely need to go with real gold leaf. At that price range you look like a beginner or even worse, like a crook, presenting him with anything less than that. Sorry to put it like that, but Doug and Pat are in fact the only two guys you really need to thank for their help.
Evidently, Rhonda Feinman is to be added to their suggestions. Hi, Rhonda, glad to see you around.

"Men often applaud an imitation and hiss the real thing"
-Aesop (620-560 B.C.)

Whynot, your frames are great but I wasn't sure if you were in the targeted price range. If you are, how about posting your web site for the young lady.

If not, and you are more expensive, you get the bragging rights. No lose situation!

Doug, unfortunately Cornels stuff is Euro. Kathy needs Southwest or Early Californian.

It's a pity Barry Masteller isn't hacking away anymore.

Almon Ricks used to be there in CO..... but I don't remember if they did 23k.

Rhond has VERY nice stuff... but it needs that "cowboy southwest flavor". It's to bad Marty has become so "urbanly priced".

Whynot's web page.
thumbsup.gif

Rhonda contacted me and unfortunately she thought I was looking for 1K to 2K wholesale and in reality I need that to be the retail price. maybe I was too vague on that? I am under the impression there are different levels of closed corners.

My customer is just starting to sell well and not ready to completely leap to the real deal. He told me the gallery in Santa Fe has been removing the frames he has put on his art because they were crap. At first I was insulted but then he confided in me he has been purchasing ready mades for his standard canvases to save money. He assured me that the ones I have framed were sold as I framed them. He said he is learning his lesson and is readyt to go to the next level but he is not financially able to go full tilt yet. It is a growing process.

I hope I didn't insult your sensibilities Cornel by suggesting the price we need. I know yours are way out of the range we need to be in for this deal.

Doug,

There is a very good reason for which my frames are being made in Eastern Europe, don't you think so? Local tradition is one such reason with inexpensive, qualified labor force being the second and the most important.

Fact is that I find it unfair, unchevalier to beat my own drums. When I take the floor I'd rather praise or criticize other manufacturers instead of pushing my product. Getting grumblers become accustomed and increasingly addicted to finer and finer quality handcrafted genuine gold leafed frames takes time, but their education and evolution is more important to me than missing on odd selling opportunities. Real users and connoisseurs can easily spot the (price, quality, artistry) difference between various high end frame manufacturers and go with those who best fit their needs and that's quite perfect with me. ;)

Kathy,

Same price prejudgement fools my competition too. One more reinforcement of it is not gonna hurt me.

Originally posted by Emibub:
... they have informed him his art needs to be framed in the closed corner gold frames to be hung in their gallery.

... He is a western artist...

Western art in gold frames, now that is just wrong. Wouldn't they look much better in rustic wood or maybe a dark mahogany?

To each his own, or her own.

Sorry for the interruption, back to the thread.

Jerry,

That's why I suggested the Antique Woods fom Regence. But - Don't discount the simple beauty of the American Impressionist 22k golds. After all we are talking about the Santa Fe market.

Pat :D

Originally posted by Jerry Ervin:

Western art in gold frames, now that is just wrong.
Funny thing Jerry, those are the exact words my customer used yesterday. Apparently it is what sells though. I was just in Taos this fall and the percentage of what I was framed was in cc golds.

"a gallery in Santa Fe that might want to represent him, they have informed him his art needs to be framed in the closed corner gold frames to be hung in their gallery. "

"Western art in gold frames, now that is just wrong. Wouldn't they look much better in rustic wood or maybe a dark mahogany?"

...a pretty specific requirement is why. But dark or rustic would definitely 'fit' the subject matter better!

Kathy
Found a new company in Vegas located here in Denver area that specialized in closed corners.
Think the name was Platte River, South Platte River will did through my Vegas stuff tonight.
Colleen

Wow, very pretty Pat. Gonna check them out. I've got the afternoon set aside to do just that. Thanks for all input.

Colleen, I had no idea Platte River was producing on a wholesale level. I'll check that out. thanks!

Back