stripping... wood frames

YooperFramer

MGF, Master Grumble Framer
hi handy people,
icon21.gif

ok so, lets say you wanted to strip a badly painted frame down to it's natural wood.
What would you do?
and how much would you charge a customer for the labor on this project? In my case the frame is an 8x10, 3" wide, plain roundedish style.
thanks ya'll

do yourself a favor and sell her a new frame. The chemicals will kill you.

The shop charge ($60/hr) is doubled for this type of work.

I agree with JFeig. If the frame has anything but real wood (compo etc.) it will probably turn gummy with any kind of stripping solvent.

It is VERY difficult to get any wood really stripped smooth once it has been painted (worse yet when painted badly)

Hi Happy,
If any one has ever taken me seriously, this is the time to do so....Don't take on the stripping project. It's one big ole mess, the fumes are horrific and you'll never get all the residue off the old frame to refinish it properly.

We have a furniture restoration shop in our area and if ever any one requests this kind of work, I whip out their phone number. Some customers tell me they called them first and they seemed too expensive. I politely tell them there is a perfectly good reason for their prices, but they are great at what they do and I don't have the proper ventillation or facility to do that kind of work.

Not ashamed to say I know my limitations !!!

Lori

Here in Portland, the Strip Capital of the NorthWest, we send those people to a "Dipper".

They "strip" by dipping the piece of furniture in the tank. Takes about a half hour for a chair... probable about 40 minutes for a frame if there is any leaf.

If there is any compo, it won't come out of the tank...

I have charged regular hourly rates to do stripping of paint or varnish on frames - and with modern products, there are ZERO fumes and no harardous chemicals - there are many "green" strippers on the market - they are great for paint or varnish - NOT compo or leaf!

This stuff goes on with a brush or trowel - let it sit - it does its thing - turns a different color - and y'all just scrape it off! Easy, peasy!

But this is only worth doing to badly painted hardwood frames - not cheesy dimestore frames.

Lots of folks put paint jobs on furniture and frames and woodwork during the depression - so what can be revealed is often a real prize.

I do, however, try my best to convince the customer to do it themselves, since the new strippers are so easy they can very easily follow directions and really do a great job with no fumes.

These new generation products do not even raise the grain so refinishing is also a breeze!

Whole kwestion depends on how much time YOU have!

Originally posted by Framar:
Whole kwestion depends on how much time YOU have!
Loving it!

If you're not familiar with the exact finish type etc then perhaps take it to a paint shop for advice. It should be easy and as Framar said, there is plenty of non-solvent based products available.

thanks so much,

my husband will be doing the whole job, so he has the time. I will let him know about the zero fumes thing. I could get something like that at Menards or my local hometown hardware shop, yes?

Happy, just about any hardware or paint store carries these new types and there are a variety of brands and types, from thick liquids to tubs of color-indicating paste - and the stuff is so safe you can put your bare hands into it!

Back