Searching For Source of large abstract originals and giclees

FramerKat

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level 2
Our South Florida crowd is nutty for abstracts these days...and mostly BIG ones at that. We are looking for sources of originals and giclee reproductions to market in our location. Any artist/company that might have a printed catalog/samples would be optimal, as we can't afford to carry much inventory at the moment.

Third and Wall, Studio El - both will be at WCAF Expo. Scalable art on a multitude of substrates. They do excellent work.

If your clients are like ours, Steven Sorman is your man.

stevensorman.com

stevensorman@yahoo.com

457 West 7th St
Red Wing, MN

We don't handle his prints, but the local art museum had an exhibition of his prints (many of which are very large) and people went gaga. We've framed more of his stuff than I could have ever dreamed.

If you're targeting the low end of the market, I would recommend networking with local art associations. Look for art that you really think might sell and see what terms you can work out. You need to have some basis for an artist agreement that lays out terms, rates, etc. We've done that since 2007 with great results.

Look at books by Tad Crawford; very helpful. "The Artist-Gallery Partnership" and "Legal Guide for the Visual Artist" are good resources. What ever contract you come up with should be looked at by a local contract lawyer that knows the laws of your state.

Steve, thank you for your input. Yes, we do market local artists...but we don't have a whole lot that do the large abstracts that have been so hot here in the last few years. And we are definitely going to be targeting the higher end of the market. Our shop is located right on the border of a very affluent area here and we are looking to draw them in with higher end custom framing and art. We have one vendor that does great giclee canvas reproductions (and originals), Benson-Cobb, and we were just looking to have more than one source.

By "Large," I mean 40 x 60 or larger (and up to 48 x 72 or so). The clientele we are targeting typically has huge spaces to fill, so we need sources for good quality large art.

Hi FramerKat, I run the Custom Framing Dept. in Bradenton, FL at an Office/Art Supply store called Keeton's. I am also an Abstract artist who would be very interested in learning more about what your clients are interested in. I have some large acrylics available, but I also take commissions with a reasonably fast turn around time. Please see my website msgisgoodforyou.com for more if you are still looking for this sort of thing. Also, where are you located in FL?

Attachments

• IMG_4025.JPG
    IMG_4025.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 12
  • SlungLow.jpg
    SlungLow.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 12
  • Gagnon_Mark_9.jpg
    Gagnon_Mark_9.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 12
Actually, I did just pick up some pieces by a local artist...Hilma Koelman...so we're good for now. Wouldn't mind having information for future reference though...and for potential client searches ;).

Hi FramerKat, I run the Custom Framing Dept. in Bradenton, FL at an Office/Art Supply store called Keeton's. I am also an Abstract artist who would be very interested in learning more about what your clients are interested in. I have some large acrylics available, but I also take commissions with a reasonably fast turn around time. Please see my website msgisgoodforyou.com for more if you are still looking for this sort of thing. Also, where are you located in FL?

Thank your for the information! I think that third photo is a nice piece for our clientele...if you don't mind, I'll keep your information on hand for future reference! Also, we're in South Florida...near Fort Lauderdale.

Call me Mr. Cynical if you like, But why not get some huge blank canvases and a few big tubs of paint.
Invite any passing folks to have a go. there was a TV doco on once where someone was doing exactly that.
He had a big warehouse and paid a bunch of homeless people to do their thing and paid them a few quids
which they were more than happy with. The paintings ended up in a swish gallery and went for £££££££s.
The guy was challenged for exploiting the poor homeless peeps. He defended himself by saying that they were
happy with what they got paid and whereas he could sell the stuff for big bucks they couldn't. Fair enough I suppose......o_O

I re-framed a watercolour for a woman once and on dismantling the old frame found it there was what I took to be
an abstract oil on the inside of the backing board. I thought it was quite attractive. I would have happily put a decent
frame on it and hung it on my own wall. When I mentioned it to the lady when she came to pick up the w/c I emerged
that it was a board that she used as a palette to mix paints on and when it was too encrusted she re-purposed it as a
backing board. She didn't want it back.

I left it kicking about the shop and it got a few favorable comments. In the end I gave it away to someone as long as they
paid for a frame. Which they did.
I could have stuck a huge price tag on it and sold it like that. But I am too conscientious for my own good. :rolleyes::confused:

Actually, Prospero, I have been doing something similar to that. Since we're on a tight small business just opening our doors budget, I have taken some old canvases and scrap mats and painted them in an "abstract" sort of style. I still have my art supplies from art school (I won't say how long ago that was!) and thought I'd finally put them to somewhat good use. I have also been looking out for canvases at thrift stores for me to possibly paint over ;).

That looks great, freakquency! Will definitely keep that website for future reference. How large do the canvases go?
60"x whatever.. largest we've done is 84x60 but it can be as long as needed... print to order .. contact name is Megan and she will give a 10% designer discount. Mention 'Shane'.

Back