Need Help from ParkCity Utah!

j Paul

PFG, Picture Framing God
We framed a little boys baptism suit for a customer that had it professionaly packed and shipped to Park City Utah. They paid for $300.00 insurance on item. (They had told us they were going to hand carry it on the plane) Problem is mounting let go on part of suit.

Now we mounted it with Attach EZ (Don't really want to get into discussion on that tool or method, as I know some here Love it and others hate it) Insurer says that glass didn't break (Musuem) so it is not insured. (I wonder what would be position if frame itself was damaged)We feel that mounting probably broke due to rough handling as the attach EZ can hold weight of Jerseys etc and this little suit should have been no problem.

Now I am willing to pay to have it opened and reattached and closed, even though I don't feel it is really our fault. My mounting and fitting charge was only $41.98. (16x20 size )The local frame shop that the recipent contacted wants $131.00 to do the work. We would like to refer to a Grumbler shop and see what they think.

What would you all do? Refund just what I charged? Pay what the recipents shop wants. Have it sent back to me to redo?
shrug.gif

Your original charge is not relevent to what another shop charges for a unfit and refit plus mounting repair.

With that said, I feel that the $131 quote is extremely high as well.

You did not say how it was shipped, FedEx, UPS etc. Some shippers have limited coverage for "ART". In my opinion, broken glass is not the only damage that can be caused via shipping (ex: water, freezing, vibration) Some electronics will be damaged if G force exceeds X G's. That is probally what happened here. Who is the insurer and what is written in their contract as far as limits of liability?

Have you actually talked to the frame shop in Utah to see what they are including in their quote?

Pay to have it shipped back to you, repair the damage ( if it's your fault ). and ship it back to them at you cost. It's your reputation that is on the line. You alone will have to determine how much is the PR. worth on this one..? You may never see them again and they may never send another customer your way, but and there is always that but...!

I agree my charges are not relevent to what another shop needs to charge, only mentioned charges based on work done and size for a comparison.

Local customer here is supposed to be getting me contact info for the shop son is using in Utah.

I don't know who their professional packer shipper was, but was told the rate was something like $98.00 to ship and insure from NW Ohio to Utah, which also seems high. I have shipped larger pcs than that for about half of the cost.

I know my rep is at stake which is why I am asking questions for advice. It's easy to say just pay for it. Hopefully situations like this don't arise to often. But where and when do you draw the line.
Is it fair and reasonable to spilt cost? I really would like it shipped back, but not for $98.00.

I have been on the "receiving" end of this kind of thing several times. The last being a gallery in Hawaii shipping something to this area. They contacted me and I repaired it for them and the customer was satisfied that it had good care.
Yes it did cost more than if the work had been done here. Let's see, several phone calls between the gallery & myself, several with the customer, extra time to take apart & refit.
Sorry but the other frame shop is being quite reasonable in my opinion.
kaffeetrinker_2.gif

BTW if the other frame shop is a good one, they will be very sensitive to your work and will not cast any negatives toward your shop. They know you are trying to maintain a good relationship with a customer.
kaffeetrinker_2.gif

My concern with shipping it back, and then shipping it again, is what more damage can happen with each additional shipping. They lucked out (!) with only the mounting coming undone, but could possibly result in glass breakage, or other damage.
I agree that, as far as insured, damage is damage, whether it be glass or mounting. Un-done mounting is damage. Why is the client reluctant to having you contact the other frame shop?? I think I'd do it anyway.
Then again, as you mentioned, your rep is good and you want to keep it that way...I wonder what the other shop is charging...Assemble/disassemble, sew/AttachEZ.
Hang in there, and ask the client what you can reasonobly to to make it right, working with the other shop, etc.

Back