Mounting old photograph

kdub

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level 2
Hi everyone,

I have a question and maybe some of you can help. I have a customer who brought in an old hand colored sepia photo that is alreasy mounted to a backing (original mounting from what I can tell and it's a little thinner than matboard). It has rounded corners (though not oval) and the backing material has a curl to it, more so at the ends (so that when it's laid on a table, the left and right side come up off the table). The backing is not that stiff so it will lay "flatter" once secured.

I am planning on mounting it on top of a rag mat board so that we can show the rounded corners and the worn edges. There will be a single mat around that and I will put spacers under that mat so that it raises the glass up off the photo.

What I want to know is there any adhesive/tape I can use that will hold this photo down and still be archival? The photo has damage to it (holes, tears, spots) and some old tape on it from a home repair so it's not in perfect shape and it's solely sentimental in value--I just don't want to add anything that will damage it more.

Thanks in advance for your input.

I'd reply but I don't want to get flamed for suggesting water activated linen tape.

kdub,

It's an old portrait shape from the sounds of it, most likely what I call a rectangle (short or long), they have a sort of cross between a mitered and a radius corner, and . . .

* The portrait itself were made convex, and that shape (plus numerous others), to fit into the same shape frames under a convex glass.

* Don't attempt to flatten it, as it could be damaged (cracks etc).

* If you need to shallow box it into a rectangle shape frame with flat glass, then mat it up taking the shaped opening out to the full size rectangle frame.
Like this . . . except this is the old oval 19-3/4 x 13-1/2 shape . . .

http://www.tudorglass.com.au/images/portraitovalinrectangle1.JPG

This was don under a 22" x 18" convex rectangle glass.

* You can get the frames and convex glass still . . . we make them, and Inline Ovals has them.

http://www.tudorglass.com.au/images/portrectbaltic.jpg

kdub,

It's an old portrait shape from the sounds of it, most likely what I call a rectangle (short or long), they have a sort of cross between a mitered and a radius corner, and . . .

* The portrait itself were made convex, and that shape (plus numerous others), to fit into the same shape frames under a convex glass.

* Don't attempt to flatten it, as it could be damaged (cracks etc).

* If you need to shallow box it into a rectangle shape frame with flat glass, then mat it up taking the shaped opening out to the full size rectangle frame.
Like this . . . except this is the old oval 19-3/4 x 13-1/2 shape . . .

http://www.tudorglass.com.au/images/portraitovalinrectangle1.JPG

This was don under a 22" x 18" convex rectangle glass.

* You can get the frames and convex glass still . . . we make them, and Inline Ovals has them.

http://www.tudorglass.com.au/images/portrectbaltic.jpg

Yes it is pretty much like an old convex picture except that the curve is "in", not out (meaning the center of the picture is recessed, it doesn't come forward). I feels like it might have been flat initially given how easily it does flatten out and the curl has come from improper storage. I have gotten those frames from Inline before (that have the radius corners) but they aren't what the customer was looking for stylistically hence the request for adhesive ideas so it could be shadow boxed.

Yes it is pretty much like an old convex picture except that the curve is "in", not out (meaning the center of the picture is recessed, it doesn't come forward). I feels like it might have been flat initially given how easily it does flatten out and the curl has come from improper storage. I have gotten those frames from Inline before (that have the radius corners) but they aren't what the customer was looking for stylistically hence the request for adhesive ideas so it could be shadow boxed.

Someone has likely stepped or sat on it at some stage !
Maybe you can pop it out, but a risk of damage there perhaps . . . it should look better convex, rather than concave, so maybe client should be counseled before decision is made on that.

Commercial tapes can not be used in place of Japanese tissue hinges and starch paste, if one is setting out to work at an archival or preservation level. proper hinging materials and methods require a modest investment in time and money and should be part of every shop that works with valuable items. Commercial tapes, especially water activated linen and paper tapes are great tools, but are not a proper hinging option.

Hugh

Hugh you are 100% correct, however there are occasions when using a commercial tape is adequate for the task. I am not trying to promote one or the other or making a jugdement on the best method, there is no question about what is best and prefered.

It sounds as though almopst everything wrong has already been done to this poor artwork - stuck on card, bent, torn and generally bashed about so I wouldn't stress too much about how to mount it.

What I would suggest to my customer is to take it to the local lab, have them scan it, clean it up in "Photoshop" or whatever and reprint it still in sepia but on a nice, flat easy-to-frame piece of paper.

The clinching argument is "Then you can keep the original safely in a drawer away from the light" I even make up a folder out of rag matt offcuts for them. Well worth it to avoid a messy, difficult and probably unsatisfying job.

Back