mounting a large laminated map

Nancy S.

Grumbler
The map is about 40x60 and is laminated back and front.

What is the best way to mount it? Is there a spray that will work?

I know not to use heat because included in the package was a nifty little note that says heat is a no no. :D

Thank you,
Nancy

Nancy, here is a previous thread on this very thing. http://www.thegrumble.com/cgibin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=005234

I have heat mounted these things - sometimes with good success and sometimes with the surface becoming hazy
cry.gif
so I can't recommend it unless you're feeling lucky.

Suggestions:

Whatever method you use to mount, clean surface with glass cleaner and or weak ammonia water. Quite often laminates will have a silicon coating applied and it needs to be removed before any mounting method is used. The reason the silicon is coating is applied is, if the laminator used a roll for the laminate material and it is a cold laminator, the silicon keeps the material from adhering to itself.

Also countermount and/or use gator board, 1/2' fom cor or the like to prevent the warpage associated with such mounting. On one such map I mounted I actually had to construct a wooden frame on the back with cross pieces to prevent warpage even with a Nielson metal frame.

Dave Makielski

Ron, I read the complete thread from 2003 (it was a short thread), thank you for the link. The note included with the map did say that heat will make it hazy. And no, I don't feel lucky today. Just tired.

Dave, Thank you for the tips. I am using a strong wood frame but the frame itself will not help with center bowing. Your cross-piece method sounds good if I can just get the darn thing mounted.

This piece has not been treated kindly, but the customer is first-rate all the way so I'd like to help her with this. A new map is $50 plus shipping without the laminate, but then I would have to glaze the big boy.

I'll let you know if I kill it, intentionally or by accident.

Nancy

I have had very good luck mounting laminated maps and posters on 1/4" FoamCore using Vac-U-Mount Spray and putting in the Vacuum Cold press for about 5-8 minutes. Be sure to use an even coating of the adhesive spray on the entire surface of the laminated work. I've used this method for years and the results have been good.

Back