Moulding info thanks

nzsky

Grumbler
Business
Tile Gallery
Hi everyone.

I'm wanting to use a frame moulding the NZ agent calls Di Santo Black / Silver. It has what I think is a silver foil lip. My sample seems to have oxidized, or become discoloured from my sweaty paws maybe, and I don't like that. Otherwise it would be perfect for my series. See the brown spotchyness on the silver lip - attached. It might have arrived like this but not sure to be honest. I have a different silver moulding that arrived at the same time and it's fine ie. still silver, even looks like the same foil as the Di Santo moulding - same cross hatch pattern. I asked the agent about it but they were not helpful. Can anyone explain how these are made and if the discoloration is normal or can be avoided? Has anyone seen this moulding before? Thank you.
Andrew

Attachments

• 20210112_203626 2.jpg
    20210112_203626 2.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 20210112_203753 2.jpg
    20210112_203753 2.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 20210112_203826 2.jpg
    20210112_203826 2.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 18
Hard to tell when not knowing what it looked like in the first place.

How old is the sample?

Also, samples from years ago might not reflect current stock, a problem we all run in to too many times unfortunately.

Just looking at the photos, it looks like that brownish finish might be intentional. But hard to tell really

Hard to tell when not knowing what it looked like in the first place.

How old is the sample?

Also, samples from years ago might not reflect current stock, a problem we all run in to too many times unfortunately.

Just looking at the photos, it looks like that brownish finish might be intentional. But hard to tell really
The samples are about a year old. I thought maybe someone might be familiar with this moulding but as you say, it might change anyway. I'll just have to go back to them and view the new stock (5 hour drive). Thank you.
Andrew

I wouldn't expect that kind of discoloring after just a year.
Is there any chance they could send you a chip of the stock they have? Usually suppliers are willing to do that.
Yes I can request another sample, probably a good start. I'm also a bit concerned about how straight the mouldings are. The one remaining length they had in stock last time I was there was bowed beyond usability (for my 1.2m long frames anyway). Is there a standard or rule of thumb as to how bowed mouldings can be and still be deemed acceptable?

Another difficult one to answer. In a perfect world, we would not accept any warped moulding.
For me, it depends on the size of the frame and the moulding itself. If I can join the corners perfectly, then it might not be a problem.

Another difficult one to answer. In a perfect world, we would not accept any warped moulding.
For me, it depends on the size of the frame and the moulding itself. If I can join the corners perfectly, then it might not be a problem.
Thank you for your help, appreciated

Back