Gloss black is back

Framing Goddess

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
...or maybe it never left?

I have (another) customer who has to have a black lacquer frame for which I (amazingly) have no sample.

It's got to be lacquer (no laminates) and it should be about 1.5"-2" wide and a flat profile. No stair steps, no bullnoses, no round caps, just flat and square. The edges can be the tiniest bit rounded, if need be. Any depth'll do.

Gosh, I used to see mouldings like this everywhere (yeah, I know I'm dating myself...)now where are they hiding??

Any wise old framers know where I can find this one?

edie the weuseditwithmauvemats goddess

Tracy Chop has a 2" black lacquer, but it does have a rounded face. You might try Max or AMPF, or possibly Studio. I'm at home now, or I'd look 'em up for you.
:cool: Rick

Edie, how many feed do you need? Garrett Moulding can do short runs of any of their profiles [250'-300'].

They nice thing is they can run it on wood withOUT a shell....

They have a line of black shot directly on maple that is made to be tough and durable for artists who drag stuff from show to show.

Geez, is Nagel back? Break out the mauve mats.
NC15.jpg

We're getting requests for it here in New Mexico for Japanese and Chinese art. I, too, having been looking for black lacquer (not laminate). Can't find it.
shrug.gif

Dave, we have a Nagel "Playboy II" for sale.

And for the "Male" version of your Nagel, I have an Otsuka "Spirit of Musashi".

Hey, Duran Duran is back together and touring now. Some friends of mine saw them a couple of weeks ago, and said it was a great concert.
sleep.gif
Rick

Man, I lobbed this one out there and you all sure are having some fun tossing it around!

I am not going to spoil your fun and tell you that the husband came in and picked out something else. Luckily while he was here, he talked his wife out of wanting a mat made of clear coroplast! :eek:

Now, where were we?

I remember using lots of black lacquer on boring, nighttime color photo posters of Cleveland.
sleep.gif

edie the dontforgettealmats goddess

Edie

I had some, can't remember who, maybe it was Decor or Omega. I threw them out one day when I remembered my previous life selling furniture. That stuff was a sure fire call back on a dining room set. Showed EVERYTHING!!! Pianos are the same. Although beautiful...

Did not want to relive that world with framing...good luck.

Dave, why did you have to go and post that picture? I was hoping to wind down my career without ever having to see one of those things again. We framed so darn many of them, can't even remember the number.

I honestly feel sorry for all those folks who "invested" in that stuff. The money they spent framing them. Actually, now that I think about it, Nagel was probably one of the best things to happen to our industry back then. There never really was a cheap way to frame those things.

John

Back