Framed acrylic shadowbox

Diana S

Grumbler in Training
Would someone please post a photo of a flanged edge on an acrylic box without the frame. My fabricator can't seem to understand what I'm looking for. Thank you!

Welcome back.

Here you go...

Dimensions of the edge strips are typically 1/4" wide, to fit under the frame's lip, and 3/8" to 1/2" high, to fit the rabbet depth of the frame.

I normally specify black edge strips, because they are less conspicuous under the frame's lip than clear edges.

Attachments

• Photo-The Edge 7-07.jpg
    Photo-The Edge 7-07.jpg
    512.6 KB · Views: 22
And you likely already know this, but make sure the frame's opening will fit over the box. A wider than usual rabbet width, in combination with a narrower base edge strip, can sometimes result in an opening that's too small to fit. This won't happen if the box is ordered based on the sight size, but if it's based on the back opening size of the frame, it's important to check for this.

Last edited:
Welcome back.

Here you go...

Dimensions of the edge strips are typically 1/4" wide, to fit under the frame's lip, and 3/8" to 1/2" high, to fit the rabbet depth of the frame.

I normally specify black edge strips, because they are less conspicuous under the frame's lip than clear edges.
Thank you! Is this what is called a flanged edge? Is that just strips of acrylic that they attach to the outside of the box?

Also, where are the screw holes to attach the box to the base? Thanks!!!
I think these are held in place with fitting points like a more traditional frame. The back of the acrylic box with the flange would provide the rabbet. No need to screw the box to a strainer insert as with acrylic boxes without frames.
IMG_0261.jpg

Last edited:
Back