Opinions Wanted Endless Summer Flourescent poster

Melinda Tennis

MGF, Master Grumble Framer
Forum Donor
Business
Melinda's
According to the publisher, the flourescent inks are very UV reactive. The customer wants to hang the poster, like we did in the sixties. No frame or glazing. So, cover with PrintGard and use flourescent painted rare earth magnets? What say you all?

If they want to hang it like we did in the 60's, rent them a staple gun. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :faintthud:

UV reactive meaning they glow under black lights.
If they were going to fade from UV light, they would have all disappeared long ago.

Same with fluorescent minerals (Franklinite, etc.) that also glow under a Black light. They don't fade away. It is a different reaction than inks or paints that fade from the UV wavelengths.

Plus, they said they wanted to display it like we did back then so...

Mount it to gator board and add a foam hook to the back.

Painting the magnets is meant to make them the same color as the poster. I checked online and the poster sells for $1000. The PrintGard is supposedly UV protective. I don't know the percent protection but better than none. Of course, I suspect, the poster is going to hang at the beach, so forget UV protection being of any use.

Attachments

• IMG_2209.JPG
    IMG_2209.JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 13
Will PrintGard take away fluorescent abilities? If its inexpensive and replaceable, go with a simple poster hanger, or as framah suggested. ;) Now it's really authentic.
Sign paint such as 1Shot is designed for protecting fluorescent color.

1610210980865.png

Last edited:
Since this poster is worth $1000, I suggest taking no chances with it. I have no experience with fluorescent images, but if anything were to go wrong in your handling of it, you'd be stuck with it. For example, would the flourescent inks react with any particular coating?

That's my main worry about the PrintGard. More research needed.
Since you're not framing this, I'm guessing there is precious little revenue involved. So, would you charge the customer for your time to do the research, or charge it off to training expense? And what if the research says NO to PrintGard?
:oops:

I have already added my time to the work order, the paint for the rare earth magnets is very expensive and the PrintGard process is time consuming. I'll find out soon, if it is even possible. If it's NO then it'll just be the painted magnets.

The $1,000 value puts me right in Ylva's court.

Tell them that their way is not anything you would do to a piece worth $1,000.

Now... did the customer say it was worth $1,000????

Just because it is going for that much online, doesn't meant it really is worth that. Plus, the one someone found has a signature on it which might bring the value up.

Have a serious talk with them about the ACTUAL value and that they way THEY want it isn't anything you want to do.
Sure as shootin' as soon as someone throws a beer at it and destroys it, it will be priceless.

Just nosed around on Google and found an original w/o signature for $550.

Wish them luck and wave goodbye.

The UV that makes the ink or pigments fluoresce are the same ones that accelerate the oxidation process of the paper. If you want to preserve the poster, it should be protected from UV, but then it would lose its "cool" factor.
If Print Guard is what I think it is, it would be altering the poster permanently, voiding any perceived or real value.

I have done one of thee in the recent past, but it was a salvage job for one that had been displayed in a traditional manner (4 thumb tacks). The paper was torn in spots, and the inks scuffed and soiled. I dry mounted it and did a little surface cleaning, matted and framed, and it looked great.

If the piece is question is in good condition, it should be framed properly to keep it that way. If they insist...
Just.
Say.
No.

This is a brand new poster and the cost from the publisher is $1000. I agree that it should be framed properly. We'll see if the customer agrees, I don't think they will. So I'll give them painted magnets.

If it is the image I found online, they can get a cheap version from AllPosters for $14. If they want to display something like this, I'd suggest buying the cheap one and preserving the original.

James

This is a brand new poster and the cost from the publisher is $1000. I agree that it should be framed properly. We'll see if the customer agrees, I don't think they will. So I'll give them painted magnets.
I'm confused here...
A brand new poster..meaning it was just printed..now?
..and the publisher wants $1,000 for it?

So, it's NOT an original, antique poster but a brand new one?

Again... the publisher wants $1,000 for a COPY??

THAT'S weird!!
If it is a current reprint of the original poster and it is from the original silk screens that made the original, it still wouldn't make it worth that much as it isn't the original printed in 1966.
It is a later edition printing of it in 2020.

The only time I have seen later printing from the original plates be worth almost as much as the original ones are James Audubon's birds. Beautiful and exactly like the originals but NOT the originals. Merely later editions of the originals.

Like Mr. Lafontsee said, it is available now for very low prices as copies usually are.

Tho, I'm sure there will always be people out there who will throw their money away because someone told them it was worth thousands and if they said that, then it MUST be true.

This whole thing is making less sense all the time.

Still wouldn't take the job.

Back