Combining mat with a mounted poster/print on foam core.

tombe

True Grumbler
Business
Benish Studios
What would you do to combine a mat to a poster/print mounted to foamcore. Mat has to be on very exact as the opening comes very close to edge of image. With more leeway I suppose one could hinge it as normal or use super care to line up. One thing I have done along the top is to use some ATG to hold in place while the glue I used sets up. Glue used was either Lineco PVA adhesive or Lascaux acrylic adhesive 303 HV. What do you think. Other problem is customer wants only a 1"mat for certain reasons which might also cause a problem with hinging mat.

tombe, how is the item mounted to the foamcore backer?
Is it t-hinged, dry mounted, archival strips?
Are archival techniques being used, or are decorative level techniques permissable?

Is there a reason neither of the methods you have mentioned (hinging or glueing) can't be used?

1" matt is quite narrow I agree, but I don't see why hinging won't work. That's still plenty of space to attach a hinge, isn't it?

If using the glue method, use only tiny little drops as far from the window opening as possible.

I'm assuming you are meaning dry mounted to FC. I am doing this right now and am capturing 1/16" of the images from Print on Demand (POD) giclee pieces. 3M 924 AG around the perimeter with a couple spots of glue if needed. I don't worry at all about preservation as the client remodels about every 10-15 years and a majority of what the have will be disposed of. I'm using MountCor and the perimeter of the board is exposed to the back of the matting and the adhesive is still fairly aggressive. I don't think those mats are going anywhere.

1" mats? Really? Going for 70's retro look?
The primary problem with skinny (AKA skimpy) matting is the 1/8" allowance comes into play with things really showing up if borders are uneven and/or not parallel. Something that may need to be pointed out to them. 1/8" on 1" is 12.5% and that is a huge proportionate amount of variability.

The print/poster will be drymounted to mountcore with a 1" mat as of now. I need to attach/combine mat and drymounted item in some way. Can read original post. By hinging, I meant booking mat to mountcore which seems pretty impratical in this case. I need to hold mat in place and what I was thinking of is some glue along the top of mat (ATG simply the to hold for glue.). I have done it in the past when a print/poster was dry mounted to foamboard and had a mat that needed to be placed very exact. These were/are basic posters without preservation concerns . I have gone all around item with the ATG/Clue combo but found just doing it on top part of mat was better in case it needed to be removed. Basically just trying to hold mat in place and glue method seems good to me when exactness is needed or probably in other cases.. Booking mat would be ok if things didn't need to be so exact for mat opening. Reason for 1" mat (showing) as it is going in a very small place and that is what he wanted. Did discuss it. I should say this is only about a 16x20 poster print I am talking about here but seems fine to do to larger ones with mats(s).

Last edited:
Back