ArtGlass vs Ultravue

Canadian Corners

Grumbler in Training
We have been using Ultravue 70 and 92% glass in our shop for the last 4 years or so, and sell a TON of it.
Our rep has been pushing us to use ArtGlass (Made in Latvia!) instead - has anyone used it? Opinions?
It is slightly cheaper, but I wonder if there is a downside. Our regular customers have finally learned the Ultravue terminology, I hate to confuse them.

i have used both and have seen no difference. Even putting them side by side.
At the start of thought it was the same just rebranded.

Get a pack and compare the 2. if you see no difference, then you can always purchase based on cost price, or on sale price.

Artglass i wonderful - I have no experience with Ultravue.

ArtGlass is slightly thinner, but it cuts about the same. Tru Vue (makers of Ultravue) sells a product that is not available to you at a considerably discounted price to your biggest competitor (making a bunch of assumptions in that statement) giving them a considerable market advantage over you. Groglass (makers of ArtGlass) do not, as far as I know. I have no interest in spending extra money with a company so that they can afford to give a huge advantage to my biggest competitor, but that's just me.

Ed

I have gone through many, many cases of both glass types. The prices are essentially the same in my area so I usually pick up whichever is more convenient. However, I prefer Artglass as I find it typically has a superior anti-friction coating coverage. UltraVue's tends to be more spotty--sometimes it cleans smoothly and other times you encounter patches that feel like the old Museum Glass did several years ago. There has also been a higher rate of glass flaws found in TruVue's product in our shop. And while this may just be my eye, I find that Artlglass handles reflections slightly better as well. They seem to be more subdued when compared side-by-side.

Much prefer Artglass, and I’ve tried both. Great product.

The fact that TruVue pricing allows big box stores to undercut us independent stores is a turn off for me. However, I find both brands equally well made and easy to sell.

Our rep has been pushing us to use ArtGlass (Made in Latvia!) instead - has anyone used it? Opinions? It is slightly cheaper, but I wonder if there is a downside.
You're lucky to have easy access to both brands with competitive prices and free delivery - many of us still don't have that luxury.

Tru Vue has dominated the American framing market for decades. ArtGlass has been around for several years now, and is known to produce good products, but opinions vary, as usual. The best thing to do is compare both and then decide for yourself. My observation is that the way framers clean the glass (liquid solution and type of cloth) has a lot to do with personal preferences.

Our regular customers have finally learned the Ultravue terminology, I hate to confuse them.
That may not be an issue that customers would lose sleep over, but one way to deal with it is to talk in generic terms instead of brand-specific terms. That is, tell them you're using anti-reflection glass that filters XX% of UV radiation, and transmits XX% of visible light. When the quality and specifications are comparable, brand names become unimportant.

Last edited:
We have been using Ultravue 70 and 92% glass in our shop for the last 4 years or so, and sell a TON of it.
Our rep has been pushing us to use ArtGlass (Made in Latvia!) instead - has anyone used it? Opinions?
It is slightly cheaper, but I wonder if there is a downside. Our regular customers have finally learned the Ultravue terminology, I hate to confuse them.
With the most recent changes by TruVue, I find the competing brands to be very similar and comparable.

One problem I had at times was with the TV Museum glass. Customers would say, "well, I'm not a museum." Then not buy it. I changed all my displays to have MY Gallery terminology, not either of the glass vendors. Now, for example, if they want optically coated conservation glass, I give them whichever is selling for the best price when I go to buy it.

we have displays on our design tables showing the truVue and ArtGlass products side by side; ArtGlass typically sells itself.

we have displays on our design tables showing the truVue and ArtGlass products side by side; ArtGlass typically sells itself.
Which products? I find that like to like (i.e. Water white to water white or optically coated to optically coated) no one can tell them apart.

I felt pretty strongly that the GroGlass's brands were much easier to handle and work with, but the latest changes to the TruVue products have mitigated that a lot. Not completely, but enough in my opinion as to be irrelevant.

I really believe we are down to price being the deciding factor.

I really believe we are down to price being the deciding factor.
...And availability, for some of us. Shipping glass costs a bloody fortune.

Tru Vue has a strong relationship with most of its many distributors, but if you're among the framers who like ArtGlass and can't get it competitively, tell your favorite distributors.

...And availability, for some of us. Shipping glass costs a bloody fortune.

Tru Vue has a strong relationship with most of its many distributors, but if you're among the framers who like ArtGlass and can't get it competitively, tell your favorite distributors.
Yes! Couldn't agree more! When I say "cost," I assume "cost" implies "landed cost" which includes shipping. And, I am happy I have some truck delivery competition to my shop.

Art glass is better!

It sure isn't better, it's different. Maybe someday someone will produce water white low iron glass with 99% UV protection (and not based on reflective protection). Laminated glass is out of the question for all but the most expensive framing.

It sure isn't better, it's different. Maybe someday someone will produce water white low iron glass with 99% UV protection (and not based on reflective protection). Laminated glass is out of the question for all but the most expensive framing.
Pat, I think there may be some confusion on the term "Artglass." It's generic, not specific

ARTGLASS 99™ (comparable to TV Conservation Clear)
ARTGLASS AR 70™ (comparable to TV UltraVue)
ARTGLASS AR 92™ (no TV comp to my knowledge)
ARTGLASS AR 99™ (comparable to TV Museum)

Ah, the AR 99 is new to me. Is the UV standard based on reflection?
It's been a while since I went through all this, but as I recall, reflective coatings can provide up to 92% UV blocking, and any greater percentage of UV blocking requires a separate, absorptive coating. So, like the Tru Vue products, ArtGlass 99 and ArtGlass AR 99 both must have a separate, absorptive coating in addition to the anti-reflection coatings.

Is that correct, Cliff?

It's been a while since I went through all this, but as I recall, reflective coatings can provide up to 92% UV blocking, and any greater percentage of UV blocking requires a separate, absorptive coating. So, like the Tru Vue products, ArtGlass 99 and ArtGlass AR 99 both must have a separate, absorptive coating in addition to the anti-reflection coatings.

Is that correct, Cliff?
Yes, exactly. The "Artglass 99" have an absorptive UV coating.

However, in some discussions with engineers, the 92% number might not be a limiting or definitive number as technology improves, but that is way more involved and technical than we need to be. Suffice it to say, Reflective isn't as good as Absorptive for conservation purposes.

Pat Murphey said:
Ah, the AR 99 is new to me. Is the UV standard based on reflection?
No

One thing I haven't gotten a good answer for is why there isn't an absorptive coating on a water white base.
From things I have been told, I am guessing that the absorptive coating actually imparts a color cast.
The vendors design the color cast to counter act the natural color cast of the glass as best they can.
There is still a cast however.
Therefore, the current technology of absorptive coating would defeat the purpose of using water white glass.
Some people, with a particular visual acuity, can still see the color cast of the AR 99 products.

Here's the basic spec of the artglass equivalent to con clear & museum.

Attachments

• artglass spec.jpg
    artglass spec.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 36
  • artglass spec2.jpg
    artglass spec2.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 25
Here's the basic spec of the artglass equivalent to con clear & museum.

Interesting that the ArtGlass 99 is only 2mm thick while the AR99 and all of TruVue's glass options are 2.5mm thick. I imagine that it is a little lighter, but makes for a slightly weaker product. Has anyone noticed a difference in handling or durability because of this?

James

Interesting that the ArtGlass 99 is only 2mm thick while the AR99 and all of TruVue's glass options are 2.5mm thick. I imagine that it is a little lighter, but makes for a slightly weaker product. Has anyone noticed a difference in handling or durability because of this?

James
I haven't had any issues with it being thinner, but I tend to buy 2.5mm if it gets bigger than 36 x 48. I had one almost 40 x 60 job that the customer insisted on Water White, so I used the 2mm. Didn't notice any issues.

Is Artglass available in the USA? I cannot find a distributor.
Artglass is a product of GroGlass.
We use it occasionally and we get it from our local CMI distributor.
I have used the 70 and the 99.

I'm not sure why GroGlass seems to make it hard to find their products but....:shrug:

Am I the only person who read all the posts before realising its from 2 and half years ago ! :rolleyes:
Apart from the last 2 posts

I'm not sure why GroGlass seems to make it hard to find their products but....:shrug:
The issue is distribution. TruVue has an extensive, long-established network of distributors under contract. In many cases, unlike the matboard business, competitive glazing products are locked out.

If you want to buy ArtGlass from your local distributors, then you'll need to tell them so. I'm guessing Groglass would welcome conversations with distributors, or whatever suggestions you might have about getting their products to framers.

Last edited:
It might be a couple of years old but I still find it very helpful thank you. I get the transport issues too. I have to get glass delivered 1200km with no insurance to cover any of the transport companies.

It might be a couple of years old but I still find it very helpful thank you. I get the transport issues too. I have to get glass delivered 1200km with no insurance to cover any of the transport companies.
If those were my circumstances, I might only offer acrylic.

I have used both extensively and I prefer Groglass. I think it handles better and the surface is a little bit more durable.
but both are good.

Regarding availability of Artglass...
On the Framers Only forum a couple of days ago, Artglass announced a new direct-shipping program for their best product to American framers.

If you're among the Artglass fans wishing for better access, check it out.

Back