Another one of our "unusual" projects

neilframer

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Business
Rectangles
A hand made shutter frame of an Italian street scene as it might be seen thru a window on the street.
The paint on the shutter frame was made to intentionally look old and weathered to match the shutters on the street in the photo and I even suggested painting faux bird droppings on the window sill...:p
The Grumble won't allow me to post the movie so here are a few screen shots...
Screen Shot 2016-10-29 at 7.44.12 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-10-29 at 7.44.24 PM.png
View attachment 25455
Screen Shot 2016-10-29 at 7.45.12 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-10-29 at 7.53.07 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-10-29 at 7.45.01 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-10-29 at 7.46.04 PM.png

Like it. You're right - it is unusual. Tell us more about why the customer wanted the look. Where will it be displayed?

Like it. You're right - it is unusual. Tell us more about why the customer wanted the look. Where will it be displayed?
It's just for in the home.
They wanted the frame to look like they were looking out the window at the street scene.
It will most likely be hung and displayed with the shutters open.

Just as an aside, I was not supposed to work today, I worked 5 days this week.
My boss usually works Saturdays but he had to take the day off to be with his son at a running track meet as he is a triathlon coach.

Our part time guy in the shop was supposed to work today.
I was going to replace the front struts on my car at home today and I stopped by the shop to pick up some white paint to mark the location of the struts and get some of my tools that I keep at the shop.

We are open from 12:00 to 4:00 on Saturday and I got to the shop at 12:05.
I found that the shop was not open and then I found out that the part time guy's car was broken down and he was stranded.

The next thing I know is that I am slammed with customers.
I hadn't even turned on the "OPEN" sign.
I came to the shop and I hadn't even shaved or taken a shower thinking that I would be working on my car today.:eek:

I took in 9 pictures from 3 customers and had 2 customers pick up their framing.:p
The phone was ringing and I had to let it go to voice mail.

The part time guy got a ride after having his car towed and he showed up at 2:30.
He couldn't even clock in because I was still on the sales computer working with a customer.
Then another customer came in and I gave it over to the part time guy.;)

It's all good and we had an amazing day and all of the customers were new ones.
I worked with one lady who brought in $900 in framing and she was from Chicago and so am I.
She liked me so much that she is bringing in 2 more pictures on Monday and she only wants to work with me.:D

What a crazy day...:confused:

I got home at about 3:15 and I managed to replace one of my front struts and I will replace the other one on Sunday.
I was hoping to get all of my car stuff done on Saturday so that I could relax on Sunday, but oh, well...:cool:

Last edited:
Same here. On my own today, and no time for lunch.

Coincidentally, you may have started something: for quite a while I've been wracking my brain trying to think of a new way to present art. Never have I seen shutters. Your idea would be really cool for a front window display. I'd add to it by putting in some sort of backlighting.

Coincidentally, you may have started something: for quite a while I've been wracking my brain trying to think of a new way to present art. Never have I seen shutters. Your idea would be really cool for a front window display. I'd add to it by putting in some sort of backlighting.

Lunch? What Is this thing you call "Lunch"?:rolleyes:

Many

Over the years I've used used shutters and old windows, some with old bubbled glass, thinner at the top, flowed thicker at the bottom. A few I've replaced all of the glass with Museum acrylic. Projects like these are materials and multi-hours of labor. If a customer is in my system with a "Frequent Framer" discount they don't get it on this type of labor intensive job.

In addition, with customer permission, if they are reframing or repairing something, and did not want that old glass I would wrap it carefully and save it for other restoration projects. Amazing how much I could charge for old glass like that:cool:. Very tricky to cut. Never would say to a customer I could do it if I didn't have a couple extra pieces in case the first was too brittle and uncooperative.

Anyway, love your shutters. Pure, exquisite craftsmanship and design.

Back