A waste of money?

Marc Lizer

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
Can someone awnser this?

Why do I get THREE different publications from PPFA?

It just seems like a waste.

I get the monthly Photo Marketing mag, AMD a monthly newsletter.

Now the framer section of the mag is pretty thin (8 pages, with add, for this month).

and the Newsletter was 9 pages of some of the same, and some different.

So we pay the staff for the Mag.

Then we pay the printing and the mailing for it.

Then we do it all again with the Newsletter. The Newsletter even gets put in a page sized envelope (stuffing costs and large size mailing fee, and envelope cost), as opposed to folded and mailed as is.

Why not have that info in the Mag, and not have the PPFA section so thin and pathetic?

Why pay double printing and double mailing costs (no matter how cheap it is).

Ten, there is the marketing extra info mini booklet thingy. I think that is Quartely.

Why not put that in the Mag. and make an actual good publicaiton?

Originally posted by Marc Lizer:
Why not have that info in the Mag, and not have the PPFA section so thin and pathetic?

I have to agree that the magazine is sad, great if you are into photography or developing, but sad if you are a framer. It pales in comparison to either Decor or PFM.

I've heard through the grapevine that there are some changes in the works that involves consolidation of some of the publications by PPFA in an effort to become more effecient.

Sorry, don't know the details but maybe someone in the know could chime in.

Not too many years ago, we received the PMA magazine, the "mini-lab newsletter", the PSPA (professional school photographers) newsletter, and the DIMA (Digital imagers) newsletter - all individually mailed in separate envelopes.

Later, in a cost saving move, PMA began faxing the newsletters. That lasted several months & has since been replaced by e-mail editions.

It is unfair to compare PMA's publication to PFM or Decor as PMA is the PHOTO marketing Association!

Just a suggestion, with some of those articles, (mainly on marketing & advertising) try substituting "Photo Developing" with "Picture Framing" - You might pick-up some new ideas ;)

frankly, I get the mag and almost always chuck it in the dumpster without reading it. Then my employee-whose other job is a professional photographer--retrieves it and takes it home.

I wonder too about the justification of that AND a newsletter, the latter I find quite informational. Esp. the guerilla marketing stuff which is one of the few reasons I still am a PPFA member

Back