Problem full mat board size?

GreenDaisy

Grumbler
Recently I had to cut 4 16x20 mat board, I thought I could use one full 32x40 sheet. I tried Perterboro mat board and realized, first, the corners of the full sheet are not exact right angle, second, they are not 32", but 1/16" short, I ended up using two sheets for the 4 16x20s.

I wonder if it is normal for every brand,

Thanks,

Yeah, that's pretty typical in my experience. Mat board manufacturing isn't exactly a precision engineering enterprise, I'm sure. Normally considering the frames rabbet a little variance won't make any difference but if complete accuracy is required 2 16x20's per board is all you can count on.

I would have made the 15 31/32" work. It's not rocket surgery.
But yes, any of the sheet goods we get can vary +/-, usually on the + side, but if I find that anything varies consistently under-sized, I drop that from my offerings. Not getting 4 16 X 20's from a 32 X 40 is not acceptable.
Equally annoying are stock sheets of acrylic that come in 1/16-1/4" oversized. If I need a 40 X 60 for a frame that size, and it comes in slightly over, it is a real pain to shave off the right amount of extra.

Equally annoying are stock sheets of acrylic that come in 1/16-1/4" oversized. If I need a 40 X 60 for a frame that size, and it comes in slightly over, it is a real pain to shave off the right amount of extra.

For me, that's a feature not a bug. I buy in 48x96 sheets. If I do a couple of 18x24 pieces and the acrylic is 1/8" oversize (the size of my saw kerf), then I can get the two pieces out of a 18x48 pieces. With my table saw dedicated to acrylic, I can shave off 1/64" easily.

I just filled an order for 10 18x24 pieces of UV/NG and got it out of one sheet with little waste.

For those that don't have a table saw for acrylic, the extra can be a pain but acrylic can be wet or dry sanded to to remove a small amount.

UK famer here, I can say we have never had an undersized sheet, most of ours are 32 X 44" and are either Bob on but usually an eighth over, confusingly some of ours are 813 X 1200 and some others that are 800 X 1200.

I toured the Peterboro plant. The "boards" are actually laminated in a long, continuous length. As they come off the machine, there is something called a flying knife that travels with the moving boards and slices them "on the fly." I am amazed that they can be +/- 1/16" at that speed. I have expressed my unhappiness to them that their boards are often undersized instead of oversized. Since my CMC cut OD and also ID, I was never too concerned about the squaring issue - but that is also a problem.

Alan Yaffe is the president and he is very accessible by phone. If he isn't available, ask for Bernard. I think they would welcome your feedback. (866) 292-3031

FWIW I have noticed that Peterboro boards are "less square" than other manufacturers. Haven't had undersized though. Knowing this I check for square before cutting if I need to use the whole sheet.

one of our new Mat board suppliers the sheets are exactly as stated every time to the mm and seem to be perfectly in square, I do not know if they use some new technique or not.

I toured the Peterboro plant. The "boards" are actually laminated in a long, continuous length. As they come off the machine, there is something called a flying knife that travels with the moving boards and slices them "on the fly." I am amazed that they can be +/- 1/16" at that speed. I have expressed my unhappiness to them that their boards are often undersized instead of oversized. Since my CMC cut OD and also ID, I was never too concerned about the squaring issue - but that is also a problem.

Alan Yaffe is the president and he is very accessible by phone. If he isn't available, ask for Bernard. I think they would welcome your feedback. (866) 292-3031

Thank you, I will definitely call them to let them know.

FWIW I have noticed that Peterboro boards are "less square" than other manufacturers. Haven't had undersized though. Knowing this I check for square before cutting if I need to use the whole sheet.

If I want to use the full sheet to cut to two 20s, and if it is not square, it is very difficult to trim the small edge off because the blade flexes. I end up using more mat boards. Very frustrating!

It's always a pain when you have to go to the max theoretical size of a board. In reality there's always going
to be a little ding or a bent corner which spoils the apple cart. Same with moulding. The end inch or two tends
to be a bit ragged. Some stuff is perfect all the way along. Usually cheap stuff. :rolleyes:

one of our new Mat board suppliers the sheets are exactly as stated every time to the mm and seem to be perfectly in square, I do not know if they use some new technique or not.

Thanks for the plug Darren..... our laminator in Sweden can run at 300 boards per minute and still get them spot on size wise, and square, and virtually speck free. That's a tad quicker than any other mat board manufacturer ;)

www.arcticpaper.com/mountboard

Seems to me from what we've been lead to believe a board would be capable of swelling or shrinking that 1/8' factory to shop.

Seems to me from what we've been lead to believe a board would be capable of swelling or shrinking that 1/8' factory to shop.

good point! Keith what on earth do you put in your board to make it perfect every time, are you a Sorcerer?

I apologize to everyone for taking some time to reply. I am just back from the wonderful experience of having a knee replacement which turned out to be a bigger challenge than expected. Painful is the word that comes to mind when asked how it was.

Yes we had a few days when one of our guillotines was out of square and the results were that not only were the boards being trimmed our of square but they also ended up being short. Unfortunately thousands of boards go through a guillotine in a day and some Peterboro users have received these boards. Once this was discovered we immediately corrected the problem and recalibrated the cutting computers. If anyone has suffered enough financial loss to be of concern we are happy to work through your distributor to get some replacement boards sent to you.

On another note about 6 months ago we made a custom trimming system that trims all sides of the boards while they are moving. I was skeptical because I have learned that if you build proprietary equipment in house and it does not work you are out the money with no one to complain too. After a huge investment for far too many computers and servos I am no longer a skeptic. Our boards have been consistently coming off the line plus or minus a few thousandths of an inch which is fantastic.

We run two lines and hope to have the new trimming system installed on the second line by year end.

I find Artique boards are consist and slightly oversize. Have experienced Peterboro short board too. Most of the time it is ok.

Back