Blue Suede Choose

Framar

WOW Framer
Buffalo, New York, USA/Fort Erie, Ontario, Canada
I have been living off of the leftover stock of suede matboards for many years now. Used to sell a lot of it and then discovered that I could make more dough if I only sold what I have in stock.

But now I have come to the sad realization that all those suede corner samples have gone the way of the dodo and most no longer exist.

I do have old specifiers from Crescent and Bainbridge and Artique with eensy samples pasted on them.

And from the latest LJ catalog, I see most of what I see in the specifiers are also sadly gone.

So, if any of you have suede samples from all three manufacturers, can you dig them out and answer some questions?

I am looking for a nice deep patriotic blue for that job with all the medals and ribbons. I do have a small piece of something something dark blue suede, but sure as shooting having only one piece just big enough for the job means I will louse up the mat.

Is Bainbridge Midnight 4150 the same color as Crescent Select Torrent 5502? How close is Crescent Marine Blue 7113 to Bainbridge Lapis 4169? And where does Artique Cobalt 3705 fall?

Thanks!

I'd love to help, but pull and toss the samples the same week they are discontinued. I dont know what they looked like, to compare side-by-side. Glad to take a photo of any that you want to see that are current. We carry a lot of suede mats, too, but we mostly order them as needed.

All of the numbers I listed are apparently current (as of the LJ 2020 price list).

A photo would be great- a side by side comparison.

Thanks, Mike!

I the past I have used bits of synthetic velvet-type fabric to create backgrounds for coins/medals/wotnot.
I stuck it down to foamcore using strips of d/s carpet tape (the joins don't show). Cover the board and peel
one strip. Present the farbric and align, not touching the sticky bit. When positioned, smooth down the first
strip. Then flip the fabric back and peel/smooth the next strip - and so on. Doing it one strip at a time gives
you more control. I've done 6'x2' velcro panels like this and some are 25+ years old and the tape is still clinging
on fast. You could drymount it I suppose, but never tried it.
It's good for 3D things as you can cut holes in the board to create a little 'nest' for the object and then fold the
velvet in. Bevels on mats can be wrapped round. Better on foamcore as it is slightly squishy. 🙂

I think I am going to need to try to obtain some new fabric corner samples from LJ (or someone). I find myself using a lot of Artique since they sent me samples, and somewhere in my shop is a set of Bainbridge (but not fabrics).

Sure wish I still had even an email rep from LJ. *sigh* They raised their delivery order amount from $200 to $350 from one minute to the next and even the order-taker on the phone had no clue of this. Good thing my customers are so understanding these days. That SNAFU led me on a merry chase, let me tell you!

Mar, I would call them, LJ
Are you not on an existing route?
That delivery minimum seems very high.

I love Artique mats, all of them. It I am very fond of Peterboro as well, they have some excellent fabric mats

I just recently updated my bainbridge samples. I don't have artique, but I can show a side by side comparison of Midnight and Torrent: they are VERY close. Bainbridge's midnight is slightly more neutral, but you may only be able to tell side by side.
IMG_0202[1].JPG

Thank you, Mary Beth. You have answered my question!

And, Ylva, the minimum for delivery went from $200 to $350 from one minute to the next. They never even told their phone people.

Thank you, Mary Beth. You have answered my question!

And, Ylva, the minimum for delivery went from $200 to $350 from one minute to the next. They never even told their phone people.
That is very weird.
I believe that our LJ minimum went down this year.
I now have to check to find out.

I remember when LJ was an excellent source for frame moulding stock, mat board and whatever we might need.
A number of years ago I worked out of a warehouse shop for a high end framing business and the shop was about 2 blocks away from the Larson warehouse in the Phoenix area.
I could drive over and pick up what ever I needed any time.
They had a showroom that displayed all of their mouldings and you could even bring commercial clients in to look at the mouldings.
The Larson rep and I were good friends.

Then, they closed off their showroom and it became a frame shop where they would cut and join frames and prep mats to deliver to shops almost becoming a frame shop and screwing brick and mortar frame shops out of some profit.
Then they closed the warehouse in Phoenix even though we are in the 5th largest city in the country.

Now, even though we are a high volume shop in the 5th largest city in the country, we can only get one delivery a week, on Thursday, and when we order we have to order before Tuesday or we have to wait an additional week for delivery unless we pay extra for the shipping.:shrug:

Last edited:
That is very weird.
I believe that our LJ minimum went down this year.
I now have to check to find out.
For years the minimum was $100, then they said NO MINIMUM, then it went to $200, then $350.

I don't mind the minimums, it would just be nice if they told everyone - how difficult would that be?

Y'all, now I'm confused. I haven't heard anything about a minimum from LJ other than the yearly minimum--ie: if you spend $3000 in a year, they'll do regular weekly deliveries. Is it maybe different per region?

We use a lot of Hampton Suedes by Peterboro. As far as Larson goes, took down the samples and order nothing from them these days.

Because I really ought to throw stuff away more often, I find I have in my possession the last four years worth of LJ's paper price lists.

In 2017, there was a special paragraph that said that for any order of $150 minimum, delivery was free for "regular routes."

In 2018, the special paragraph stated that the minimum order for free delivery was $75 for "regular and overnight delivery."

In 2019, the printed info said that they deliver to many regions of the country, and in response to customer requests, they have simplified their fee schedule and now offer FREE delivery.

The 2020 price list (published in in the Before Times, in February), had the same info. But I do remember being told at the beginning of the year that the minimum was now $200.

Surely there must be someone on the Grumble who works at LJ?

This is indeed becoming most confusing.

I’m being killed by Larson’s backorders. Just a nightmare. Anyone else?

I’m being killed by Larson’s backorders. Just a nightmare. Anyone else?
Most of their local out of stock items they have in another branch, so a bunch of Fedex Shipping fees.

I always thought if an item was not in stock at your location they would FedEx it to you for free from whoever has it.

But then, what do I know?

I always thought if an item was not in stock at your location they would FedEx it to you for free from whoever has it.

But then, what do I know?
this is what i have experienced so far. Again, I'm new to the game, but like recently I had a flaw in a frame I had Larson join for me, and they were out of stock at the closest warehouse, so they are footing the fedex bill themselves.

I order length.
So if I have to get it from another location, I am charged the chop price (but shipped free by Fedex)

Lately, I haven't had too many out of stocks. But I check every order and item before the customer leaves. Just to prepare them either for a longer wait, or to pick something else

As Ylva said, length orders get a Fedex fee.
Chops are usually free shipping.
I often do not trust the factory to make good corners, especially on decorative frames, so I always order length, except on aluminum.

Back