zlib

UzZx32QU

Founder of the G
Forum Donor
Founding Member
I've installed zlib to aid in the bandwidth issue.

I need to configure the PHP with the zlib lib

when I add the --with-zlib=/usr/local/lib which is the dir its installed in. It kick it back that it can't find the zlib lib.

checking for ZLIB support... yes
checking if the location of ZLIB install directory is defined... no
configure: error: Cannot find libz
I did a make test on the zlib installation and it tested ok.

Anybody got a clue to what I'm missing?

framer

[ 02-25-2004, 02:31 PM: Message edited by: framer tg: ]

Is it the Apache one that works for html to save up to 80% of bandwidth? (mod_gzip)

If so, here are some ways to test it:
1. Turn "mod_gzip_keep_workfiles Yes" and then look at the "mod_gzip_temp_dir" and see if files are created. Be sure to change "mod_gzip_keep_workfiles" back to no once you have completed testing.

2. Use the web-based tester at http://leknor.com/code/gziped.php .

3. http://www.thegrumble.com/mod_gzip_status/ (might vary depending how ya set it up)

-----

If its the OTHER ZLIB, could it be a permissions/rights issue? (chmod)

Suggested php.ini settings:
output_buffering = On
output_handler =
zlib.output_compression = Off

Maybe it just needs a kick in the *** ? (reboot)

I'm just shooting in the dark here

Mike

[ 02-25-2004, 02:42 PM: Message edited by: Mike-L@GTP ]

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Framer, remind me again how I got to be a moderator on this forum.

It must have had something to do with my poor, orphaned Mat Maestro.

Good luck with your zlib.

Ron, most folks need that user approach, You're great at that. I'm in a strong steep learning curve so Thanks Mike, you gave me a new area to explore.

Mike, I'm trying to get the PHP accelerator in UBB to use zlib. I've been told it saves a lot of bandwidth. Your question opens up another area to check out.

Thanks
framer

Hi

Nice chatting with you on the phone again today. Did you figure out the mystery?

Mike

Framer, It's been many years since I was running make on the old AT&T Unix, :rolleyes: But, my recollection is that a test make checks for file existance and an actual make opens and uses them. That would lend a lot of credence to Mike's suggestion about file ownership and using the change mode (chmod) command. Also, watch carefully and make sure the entire file name including the extension that it is reporting the error on is the one you expect. It could be having trouble with a sub-library that zlib needs.

Cliff

Back