For Sale: WTB: Mat board corner samples and mat board available from closing shops

mattguy

Grumbler in Training
Business
Home Pro
Looking to purchase mat board corner samples and left over mat board (preferably full sheets - 32 x 40 or 40 x 60) from shops that have recently closed - preferably west coast or west of the Mississippi. I've purchased all of the Crescent Select 2" x 4" samples but they aren't very useful when looking to frame large scale photos. I haven't found any sources for Bainbridge, Artique, or other suppliers samples. I can pick up if located on or near the west coast - OR, WA, CA, NV, UT.

I don't have a shop so it's highly unlikely any supplier would be willing to send me corner samples so this seems to be my only option.

Thanks in advance.

Who are you ordering full sheets of matboard from?
If you have a supplier, they may be able to help.
I believe that Decor Moulding/United Manufacturing will sell supplies to anyone, with or without a shop. https://decormoulding.com/ :: Welcome to Decor Moulding & Supply
There may be a closer supplier who would do the same.
The only west coast supplier that springs to mind is Jayness Moulding: https://www.jayeness.com/ Jayeness Moulding Company – Wholesale picture frame moulding distributor.
I am not sure if they would sell to someone without a shop.
Hopefully you'll get some more suggestions after the weekend.

Best of luck,
Brian

Who are you ordering full sheets of matboard from?
If you have a supplier, they may be able to help.
I believe that Decor Moulding/United Manufacturing will sell supplies to anyone, with or without a shop. https://decormoulding.com/ :: Welcome to Decor Moulding & Supply
There may be a closer supplier who would do the same.
The only west coast supplier that springs to mind is Jayness Moulding: https://www.jayeness.com/ Jayeness Moulding Company – Wholesale picture frame moulding distributor.
I am not sure if they would sell to someone without a shop.
Hopefully you'll get some more suggestions after the weekend.

Best of luck,
Brian
Thanks for your reply. I did see Jayness listed on Crescent's list of distributors but they don't show a website for them so thanks for that as well as the link for Decor. Looking at the Decor website they require an account to see pricing but I don't see any way to register for an account with them - at least not on their website. Also, on their contact page they require a company name.

The Jayness website is useless as they provide NO links for ANY information and the only option they provide is their phone number and a "history/mission" statement.

I did find a downloadable color catalog of Bainbridge mats but looking at color photos of mats on a computer isn't at all conducive to identifying mats to purchase for matting photos, which is why I want to find mat board corner samples.

I live in a very rural area and Spokane is the only large city "nearby" at @ 70 miles.

One thing I've found frustrating on the Grumble re: the classifieds is that few sellers bother to update their listings when the items listed are sold. I've contacted every seller with the items I'm looking for and all but one has sold everything in their listing but the listings still show up as available. I've also contacted AIM about listings on their site for shops closing with corners and mats available but so far haven't heard back on any.

I was going to place an order with United for a variety of mats based on the tiny 2 x 4 samples I previously purchased, but since they are on the east coast shipping is pretty outrageous to the west coast - $73.00+ for $200.00 of mats, which worked out to an additional $3.45+/mat.

I will keep hunting . . .

FWIW, Decor and United are now the same company. One bought the other a while ago but they are still keeping separate online identities. I don't believe that United requires a company name.

One other source to consider is Dick Blick; https://www.dickblick.com/categories/framing/boards/matboard/ Restricted Access 2023
Their prices are reasonable and they will sell to anyone. They have saved my bacon a couple of times when my normal supplier was OOS.

I think you are on the right track, asking frame shops if they have corner sample, but beware that a lot, and I mean a significant number of mats are no longer available. Starting with current info from Crescent Brands about their selections, Crescent and Bainbridge, you may be able to piece together a decent set of samples. Getting new samples is difficult even for long time buyers, and the current specifiers aren't much better than the online ones for color accuracy.
During the nascent days of my business, the nearest supplier was about 90 miles away, and there was a regular run to get mat, mount, and framing supplies. The color options with matting was also very limited, but we did have to make our own corner samples. Corner sets became available not long after.
If you set yourself up as a business, you will have better entrée to buying in the eyes of the suppliers. Some still won't deal with home-based, but many will if you have the paperwork.
Good luck.

Decor's shipping is one of their big downsides.
I would expect that shipping cost at about 200 miles away.
I usually pay more for shipping, than whatever item I am ordering.
I would keep in mind that matboard is large and heavy when purchasing multiple sheets.

Dick Blick can be a good source, but they are showing discontinued Crescent Rag Mats.
This will likely mean that you can order a board now, but it won't be available in a few months.

Jayness used to have a phenomenal website with inventories listed on everything.
Then one day it just listed their contact information.
The company is still very good.

Dick Blick can be a good source, but they are showing discontinued Crescent Rag Mats.
This will likely mean that you can order a board now, but it won't be available in a few months.

Actually DB shows which mats are OOS. And for the discontinued ones, they show limited availability. The checkbutton to the left of the quantity for each item will show the status if you hover over it. The price is a couple of smakeroos more than what I pay at LJ for Crescent Select but shipping is cheap. I added 20 mats to the cart and the shipping came up as free over $59. Can't beat that. They saved my bacon a couple of times after a World Series and/or SuperBowl when the winning teams colors were OOS elsewhere. I remember that shipping was fast also.

As far as shipping goes, the only way to justify it, other than having no other option, is to buy in large enough quantities to get the maximum discount on the product and the better cost/lb. for shipping on palletized goods.
I buy some mat that has to be shipped as there are no regional suppliers that deliver this particular brand to me. Because of the volume discounts, the distributor's freight allowance, and the lower rate for palletized shipping, the cost per sheet is lower than anything I could get with "free delivery" from any of the distributors I buy from for equivalent product.

Actually DB shows which mats are OOS. And for the discontinued ones, they show limited availability. The checkbutton to the left of the quantity for each item will show the status if you hover over it. The price is a couple of smakeroos more than what I pay at LJ for Crescent Select but shipping is cheap. I added 20 mats to the cart and the shipping came up as free over $59. Can't beat that. They saved my bacon a couple of times after a World Series and/or SuperBowl when the winning teams colors were OOS elsewhere. I remember that shipping was fast also.
Good to know.

Decor's shipping is one of their big downsides.
I would expect that shipping cost at about 200 miles away.
I usually pay more for shipping, than whatever item I am ordering.
I would keep in mind that matboard is large and heavy when purchasing multiple sheets.

Jayness used to have a phenomenal website with inventories listed on everything.
Then one day it just listed their contact information.
The company is still very good.
At this point I'm hesitant to order any mat board since I don't have corner samples to evaluate which ones will go best with the landscape photos I have.

Not sure if I'm looking in the wrong place but it seemed that Dickblick had a very limited number of colors available.

I went to Frame Destination and was looking to order 20 different colors from the samples I have and I recall they didn't have 12 of the 20. I emailed them with a list of the "missing" colors and they emailed back that they carried some of the missing colors but their system didn't show them and they would have their IT department correct their site so it included the 5 missing colors they carried but didn't show up on their site. They said they didn't sell the other 7 colors. Their shipping was free but they did charge a $15.00 oversize fee - presumably for packaging. Their dropdown selection option didn't make sense to me as they listed the mat boards essentially grouped by color, not in order by the Crescent numbers so you had to scroll back and forth through the entire list to find the color you wanted. This is a screen shot of their dropdown -

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-04-01 at 10.46.07 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-04-01 at 10.46.07 AM.png
    74.4 KB · Views: 6
At this point I'm hesitant to order any mat board since I don't have corner samples to evaluate which ones will go best with the landscape photos I have.

Not sure if I'm looking in the wrong place but it seemed that Dickblick had a very limited number of colors available.

I went to Frame Destination and was looking to order 20 different colors from the samples I have and I recall they didn't have 12 of the 20. I emailed them with a list of the "missing" colors and they emailed back that they carried some of the missing colors but their system didn't show them and they would have their IT department correct their site so it included the 5 missing colors they carried but didn't show up on their site. They said they didn't sell the other 7 colors. Their shipping was free but they did charge a $15.00 oversize fee - presumably for packaging. Their dropdown selection option didn't make sense to me as they listed the mat boards essentially grouped by color, not in order by the Crescent numbers so you had to scroll back and forth through the entire list to find the color you wanted. This is a screen shot of their dropdown -
That (lack of) organization is odd from Frame Destination. I've never used them before.
If you list what colors they don't have, we can confirm for you if they are still current styles.

Here's the email conversation with Frame Destination -

Good Morning Andrew,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Seven of the colors you mention are not mat board colors we carry, however 5 of them we do and they are not on the full board listing. I have brought this to the attention of IT department and I am sure they will work on adding them to the list.

The 5 colors we do carry are the 9625 - Blue Moon, 9593 - Gravel Road, 9592 - Blizzard, 9889 - Deep Blue, and 9827 - Flag Blue. I can email you back when these are available to add if you would like me to.

Thank you,
Betty

Betty
Customer Support Ninja

unnamed.png

Frame Destination
2350 Crist Rd, Suite 1000
Garland, TX 75040
(972) 479-1188

Extremely disappointed in your web site. Looking for Crescent Select full sheets of matboard and your drop down selection is terrible! One has to scroll through almost all of the list to find what they are looking for. Why aren’t the colors listed in ascending order by number? Also, many of the colors are not listed as available.

For example, I searched for Crescent 9880 – Royal Blue but it’s nowhere to be found. Similarly I looked for 9544 – Chicago Blue and again it’s nowhere to be found. Of the colors I was considering purchasing 12 were not available –

Chicago Blue – 9544
Blue Wave – 9551
Blizzard – 9592
Gravel Road – 9593
Blue Chip – 9607
Blue Moon – 9625
Ink Spot – 9627
Coconut Milk – 9805
Flag Blue – 9827
Royal Blue – 9880
Jeans – 9885
Deep Blue – 9889

I found a supplier in OR where I purchased the color samples but their prices are high - $18.89 each for any/all 30 x 40 Crescent Select mat board single sheets. (They do carry all of the Crescent Select colors.) For 22 different 30 x 40 sheets the price is $415.58 plus an oversize fee of $42.53 for a total of $458.11 - shipping is free. That comes out to just under $21.00 per sheet. From a financial standpoint it would be foolish to order full size sheets at those prices based on a guesstimate of which colors would go with the 16 x 24 photos I've printed (I have 2 Canon imagePROGRAF printers, an iPF 6300 and a Pro 1000 - printer ink is a 'hole 'nuther story).

I have bunches and bunches of frame corners and mat board corners, I have over a hundred full size mats, equipment, etc. I put them on Craigslist, but apparently nobody on the Olympic Peninsula is interested. I listed everything for $10,000, including my equipment, display stuff etc. I'm willing to give you a great price on the corners only, because otherwise I will probably just throw them away. Not a lot of demand for such things. If you look on Olympic Peninsula's Craigslist you will see a description and photos of my equipment and display boards as well. I don't know if these will show up in the pdf I uploaded, but let me know and I'll try to upload the original photos if necessary.

Attachments

• Pictures of frameroom.pages.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 19
I have bunches and bunches of frame corners and mat board corners, I have over a hundred full size mats, equipment, etc. I put them on Craigslist, but apparently nobody on the Olympic Peninsula is interested. I listed everything for $10,000, including my equipment, display stuff etc. I'm willing to give you a great price on the corners only, because otherwise I will probably just throw them away. Not a lot of demand for such things. If you look on Olympic Peninsula's Craigslist you will see a description and photos of my equipment and display boards as well. I don't know if these will show up in the pdf I uploaded, but let me know and I'll try to upload the original photos if necessary.
The PDF is displaying 13 photos of what you are offering.

Hi Matt,
Perhaps check out this recent listing:

Back