• Welcome to the largest and friendlest resource for picture framers! Please LOG IN or REGISTER a free account.
    Once logged in, you will be able to SEARCH our archives.
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. Trouble? Click the CONTACT US link.

wrinkled canvas

Ad Banner for SmallCorp
L

lucyb

Need suggestions for an old, brittle canvas 69 x 32. It has some "set" wrinkles from being rolled up, (sort of) for a long time, and only 1" extra to stretch around strips. Help.

Prospero

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
If it's that brittle it might benefit from lining with a new canvas. A good restorer will be able do this as well as giving an expert assessment of the work.

With stuff like this the Golden Rule is: "If in doubt, do nowt"

L

lucyb

I don't think the canvas itself is brittle, but the paint is. It's thick, and will crack.

Register for the picture framer's grumble

Shayla

WOW Framer
Forum Donor
One of the guys who teaches framing workshops has suggested that people consider using Dual Lock (like velcro, but better) to float old canvases in frames. He said that back East, there's a trend toward removing canvases from their stretcher frames, flattening the whole canvas out, and framing them to show the cloth borders, staple holes and all, floated in larger frames. I'm not suggesting this exact treatment, but if you can't stretch it, perhaps some kind of float would work, whether with this one or heavy fabric hinges?

Conservator
Business
Formerly ICA-Art Conservation
It's not just the canvas that's wrinkled, that thick paint is, too. I suspect this is something you should decline to get involved in.

We deal with this kind of thing all the time, but we're a conservation lab.

Ad Banner for SmallCorp

GUMBY GCF

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
Rest In Peace
Good advice from 05 & Jim Miller

lucy is this by any chance Caribbean canvas? If it is make sure it is square first. Most of them are not.
The brittle paint is what it is.
I could tell you what you could do that may help but then again it depends on how brittle the paint is and how thick.
Then I will tell that you need to practice this on something simular and not a customers 32x69 canvas . It all has to do with time, temperature, experience, practice and patience (TTEPP) which all spell $$$$.

L

lucyb

One of the guys who teaches framing workshops has suggested that people consider using Dual Lock (like velcro, but better) to float old canvases in frames. He said that back East, there's a trend toward removing canvases from their stretcher frames, flattening the whole canvas out, and framing them to show the cloth borders, staple holes and all, floated in larger frames. I'm not suggesting this exact treatment, but if you can't stretch it, perhaps some kind of float would work, whether with this one or heavy fabric hinges?
This may be the option we go for. Thank you.

L

lucyb

Good advice from 05 & Jim Miller

lucy is this by any chance Caribbean canvas? If it is make sure it is square first. Most of them are not.
The brittle paint is what it is.
I could tell you what you could do that may help but then again it depends on how brittle the paint is and how thick.
Then I will tell that you need to practice this on something simular and not a customers 32x69 canvas . It all has to do with time, temperature, experience, practice and patience (TTEPP) which all spell $$$$.
Thank you for your advice. This is not my area at all. It actually is a Caribbean canvas which amazingly is square. I think the float suggestion offers a possible solution.

L

lucyb

It's not just the canvas that's wrinkled, that thick paint is, too. I suspect this is something you should decline to get involved in.

We deal with this kind of thing all the time, but we're a conservation lab.
Thank you for your response. We don't have anyone in this area who does what you do. I looked at your web site and joined your e-mail newsletter and fb page. I'm looking forward to keeping up with what you do.

LifeSaver Cloud from LifeSaver Software, Inc.

Shayla

WOW Framer
Forum Donor
Register for the picture framer's grumble
If you float it, you'll need to be sure to use enough Dual Lock to properly support the weight of the canvas.

L

lucyb

What about using the holes where the canvas was nailed to the stretcher bar, and some type of upholstery tacks?

CB Art & Framing

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
How about stapling flat to a sealed/buffered board like plywood, and then using a flat-base fabric liner (like you would a matboard) to cover edges along with an appropriate frame.

Airpag Corner, packing solution for frame shipping