• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.

Wrapping bevel on silk mat...

Beauty, Brawn, and Brains: Wizard Z1 CMC

Echobelly

Grumbler
I've wrapped many bevels by cutting a mat and spray mounting fabric onto it. Easy peasy. I have a customer who has chosen a silk mat and we'd like to wrap the bevel. It's a very thin silk. Has anyone done this on a mat that already has the fabric on it? I'm thinking if I do a few tests (we use Mat Wizard to cut mats) to get the right depth of blade so it only cuts the backing and not through the silk I may be able to peel away the board in the center. Is this possible? Any tricks, suggestions? Don't want to waste time and discover it's not really feasible.

wpfay

Comfort Badger
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Sunshine Frames
That is exactly why I shy away from pre-covered fabric mats. I much prefer to hand cover the mat myself which allows for nicely wrapped bevels.

What you are attempting will require controlling the depth of cut by 2-3 thousandths of an inch and peeling off the matting from the reverse without tearing the fabric. Can it be done? I suppose so, but how many tries are you willing to do? Get some silk from Franks or Raphael's and get some fabric glue. You'll never look back.

Prospero

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
I've done it on small mats by using drymount film. I used the dropout on top to push the fabric onto the bevel
and then letting it cool and cutting/folding the middle so it wraps underneath and then putting it back in the
press to complete the job. This was std matboard. I don't know if it will stretch around deep bevels. It might.🤔

Terry Hart cpf

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
I wrap all my precovered fabric mats as you're suggesting, (yes, I also use Franks fabrics and fabric glue) but always with a reverse bevel. You're going to have a hard time getting the board out with the bevel holding it in. Not really possible to do well imo. As far as setting the depth it's probably best to experiment on a scrap first.
*Unless you're talking those Tatami silks by Bainbridge. Those won't wrap at all.

RoboFramer

PFG, Picture Framing God
United Kingdom, West Sussex Coast. (Bottom centre)
I've wrapped many bevels by cutting a mat and spray mounting fabric onto it. Easy peasy. I have a customer who has chosen a silk mat and we'd like to wrap the bevel. It's a very thin silk. Has anyone done this on a mat that already has the fabric on it? I'm thinking if I do a few tests (we use Mat Wizard to cut mats) to get the right depth of blade so it only cuts the backing and not through the silk I may be able to peel away the board in the center. Is this possible? Any tricks, suggestions? Don't want to waste time and discover it's not really feasible.
I've done this pretty much as you describe but not with fabric mats - cut your apeture as described but firstly cut a smaller one, say an inch smaller, as normal, this will leave you a band of surface paper (once you've peeled the rest away) which is mitred and wrapped

Beauty, Brawn, and Brains: Wizard Z1 CMC

Echobelly

Grumbler
I've done this pretty much as you describe but not with fabric mats - cut your apeture as described but firstly cut a smaller one, say an inch smaller, as normal, this will leave you a band of surface paper (once you've peeled the rest away) which is mitred and wrapped
Great idea, I tried a few cutting an opening which made it easier to get the excess cardboard from under the bevel. Still not worth the trouble, the cardboard doesn't peel off cleanly or easily and the results were less than pristine.

wpfay

Comfort Badger
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Sunshine Frames
What John said, but cut the miters while the mat is still in tact which will allow you to fold it back and peel it cleanly from the surface paper/fabric.

David Hewitt

MGF, Master Grumble Framer
Forum Donor
This was done by cutting plain mats first. (six total )
Mats and cutouts were kept in order and glued. Fusion 4000 was the adhesive used for the fabric, the fabric was suede.
Mats, 4000, cutouts, 200 degrees for 15 minutes, let cool under weight.
Wrap inner bevel, gluing with pre-applied 4000. ( This was done 30 years ago and holding up well. )

Attachments

• 1615991443295.png
    1615991443295.png
    101.3 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Echobelly

Grumbler
This was done by cutting plain mats first. (six total )
Mats and cutouts were kept in order and glued. Fusion 4000 was the adhesive used for the fabric, the fabric was suede.
Mats, 4000, cutouts, 200 degrees for 15 minutes, let cool under weight.
Wrap inner bevel, gluing with pre-applied 4000. ( This was done 30 years ago and holding up well. )
Amazing!

FrameReady Special Offer - Call 888-281-2202