Wizard Questions....

LeighAnn

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level 2
We are planning on getting a Wizard next month. I have done the demos from various companies and I think Wizard is the way to go for us. I am going to contact them tomorrow with some additional questions, but thought I'd get some feedback here also.

According to previous posts, some framers have had problems with the wizard on a wall mount. They mentioned something about handling the fall out differently. What (in your experienced opinion) would be better Wall mount our Stand?

Also, we were reading the differences between the 8000 model and the 8500 model. The biggest difference is speed. 7.5 inches per second vs 15 inches per second. Will this speed difference really be necessary? My husband seems to think so, I just want some other views.

We live only about four hours from Seattle so we could go up and pick up the machine and do training in their facility free. Has anyone else done this and what was your experience?

One last question... I read in the specs that we received in the mail that there is a half version model. It cuts a maximum of 32" x 40" mat board. I went to the web site and they don't mention it at all there. Is there such an animal?

Again, I'm contacting Wizard again tomorrow, but wanted some feedback from you guys.

Thanks a bunch!

My Wiz is on a "table" that I build that holds mat and glass underneeath. On recommendations from a number of people, I made the wiz table sit as flat as possible. Easier to set and let it do it's thing. I don't worry about standing there with tape as it does multi-openings and such.

I have an 8000. plenty fast enough for me! can't imagine that more speed would get you much unless you are a very high production shop!

There is a 32 x 40 version, but why restrict your ability to cut unless you are in dire need of the space? If memory serves, the cost difference is not significant.

From what I've seen at the trade shows, the 8000 is every bit as good as the 8500 unless, as Cliff said, you're a production shop.

If you haven't tried them out at a show, since you're fairly close, I would take a road trip to Wizard and try them both.

Once you have one, you'll wonder how you ever did without.

I went with thw WIzard 8000 this summer when I opened my shop. MY previous experience with the company I last worked for they had an outdated 5000, which I was convinced ws a lemon anyway. So as a result I did a lot of research and had my reservations until I made a decision. All I can tell you is that I am untterly in love with the 8000, and have found it to be very easy to work with and trouble free. On top of that I received great training and anyone I have worked with at Wizard has been extremely accomodating.
I chose a wall mount because of space issues and have had no problems. Having cut mats on a traditional table top cutter for 15 years, I can't imagine going back. Its the best part time employee I have ever had, it never calls in sick, and is never late.

Steph

Thanks for the posts.

So, let me get this straight, if I'm doing a multi opening mat with a wall mounted wizard I'll need to stand there and deal with the fall outs? I guess if I was doing a double mat I would need to take care of the fall outs anyway, I just don't want to have to stand there and babysit it. Would a table mount be better? I could re-arrange the work area a little to get more space.

Thanks again...

The Wizard here is on a table at an angle, same as Cliff - I store boards and glass underneath.

The first shop I worked for that had a Wizard had a similar set-up but put the machine at a shallower angle (more like 30º whereas mine is closer to 45º) and we did have to hover when cutting multiple opening mats tp keep fallouts from sliding down behind the board or anywhere in the blade's path.

LeighAnn, "Babysitting" the Wizard is no big deal. By the time you turned around to do something else, the mat would be finished. I never timed it but I would guess a five-six opening mat would be cut in less than 60 seconds. Not worth stopping and starting something else.

We have only used tape if the board goes in warped and allows the fallout to fall behind the board...then there's the dickens to pay if you weren't paying attention.

I'm still using the original Wizard I received in 1996 and I'm still loving it and I'm still saving 2 payroll positions with it. I did upgrade the CPU and software about a year ago.

It saves so much time cutting a multiple hole mat that I can't figure there is much more to gain with a faster cutting speed, percentagewise. I don't usually do a large quantity of the same size mat though, and that's where I think a faster machine would shine.

Ours is upright, bolted to the wall and sitting on a workbench at about a 30 degree angle. Gotta watch the dropouts, but to this day I'm still too giddy at watching it knockout a 10 hole double mat with rectangles and ovals and arches and rounded corners and whatnot with a pefect inner mat lineup at 1/8 or 3/16 or 1/4 to even care about that - I just saved a freakin hour!

[ 12-13-2005, 03:49 PM: Message edited by: johnny ]

I have the 5000 and it works great. I have at 90 degree angle and I use tape when needed.

The only thing I hate about t is changing the blade! The 8000 blade change is a snap, this one is a pain.

I might go for the 8000 after I finish the Xmas stuff.

Mine's mounted on the wall and just finished a 35 opening mat 40 x 60. Just spray your undermat with Spraymount or a similar lightly aggressive adhesive, lay the mat to be cut on this and go to it. We occassionally have to tape the windows as wiz cuts them, but only if the matbeing cut has a little "curve" in it from storage or the like.

You'll love Wiz Ours is 8 1/2 yrs old, still chugs along on Windows 95 program and don't know how anyone lives without automation.

Mike, out of curiousity how long did the CMC take to actually cut that 35 opening mat? My husband is leaning toward the 8500 because of the speed. I don't think it will be that great of a difference. I'll have him read this post when he gets home tonight. Thanks again for all your help on this.

Mike, and others..

there is a 3M product called Remount, like the adhesive used in post it pads. Spray your backing board with that when doing multiple openings and you don't have to tape fallouts.

Originally posted by Paul N:
I have the 5000 and it works great. I have at 90 degree angle and I use tape when needed.

I might go for the 8000 after I finish the Xmas stuff.
Paul, just out of curiosity, what would a 5000 go for? Would I still have to sell one of my kids to afford it?
;)

Back