Windows Explorer problem?

Macfadden

CGF, Certified Grumble Framer
Have any of you run into or know about a problem some are calling super snooper that invades your system thru Explorer and is impervious to anti-virus programs? I heard about it on NPR and somewhere else recently - the solution was to use Netscape or another browser. I downloaded Netscape - but really don't like using it - it seems clumsier somehow. I was just wondering if I'm over reacting.

Pam

Pam, keep up with the Windows security updates and maybe install and use Ad-Aware and/or Spybot Search and Destroy and you should be just fine. I use both.

Both of those are free downloads. Let me know if you need links.

Super Snooper is a spyware or data mining program so, yes, it won't be picked up by anti-virus software. The intention is not to disrupt your computer but to glean information about you.

That's why everyone needs both anti-virus and spybot software for protection.

The latest CERT Advisory indicated a vulnerability in IE. It effects Windows systems, but not the MacOS versions of Explorer.

I'm not sure that Microsoft has had enough time to fix it yet, but check with the Evil Empire to see if they have a patch.

BTW Bill you gotta remember Microsoft doesn't fix ANYTHING, exept prices.

Ok you all know how computer illiterate i am. But recently we ( May daughter and i ) had a real scare. Since her pregnacy we have traded Home computers(Her desk top ,which is upstairs in the house for my Dell Laptop so she wouldn't have to climb stairs) well noew that Olivia is her she still finds it more convenient to use the lap top.
Point being she recent had a complete shut down ,which Dell support said might mean that the mother board was gone or the hard drive. after many efforts with our IT degered son we thought we had reibstalled the system. Only to find that she still had a VIRUS.
She then contacted a friend at Disney ( her future employer)who is an It there. after 2 hours of searching he found % VIRUS types. actually 3 viruses and 2 Syware bugs from way back in 2001.

I now understand that Norton and symantec doesn't catch Spyware. But my question is How does Spyware inter the system and what effect does it have on your computer? Also what are these FREE sights that i am reading about? She says she has protcted the home computers but now Iam worried about the shops two PCS.
BUDDY

Back