Windows 11

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Get The Picture
Well, I put Windows 11 on the primary home PC today.

It seems faster, has a new bar at the bottom, and settings are much more organized. I haven't explored much yet, but hear it can even run smartphone apps (Android).

THIS screen, showing the new bottom section.

1633989262324.png

1633989444766.png

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Get The Picture
No start button? I had to install some kind of gizmo to get a start button my my Win10 machine.
It's the leftmost button

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Get The Picture
Nine days in and I'm still loving Windows 11 :)

This computer runs 24/7, has 3 server like programs running all the time, and also does the automated backups twice daily for this forum and for the PPFA forum.

It hasnt missed a beat, or required any kind of reboots (other than after a major update)

alacrity8

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
Forum Donor
I got a notification on my 2 year old HP laptop to check for Windows 11 compatability.
I ran the check and find that some piece of hardware on my machine is not supported.
I've never had an issue with a new version of Windows previously.

Keencut Ultimat Futura Precision Mat Cutter

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Get The Picture
Yea this particular update is VERY picky about it being fairly new. Some machines as young as 6 months old do not qualify, but some that are 3 years old do qualify if they were high end machines. I have a lot of computers, and only 2 of mine qualify.

In some cases, you can fix it with a firmware update from the vendor. But for most, it just requires a faster/newer CPU from what came with the machine.

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Get The Picture
It has better animations, a new taskbar at the bottom with everything centered, better performance. It doesn't make much of a difference in my life, but is stable.

WizSteve

MGF, Master Grumble Framer
I just installed 11 on a new pc here, and only two things really bother me - the new right-click context menu in Explorer that hides the original (with all the other stuff in it that I need) and the fact that the shell Explorer process becomes unresponsive to just the mouse *every night* and I have to sign out to fix it.

Oh, and the first thing I did was left-justify the start menu button :)

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Get The Picture
Could it be some kind of power saving or hibernation thing? This one has to run 24/7, because it does regular FTP runs and has a couple other servers on it for chat networks, so it never goes to sleep. It has been 100% trouble free, so far. (but then again, so was Windows 10)

Keencut Ultimat Futura Precision Mat Cutter
Register for the picture framer's grumble

WizSteve

Nah, don't think do. Goggling the problem seems to point to an issue they were having two months ago with some Teams ad service (Iris) that was returning bad data and hanging the operating system (ouch!). I followed the instructions and hacked the registry to disable the service but no avail,... still, I suspect it's either Teams or Visual Studio (which is also doing a few weird things but still seems to work).

Jim Miller

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
My 2019 Dell XPS15-9570 laptop is Windows 11 compatible, so I'll upgrade it, but should I wait a while to see if there are any early bug-fixes or improvements to the upgrading process?

My 2012 Lenovo Y480 laptop has an i7-3610QM, 2.3 GHz processor, 8 GB RAM, and 500 GB SSHD. It starts and runs as fast as the newer Dell and it has lots of ports, including (3) USB ports and a CD/DVD drive, so I'll continue to use it until something goes wrong.

Likewise, the 2015 desktop PC upstairs is running a later version of Windows 10, but is incompatible with Windows 11. My neighborhood computer Guru thinks it might be worth replacing the CPU, since it has already had lots of upgrades. It, too, works just fine and is equipped similar to the Lenovo laptop, so It will stay put, too.

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Get The Picture
Register for the picture framer's grumble
It doesn't hurt to wait a while, but it has performed well for me. Steve's issue was the first one I have seen, personally, beyond a reported issue with some BROTHER brand printers/driver. (which may have been fixed by now)

If it was me, I'd wait until DELL contacts you about upgrading your XPS15. While you could technically force it to install before that, they will test it out thoroughly and make sure the drivers they provide are all up for the task. They expect to be doing so later this year, and early into 2022

WizSteve

I think I might have figured out my issue with the taskbar freezing every evening, but was wondering - are you running multiple displays Mike?

I found an obscure reference that said to make sure the taskbar only shows on the main display. But of course when I remoted in from the laptop that's only one display so Windows thought I only had one display on my work box and disabled the setting so I couldn't try it yet lol. And then when I got in this morning the taskbar was still working, but it might have been the remote session that stopped it from becoming unresponsive again. Sheesh. :shrug:

The worst part is that sometimes I can get it back by killing the Explorer process and relaunching it. If that doesn't work, then I can usually sign out and then sign back in. Twice now though all I get is a black screen instead of the lock screen and I have to hard reboot to get Windows back. Ugh.

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Get The Picture
On this particular machine I only have one screen and I mostly use the machine from remote. Even if I'm home, I often use it from another machine in the other room. It sounds like you are close to a solution!

FrameReady Special Offer - Call 888-281-2202

Larry Peterson

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Resource Provider

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Get The Picture
Probably only for internal Microsoft things, like they did in the past for the previous Windows Updates system. Theyre not going to block other browsers for general web use, like Apple IOS does with Safari.

David Waldmann

Herder of cats
Forum Donor
Featured Vendor Forum Sponsor
Business
Vermont Hardwoods
Theyre not going to block other browsers for general web use, like Apple IOS does with Safari.
What? I use Chrome on my iPhone. I wouldn't have an iPhone if they didn't allow it. I think...

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Get The Picture
Well it does look like Chrome, but Apple put training wheels and restrictions on it by requiring it use Apple Webkit. This causes it to be slower and not as maintained as the regular Chrome.

My understanding is that it's basically still the Safari browser engine under the hood, with a Chrome front end interface. (but an older version of Safari, not the current one)

David Waldmann

Herder of cats
Forum Donor
Featured Vendor Forum Sponsor
Business
Vermont Hardwoods
Well it does look like Chrome, but Apple put training wheels and restrictions on it by requiring it use Apple Webkit. This causes it to be slower and not as maintained as the regular Chrome.

My understanding is that it's basically still the Safari browser engine under the hood, with a Chrome front end interface. (but an older version of Safari, not the current one)
My biggest reason for using Chrome on iPhone is syncing of data (history, bookmarks - I don't save passwords on Chrome).

I don't use my phone much for browsing (probably less than 0.1% overall) but when I do, I drink Dos Equis. Or something like that.

SmallCorp Welded Aluminum Frames, Acrylic Cases, Frames

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Get The Picture
Well you do get those benefits, which is very useful! :)

Rick Granick

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Forum Donor

I don’t like the current Safari on the Mac OS. The interface is clunky and non-intuitive. I much prefer Firefox.