Windex?

Phoneguy

MGF, Master Grumble Framer
Okay, another newbie question:

Is it okay to use windex for cleaning glass (I know it isn't okay for plexi)? I did a search on the grumble and didn't see anything under cleaning glass. I notice that the wholesalers that I deal with sell Sprayaway....Why? Does it leave more streaks? Is there really that much of a difference? I use 2-3 paper towels for each hand, polish, then use the same to left and flip the glass and try not to touch the glass without using the paper towel after it is cleaned. Maybe on my next order this week I should pick up some Sprayaway?

Thanks in advance
James

Don't use anything that has ammonia in it and I believe Windex does.

Sprayaway is great have used it for 33 years.

James -

I am pretty new to this also, but I have found Windex is NOT the thing to use. It contains ammonia whereas the Sprayaway does not. My two favorites for cleaning glass are Sprayaway and TruVue's Glass Cleaner. These seem to work great for me and do NOT leave streaks. Good Luck!

James, it sounds like you're using powder-packed glass. It's covered with a white dust to protect it from scratches and it can take longer to clean than the rest of the framing operations combined.

If this is the case, check with your vendor to see if you can get paper-packed glass. It will be pre-washed and, if you handle it with gloves, will require very little cleaning. (Some would say NO cleaning is required but, of course, you and I would never cut corners like that. Wink wink.)

and Sprayways Mother approved...

No joke, she always request a few cans at Christmas.

framer

I visited a shop that uses powder packed glass and they have a very high-tech washing system out back. It is a rack build out of 2X4's that hold the glass while the glass is rinsed with a variable pressure misting device (garden hose). The glass was amazingly clean afterwards.

Please don't feel like a newbie. It's good you ask questions, rather than harm the artwork. If you don't want to use the regular glass cleaners from the framing distibutors because of cost a good one out there is Glass Plus. It contains no ammonia or phosphates which can outgas. Sprayway is however a great choice.
Lori

Actually the glass comes pretty clean, except for a few finger prints...might even be mine in transport....I get it cut at the wholesaler..Economy of scale at this time. I always wipe it down to get rid of any film, finger prints (cat hair,,,grr) and any other incidentals. I would rather be sure than close it up and find something on the inside!
James

You know, that the "commercial line" Windex has no ammonia. It has vinegar insted. The stuff is green, not blue. I've been using it since my wife broke off the tip of the sprayaway can! It works pretty good. Got it at Home Depot.

Why don't more people use rubbing alcohol? The kind you get at the local pharmacy. It is ok to use on glass and plexi, and even museum glass. You can get it in decent quantities and it is good stuff. Just wondering why more people don't use it? I thought it was the norm...or maybe I was making an incorrect assumption and when you assume you make an @$$ out of u and me.
Patrick Leeland

Tru-Vue glass cleaner (purple) works great and contains no ammonia. Did I mention it's purple? Available from United.
:cool: Rick

Rubbing alcohol and water is a good solution, although a little expensive. It's less toxic to the framer than denatured alcohol.

There are some homemade solutions. I think Paul Frederick had a formula... a mixture of water, rottenstone, Ivory liquid and something else...

Here is the formula for glass cleaner which I have used for many years. It is very inexpensive. It came from a book called "Freshman Framer" and is listed as Paul Frederick's Formula.
1 gallon water
1 pint isopropanol or methanol alcohol
1 - 2 tablespoons of whiting or rottenstone
1 tablespoon Lux of Ivory detergent.
Combine all ingredients thoroughly. Apply by spraying, and wipe off with a clean, soft cloth. The alcohol and water will remove grease; the whiting and rottnestone will polish the surface. The liquid detergent acts as an anti-static.

Bernie

Over the decades I have mixed many gallons of that stuff. It cleans nice.

Put that in a spray bottle and you get one clogged sprayer. Good for almost a whole morning of goofing off on the clock.

If you're gonna stick the whiting or rottenstone in there, make sure you use a squirt bottle.

Also, the polish comes from using newspaper. The old style lamp black ink combined with the ammonia and rottenstone to "glaze" the glass surface.

And, I know you all will take a collective gasp at this, but: I DON'T KNOW if all the new Soy based ink does the same. Don't care neither.

I use the purple juice and a spray bottle.

Old dog, new tricks..... :D

I use alcohol too...just the way I was taught to by my sister...its great except when you might have a few paper cuts.....but what the heck...takes care of them also...have also found that diapers are really great too...and recently bought some painters cloths that work well...no lint

I get cloth diapers by the dozen at Wal-Mart(gasp!) But, it's the only place I could find them. Also, when you wash them, do not use fabric softner....I am a devoted user of Sprayaway! Too many paper cuts to use alcohol!

I use only distilled water and have had good luck - no streaking. Apply with wet paper towel, then dry w/ cloth diaper. Final wipe down w/ an anti-static cloth.

We're very fond of the microfiber cloths from Costco, Sam's or 3M. Wring one out in water, polish with another that's dry. Stuff sparkles. (Try it on crystal just once and you're hooked.)

Me, too MerpsMom! The 3M cloths are good for static and they practically attract dust, lint, etc. Wash & reuse!
I use the purple stuff too!

whiting = Calcium Carbonate = Chalk
Ceramic supply houses
Local Potter
School blackboards
A better supplied Paint store

Mitch

Back