• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.
Vermont Hardwoods solid wood picture frame molding

Question Why so many framer's facebook groups?

Larry Peterson

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Resource Provider
In the beginning was theGrumble.

Then came a Facebook group called Underpinner, and recently there came Framers Only and Framers Point.

Why so many? I belonged to Underpinner and somehow automatically became members of the other two.

Anyone know why we know have so many groups to monitor. I don't mind but I'm bored today and curious.

FramerInTraining

MGF, Master Grumble Framer
Forum Donor
Hi Larry, I got your request to join I think today on Framers Only group. Maybe someone you are friends with added you there. It's possible they thought you may benefit from joining. I moderate on the Underpinner and Framers Only groups, so I can help if that is not what you wanted.

On the Framers Only group, we work on bringing LIVE shows once or twice a week where we address some important issues in relation to picture framing and art gallery businesses. All viewers will have a chance to ask the panel questions in real time or make comments about the issues being discussed. The panel tries to answer these questions live. It is kind of a fun way for most of us who work alone.

See this video of a live session we did post WCAF show.

We also have the following live events scheduled for next few weeks. All times are EST.

2-3-2018 1-32-28 PM.jpg

DVieau2

PFG, Picture Framing God
There are too many Facebook groups. I belong to to three (I think)

I like the Grumble best because of easy navigation and search.

Good stuff come up in each group.

My hat is off to Mo. He's always helpful, nice and interesting.

I believe the first Facebook group, and some groups thereafter popped up when someone had a beef.

My observation, and I say this affectionately, is that framers are a quarrelsome group.

No one should expect any privacy on Facebook or the Grumble. Don't buy into the notion that any group is "just between us"

Grumble is the best!

Last edited:

FramerInTraining

Forum Donor
I totally agree. There is no way to make sure of that online or even offline.

There are too many Facebook groups. I belong to to three (I think)

I like the Grumble best because of easy navigation and search.

Good stuff come up in each group.

My hat is off to Mo. He's always helpful, nice and interesting.

I believe the first Facebook group, and some groups thereafter popped up when someone had a beef.

My observation, and I say this affectionately, is that framers are a quarrelsome group.

No one should expect any privacy on Facebook or the Grumble. Don't buy into the notion that any group is "just between us"

Grumble is the best!

Philliam Phulgor

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level 2
Grumble is the best!
Quarrelsome??? I have spent so much time on a baseball, football, sports forum thru a newspaper site and you "ain't never" seen such nasty contrariness, confrontation, name-calling, threatening quarrelsomeness as goes on there. But that's sports. I won't comment on the political forums unless I just feel like poking an angry bear for the fun of it.

Register for the picture framer's grumble

Framar

WOW Framer
Other than the search feature/archives, the main difference between the Grumble and FB framer groups is this: when there was a dust-up on the Grumble, people eventually got over it, or quit, or stayed. On Facebook - they start a new group. Same old same old - only with one or two prominent names missing.

Heck - I am in a bunch of cat groups on Facebook and even they have dust-ups and split in twain.

It is a crazy world.

Philliam Phulgor

Your new! :D
i r 2!
But I've popped in to observe, casually, since joining in Jan., 2014 and looked in, infrequently, long before that. Of course, WARPED was restricted then as it is now so I'm sure I missed plenty of ballyhoo's, outbursts, kerfuffles and beetchslaps.
Yes, I guess I'm pretty new here. But I'm not new as I started framing roundabout 1970ish.

prospero

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Facebook groups are OK to a point. The posts are a bit ephemeral. Once they get pushed down by newer posts they
vanish forever. If I scroll down too far my PC chokes and the page lags to the point where it's almost impossible to
browse. And then there are the annoying pop-ups. Sometimes if you start to type a name it tries to second-guess you
and fill in something completely irrelevant and doesn't like it when you try to change it back. All-in-all it's not a format
for serious discussion.

LifeSaver Cloud from LifeSaver Software, Inc.

Ylva

Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Yes, there are many groups. Since all the ones I’m in are more or less active and I find information in different groups, I don’t see the problem.
I like the grumble, I do miss some faces who used to be very active but for me, this is the place where it all started and where I still like to check in.

Forum format is great for research and keeping track of main topics.
Facebook groups are good for quick interaction. Both have a place and a purpose. If there are groups yo7 don’t like, you simply leave or ignore

RoboFramer

PFG, Picture Framing God
Someone asked this same question on one of these F Book groups and I tried to find it - it took me about 6 minutes and it was only posted 6 days ago. Here I'd be able to find it in seconds

Forums are a much better platform unless the F Book group is very specific e.g. the French Matting Community but even that, or anything else if warranted, could be given a sub forum here and would be easier to navigate.

On the main group "Underpinner" I see, most days that there are "20+" posts and there's no way I can scroll through and read them all, even to see what they are about you have to scroll down through the lot, you can't see subject headings .... there ARE no subject headings maybe that's why there are so many groups - like sub forums here. I rarely get past 5 posts before I realise I've wasted my time - part of me used to think I've got this far and I'm not stopping until I find something good, but not any more. I only watch the one group too - how some people can be so active on so many groups beats me - well, bar some who are there for self promotion perhaps.

Crazy

Framar

WOW Framer
If you slightly misspell Framer's Only, you get an online dating site for Farmers.
"You don't have to be lonely - at Framer's Only Dot Com."

prospero

"Farmers" is a bit of UK rhyming slang for a very unpleasant ailment. :oops:

FramerInTraining

Forum Donor

alacrity8

The first ***** Only that I ever saw was Framers Only, so that is my frame of reference.
I still find it odd that Tegus Only is not a dating site. (Tegus are a large South American rainforest lizard)

FM Framer

Only three? I am surprised there aren't more.
My preference is the Grumble - why look at a 'copy' when I see the 'original' without the other garbage that FB includes at no extra charge. I am not a day to day user of FB and never will be so pulling the plug on them won't be an issue.

Register for the picture framer's grumble

Larry Peterson

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Resource Provider
Yup. 2 year old thread. Multiplying like bunnies since then.

Ylva

Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
I am in so many Facebook groups, I lost track. Framers point is the old Grumble group, you remember, the one used when the G was down.
Created by Mike.

What I find truly difficult is finding posts back. The search function is non existent. Posts don’t show up in order. There are some great posts but without interaction it simply gets lost.

I love the G! I like the structure of it and the search function is good and getting better.

Framar

WOW Framer
About the only good thing in the framing groups of FB is just going to the Photos page and there you can rather easily scroll through all the photos anyone has ever posted. Other than that, the search feature there is crummy.

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
The G could further improve the search and photo picture library features, if you find those to be strong points. There are some upgrades coming in August, including an optional smartphone app, and a way to "rate" the most useful answer in a discussion.

Mike

cvm

PFG, Picture Framing God
Yay, app!

LifeSaver Cloud from LifeSaver Software, Inc.