Which Valiani CMC would you advise on getting as a startup?

Unless you have big production plans, I'd suggest buying the entry-level model with heads for 40, 90, and maybe 45 degree cuts; debossing (three sizes in the kit); and if you can swing it, the Mat Stylus kit, because it's more useful than you can imagine.

Unless you have big production plans, I'd suggest buying the entry-level model with heads for 40, 90, and maybe 45 degree cuts; debossing (three sizes in the kit); and if you can swing it, the Mat Stylus kit, because it's more useful than you can imagine.

What is the model name?

And what is a mat stylus kit? Why do you think it is useful? thanks.

What is the model name?
We purchased a new Valiani Ultra BC this year, with the no waste button clamp system and 5 or 6 different heads. I highly recommend it. The support has been excellent, and the 2019 VStudio software auto updates as new versions are released. We easily import designs from CorelDraw. US Sales and distribution are handled by Crescent Cardboard company.

(We also have a Wizard 8000 that has been a very reliable and faithful employee for 10+ years. no complaints there, either!)

Both Valiani and Wizard will be set up with machines at FrameCon in a month, and I'm sure they will both be running show specials. It's probably worth a trip out, to take advantage of the show discounts.

Mike

Last edited:
I know this is going to sound old school, but I have operated for 8 years at my shop only using an Esterly wall mounted cutter, no computer cutter. It is possible and something I recommend if you are just getting started and not expecting large volume. On the rare occasion there is a mat I can not cut I can get them from one of two suppliers cut for me. Just a thought if you are just getting started.

I know this is going to sound old school, but I have operated for 8 years at my shop only using an Esterly wall mounted cutter, no computer cutter. It is possible and something I recommend if you are just getting started and not expecting large volume. On the rare occasion there is a mat I can not cut I can get them from one of two suppliers cut for me. Just a thought if you are just getting started.

Thank you. I was thinking about that too, just ask the supplier to cut them for me. Do you know if all mat suppliers cut them?

You need to see if the suppliers that support you offer the service. Not everyone has the same suppliers.

Amen to Dostie Bros comment.

A C.M.C. is a very expensive piece of equipment and could well double the cost of setting up your business. In a startup having that cash in the Bank could be vital in letting you deal with any unforeseen expenses or, possibly, a slower than expected growth of turnover. In the worst case scenario if your business does fail you would take quite a big hit on selling it second hand.

Back