What would your price be??

Elaine

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
I recently priced a frame job that was a "redo" because of an error. I priced it at retail and then had to add pickup/drop off, etc. When I heard back what the original price was from the original shop, I have to question their numbers - so here are the specifics of the job:

Picturewoods moulding #501
Size - 59 1/8 x 48 5/8

Plexi - assume regular
cream acifree mat - looked like rag w/o opening with foamcore backing

strainer bars on inside back of frame for suport
wire hangers

So, I'm curious - how would you price this??

thanks

elaine

..."looked like rag w/o opening with foamcore backing."

Does that mean the art was top mounted?? If so, was there a spacer between the art and the plexi? If so, was it a 1/8" or 1/4" spacer or a Picturewoods spacer to match the frame? So many questions, so little info. :confused: :confused:

Picturewoods #501 maple with Clear Lacquer,

Art, from what I could see, hinge mounted with foamcore lift of 3/16

This is what I saw visually, I did not get the opportunity to take it apart.

thanks

elaine

I still can't tell if the mat has an opening cut into it ( the art is behind the mat) and then raised above the art with 3/16" F/C or what? If that is so... then I can assume there is no spacer between the art and the plexi.
So I'm going to assume the art is matted with a spacer behind the mat so it floats away from the art.
Sounds like a pastel to me. Just out of curiosity, who is the artist?

As you gave a dimension of 48 5/8" for one of the dimensions, then everything used for this job is oversized. The mat will have to come out of a 60 x 108 Rising board which is about $70 our cost. I would figure the cut mat cost at around $180 or so. The plexi comes standard at 48x96 so that also will have to be a special order from a plexi supply place and that won't be cheap either!! The shipping alone would be a killer. I'm figuring around $1,000 minimum no problem based on the oversized materials used.Probably more based on if the art is pastel or not. Hassle factor and all that.

So tell us the numbers they gave you and your numbers. :confused: :confused:

Their price - $583 :confused:

Ours - $1,120 - this was "retrofitted" into a new frame,new plexi,new strainer bar, trimming of the existing mat by a total of 3/4" - basically could have been a very messy job if anything went wrong and I factored that in. Plus, they had to pay for pickup/delivery.

This was a job that sent me bad vibes, but I was asked for a quote to get it to the right size. The original price seems low to me based on what I pay for the same materials and labor.

artwork valued at $5k

Just curious to see where we would fall

elaine

WOW!!! Their price makes no sense at all!!

Especially with all of that oversize stuff. Did you actually see an invoice from the other framer or was that qoute from the customer? That has alot to do with whether I believe that low a price. Could be they were giving you a really low price to get you to come in around the same. I've had that happen. The customer will say they got a price of so much from the other framer in the area and that is supposed to influence me to give them the same low price quote. I've never fallen for that yet. My price is my price. Have they given you an indication of whether you will be doing the job??
Please, keep us posted as it will be interesting to see how they go.

I found out the price after I was told I didn't get the job. The interior designer is a friend, and her client shared the information when they were discussing what to do - send it back to the original framer in the midwest (from NY) or have me do it. I told the interior design office, that I would not be able to compete on a retrofit of someone elses work due to the labor cost of picking up, and dropping it back off and that I would give her my retail cost to do the retrofit plus any other items/issues would be time and materials. I don't really need to fix someone elses mistakes, and we all know what can go wrong when you start taking apart frames and are dealing with plexi in that size, and start trimming things down. The package size was off by 3/4" and it was meant to be the same size as the one it was to hang next too, so it looked off and for 3/4" you can't trim the frame down to the right size.

It was an interesting exercise, but I hate it when these things make me question my prices, and I hate it when someone out there is lowballing work of that size and nature - their price doesn't make sense for an independent shop.

my 2 cents, and I'm sure someone can dispute my logic! :D

elaine

what is the chop price?

$100-140 depending on maple finish chosen plus shipping

Back