What Would You Charge ???

Studio2bn

True Grumbler
Need a little guidance on pricing folks ...
I am about to get a contract for 2000 frames
smileyshot22.gif
smileyshot22.gif
smileyshot22.gif
..and Yes...I did charge enough...
Now....they have come back and want to know what I would charge to cut the foamcore for 2000 frames and put "Saw Tooth" hangers on them...
Though I have put a saw tooth hanger on from time to time.. I don't have the time to time myself on what time it would take to do 2000 !!!
shrug.gif

They are suppling all the foamcore and hangers/nails....All I have in it is time/labor...
faintthud.gif

SO.....what would some of you guys charge to cut 2000 foamcore backs and put 2000 saw tooth hangers on them...
Thanks for all your time and help

1. Insist on the kind of sawtooth you can staple to the back of the frame. It will cut your time and give you an excuse to get that pneumatic stapler you've been dying to have. With a jig, economy of movement, and a power tool, you can probably average 4-5/ minute. Be sure to charge for the repetitive motion injury therapy you'll be needing. With standard sawteeth and the 3/8" CC nails double the time involved if just to give your poor finger and thumb a break from being hit with the hammer.

2. The foam board depends upon the size of the initial sheet, and the size you are cutting to. The yield/board ration will tell you how many times you will have to stop cutting to reload the cutter. You should be able to get most pieces from a sheet with just 2 cuts, but the end pieces will probably be 3. It would probably be worth the price of a couple sheets of foamboard to do a quick time/motion study. Remember to stop periodically to sip your favorite caffinated beverage and change the blade.

I was half joking about the repetitive motion injury...half not. If using a wall cutter for the foam board. the downward stroke and the sudden stop at the end has caused the bursitis in my right elbow to flare up when doing smaller jobs than this.

Thanks folks for all the input...

NOW...round 2 ...I just found out that the foamcore is 1/2 inch thick !!! I have been wanting a new Fletcher 3000 ..but realize that it will only cut 1/4 thick stuff...The 3100 will cut up to 1/2 but that is not the model I wanted....So folks....how do you cut 1/2 thick foamcore....And no, I didn't ask.....I think it is exactly the size to fill the frame out ...
Thanks....
J. Michael

I always like a project that justifies a new machine purchase. You might want to check out the sawtooth installation devices from fletcher or craft inc. and base your bid on that.

However you put them on you are going to spend a bunch of time moving around stacks of product especially if you have a smallish work space.

Peter Bowe
Saline Picture Frame Co.

Originally posted by Peter Bowe:
I always like a project that justifies a new machine purchase.
Like the Car Talk guys!

I don't think I'd want to hand cut 2000 pieces of fome core! How big is the frame? Instead of them providing the fome ould you find out the price they are going to pay for it then hit your supplier up for providing it to you at that cost pre-cut? I got a "deal" from DonMar once on Black fome because they had done this for a bigger customer and they sold me some of the cut-offs.

Get a quote from your supplier to cut the foam core before you do anything - it might be cheaper in the long run & they can keep there product - or you can!

Back