What to do with THIS fabric art?

Rozmataz

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
I have a good one here. Customer brought in original artwork someone had done for him from Florida from a photograph. Not a total likeness but not too bad. It is painted on a very thin fabric - and guess what the artist (cheap and/or dumb) wrapped (!) it around to create this artwork - 3 layers of corrugated cardboard from TOILET PAPER carton. I almost gagged. I removed the fabric from the cardboard and am now sitting here wondering the best way to deal with it now. I knew it was on corrugated since you could see it from the back but I didn't know the fabric thickness (thin-ness!) at the time...

What do you think....

Thanks,

Roz

Hi Roz,

Could you not simply replace the corrugated with matboard or a combination of matboard/a/f foam board to achieve the same thickness as the corrugated?

I don't know how it was secured on the reverse originally, but you could make pressure sensitive tape with Lascaux HV360 and Japanese paper. You can make the tape tacky on one or both sides.

Rebecca

Rebecca, the original was secured with - ta da - masking tape!! "Some artists...."

I think that is the direction I will take with it...

Thanks for your input.

Roz

Originally posted by RozR:
...and guess what the artist...wrapped (!) it around to create this artwork - 3 layers of corrugated cardboard from TOILET PAPER carton...
Could you counteract the bad effects of that toilet paper carton by re-wrapping the art around something better -- say, an air freshener carton?
shrug.gif

But seriously...

How big is it? Perhaps you could remove the art from the cardboard, baste the thin fabric to a larger piece of washed muslin, then stretch the muslin over stetcher bars, 4-ply or 8-ply matboard, or another suitable backing.

Basting to a stronger fabric would enable you to mount it without fear of damaging the art.

Jim - It is a fairly small piece and the fabric is strong enough - I wrapped it and it is fine!! Thanks for the thoughts/ideas, though!! Roz

Ooooo, Jim, I love the idea of the air freshener carton. Do you think if just maybe it might some zeolite printing on it...
thumbsup.gif

Man, if only if
beer.gif

Jim.... the air freshener carton idea went right over my head at the time.... that was funny!!!

And Baer - it had ALOT of printing on it...
beer.gif

Back