• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.

What is this type of frame/moulding called

Beauty, Brawn, and Brains: Wizard Z1 CMC

snafu

MGF, Master Grumble Framer
What is this type of frame/moulding called?
I've seen it from a rep years ago as a cheap way of framing oils, it's just a ~.25" x 1.25" lattice type wood
Usually not mitered just nailed to the canvas, I've seen it in my doctors office

Customer says it not a floater

Framar

WOW Framer
Buffalo, New York, USA/Fort Erie, Ontario, Canada
Cheapest and ugliest possible way of framing a canvas. Even I framed a canvas in college with lath strips, but at least I had the good sense even back then to paint the strips black.

Maybe these are the SOURCE of the "four sticks of wood" mythology!

wpfay

Comfort Badger
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Sunshine Frames
Prototype floater frame.

Not really, James and Mar got it. Lathe was the fancy version, I've seen it done with screen moulding. There was a period where the manufacturers embraced it and made finished lathe strip mouldings with metallic tenite inserts on the face. There were even closed corner versions with gilded faces.

Framar

WOW Framer
Yes. When I worked for Kramer the Framer in the late sixties he sold nicely finished walnut stripping with either a silver of a gold leafed face. And they were carefully mitered for installation.

LifeSaver Cloud from LifeSaver Software, Inc.

Framar

WOW Framer
Oh, and the tenite versions were horrid because the tenite shrunk in a couple of years and a lovely 1/8th inch gap would open in each carefully mitered corner.

wpfay

Comfort Badger
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Sunshine Frames
Here ya go, Mar. Blast from the past. Gold is a 1/2" Tenite, silver leaf is a 1/4" scavenged 50" square frame.

Attachments

• IMG_0265.jpg
    IMG_0265.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 15

Framar

WOW Framer
Ya know, I have some old stuff like that around someplace - and I bet if the tenite were mitered again, it probably wouldn't shrink any more and it would be perfectly fine!

Lafontsee

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level 2
If you wanted a bougie version in hardwood, Picture Woods sells shadowbox spacers that you could nail around a canvas. You could even leaf the top like Mar said Kramer used to do.

Not recommending it, just saying...

James

Beauty, Brawn, and Brains: Wizard Z1 CMC
LifeSaver Cloud from LifeSaver Software, Inc.