Question What is this tape?

Mary Beth van der Horst

MGF, Master Grumble Framer
Business
Mary Beth's Custom Framing Studio
I've found this tape used on a few originals now(reframing old things for ppl) and I'm curious what it is-- It's fabric, but much more flexible/pliable than typical Filmoplast linen tape. I was kindof impressed how well it held and how cleanly it removed from some traditional printmaking paper. A part of me thinks it's medical tape, but that's... dubious. I know one was done in another reputable frame shop, so I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt for now. I've searched lots of varying framing tapes, but all I can find is the filmoplast I already know is much stiffer and more aggressive. If it's actually "archival", I'd love to get more and experiment with it since it held so well on rag paper... as a quick alternative to starched hinges for the cheapos.

I realize a picture of a white piece of tape won't help much, so I tried taking a video showing how pliable it is--I can stretch it on the diagonal oh so nicely. Since it's not as stiff as my other linen tape, it won't tear as easily.

What are your thoughts?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

My guess is surgical tape. It was used a bit at one point because it was considered to be "acid free".

Like all other pressure sensitive adhesive tapes, it has little application in the framing world as the adhesives are not stable over the long haul, and direct contact with art is eschewed.

Yeah, people ...meaning artists... seem to get archival and antiseptic mixed up all the time.

It is surgical tape. I have a couple rolls at home from various times I cut myself and had to tape a gauze bandage onto my arm..or elsewhere.

Not meant to be in any framing package.

Then again, neither do band aids which an artist used for T-hinging her art onto a mat. nicely done T-hinges but, still... :nuts: :faintthud:

Doesn't look exactly the same, but it brings Micropore tape to mind. Micropore works fine for hinging mats, and haven't seen it yellow in pieces over 25 years old, but would never use with art. Before hiring me, my previous boss used it to tape art to the back of mat windows (on all four sides....ack!). When one has occasionally come back over the years, the tape has no discoloration, but removal is a mess. It leaves sticky behind wherever it was. Your tape there looks thicker than Micropore, but just FYI.

I rarely use anything self adhesive in a frame package. It does look like medical tape to me (similar what is on my finger right now....ouch)
It isn't a strong bond and I doubt it would last in any application.

I have a couple rolls at home from various times I cut myself and had to tape a gauze bandage onto my arm..or elsewhere.
Really, just regular old "Scotch" tape works wonders on many cuts. We used to have an employee that ALWAYS had some cellophane on one finger (or two) or another.

I sliced my finger open on the edge of a Morso blade once.. such a sharp edge that it didn't bleed at first. I wrapped it with a paper towel and then masking tape so I could drive myself to the hospital down the street.

So.. whatever tape is within reach works best!!
Small stuff gets a drop of CA glue.

Ok I think we can write it off as surgical tape then... I had my suspicions, but I think Shayla talking about Micropore tape is what convinced me. I've had 2 pieces very recently with it. One I know was mounted within the last couple of years and removed somewhat cleanly. The remaining adhesive rolled off, but that may have been thanks to the rag printmaking paper pilling off a tiny bit with the adhesive. The second was likely a bit older job with watercolor paper--which definitely left a little bit more tack. Both tapes were bright white--didn't look aged or acidified at all.

Yeah, people ...meaning artists... seem to get archival and antiseptic mixed up all the time.
I laughed at this statement far too long last night. Back in college I dual majored Biology and Studio Art. Made me think off everything that got lost in translation as I carried ideas across the lawn from the art building to the science building and visaversa.
I sliced my finger open on the edge of a Morso blade once.. such a sharp edge that it didn't bleed at first. I wrapped it with a paper towel and then masking tape so I could drive myself to the hospital down the street.

So.. whatever tape is within reach works best!!
Small stuff gets a drop of CA glue.
Hey! I've done that already too! For a cut that sharp tho, a quick clean and a tight squeeze will usually mean your unburst cells will latch back together and heal quick. My other half is a chef--we go by the same rule(if it's under control and not dripping on product, no ER needed)

I'm 90% sure it is Lineco self adhesive linen tape. I've been using for the last 13 years. I also have the filmoplast self adhesive linen tape. The Lincoln is archival and a lot more flexible (like your video) than the Filmoplast.

I like the filmoplast for book hinging mat board because it is stiffer.

I'm 90% sure it is Lineco self adhesive linen tape. I've been using for the last 13 years. I also have the filmoplast self adhesive linen tape. The Lincoln is archival and a lot more flexible (like your video) than the Filmoplast.

I like the filmoplast for book hinging mat board because it is stiffer.
AHA! Ima get a roll and compare. I def agree filmoplast for book hinges... but I just can't sate my curiosity until the mystery is solved. I don't want to tell my old printmaking teacher I found medical tape on the back of her last juried original 😅

AHA! Ima get a roll and compare. I def agree filmoplast for book hinges... but I just can't sate my curiosity until the mystery is solved. I don't want to tell my old printmaking teacher I found medical tape on the back of her last juried original 😅
Is it possible that she framed it the first time?

Is it possible that she framed it the first time?
No. She took it to another framer in town... Ironically, he closed down last year about the same time I opened up. I tried to buy his business off of him but price was astronomical. I've heard mixed reviews about him but he originally took over from a very respected and reputable framer, so I don't really know the depth of his education or practices.

How ironic, I've been using the Lineco self adhesive tape for the last 13 years and was looking for a stiffer tape and decided to give filmoplast a try about a month ago.

Back