What do you wear for shoes at work?

I am with my friend from across the pond, Clarks. Got to love them. I also like vans, but I got fat feet, so many of thier shapes are for slenderer feet. So I am picky on those.

Antifatiuge mats.

I have thought about Crocs, but to be honest you all are funny looking wearing them. So I already got issues, I don't need people busting on my shoes. Maybe I will start with beach ones.

Pl

I was wearing wal-mart brahma work boots for about a year. These shoes break your feet in, your feet don't break the shoes in. I just opened up a new frame shop about 3 weeks ago. I opened next door to a Naot shoe dealer. The guy is a saint. He gave me a pair of Naot Arcadia shoes to try. They are a dream. I don't have to hobble home after a long day of work anymore. I swear by these shoes now. Look in to getting a pair. His web site is http://www.theshoeinn.biz/home/default.asp.

Naots are pretty good. I have one pair, and they feel great for most situations, but my pair has a slightly raised heel which plays havoc with my knees after standing for a long time. Sort of like Dansko clogs do. Its amazing how much trouble picture framers have with thier feet and knees! Maybe it is because we are not all such a young bunch on this forum.

Its amazing how much trouble picture framers have with thier feet and knees! Maybe it is because we are not all such a young bunch on this forum.
...and our hands and wrists and necks and shoulders and backs and hearing and lungs and......

But we love our work, don't we?:D :D :D

Husband just left for a walk. Takin' his new Crocs for a long-walk test-drive. He called me earlier today to tell me he cannot believe how good his feet feel (after day#2), and to ask Baer how to go about buying Croc shares?

Baer?

Kirstie,

Great website. One of the best I've seen in the framing industry. Very informative.

Thank you so much for the feedback, Michael. We do the work in house, but updating it is a bit slow because I am dependent upon my part time manager's time. I am learnign as fast as I can, and I can update text and photos, but I still need to learn how to add pages, add new subjects, etc.

Eventually the underpinnings will be reworked by an IT person, but for now I am happy with the general look and navigation of the site. Our next step will be an online store. First, we need several hours--no, days--of update!

Thanks again. We get a lot of business from the site.

I am a recent Croc convert myself. I have been wearing them for a couple of weeks now. After 22 years of framing I definitely have framers knees/feet. They do make my feet sweat if I wear them without socks. My leather Borns don't do that but, the Crocs are more comfortable so I guess it is worth that annoyance. At this stage of the game I could care less how ugly they are, because they are ugly. Comfort is my only priority. I'll definitely keep a pair at the store in the winter to change in to.

Last edited:
Hi Val

I don’t know which ones......one of my customers in a pharmaceutical manufacturing with a cleanroom facilities told me about it....they could not use them due to the danger of static causing explosions ...............someone else told me that crocs have versions with anti-static strips built into them I would be very sceptical of that solution given some of the knowledge I have of static problems....

http://www.esdjournal.com/articles/Crocs/crocs.htm

Dermot, If you would have read the whole article you might have found this little tidbit: "[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Maybe the Swedish hospitals have other problems? Maybe the story is just a crock about the Crocs." [/FONT]

I think they should have been looking at their use of sheet vinyl instead of the old standby for anti-static flooring "Linoleum" or the now "Marmoleum". The Legacy,Providence and Kaiser Hospitals here in America have absolutely no problems with Crocs and static charges... neither does Intel and my nephew says that he isn't the only one there wearing them.

But then Sweden has always had their way of bashing things that are Non-Volvo.

But you are right about the use of fatigue mats and crocks or any other orthodic shoe such as running, walking trainers, Crocs, Mephistos, and any shoe with a orthodic heel cup and arch support. The give/support rate of fatique mats have been shown to counter the orthodic benifits of these support footwear. But for standard hard soled footwear, fatigue mats are a must.

But you are right about the use of fatigue mats and crocks or any other orthodic shoe such as running, walking trainers, Crocs, Mephistos, and any shoe with a orthodic heel cup and arch support. The give/support rate of fatique mats have been shown to counter the orthodic benifits of these support footwear. But for standard hard soled footwear, fatigue mats are a must.

I can attest to this and now I understand why. When I stand on the mats, or any softer surface, my knees actually hurt more. Interesting.

I'm a big fan of my Keens. They're built for all sorts of terrain since they're primarily a hiking shoe company, they offer a nice wide foot bed and great arch support. I even have a pair that are almost like sandals, with a little bit of open spaces, but still have covered toes, that I can wear in the shop during warmer weather. I live in these things both in the shop and out.

Yes, they cost more but I live in these things and they're less expensive than replacing a knee or a hip.

http://www.keenfootwear.com/category_page.cfm?siloID=1

I can attest to this and now I understand why. When I stand on the mats, or any softer surface, my knees actually hurt more. Interesting.
After working in a shop that had those rubber fatigue mats, my knees would swell up like balloons and that's when I started having knee issues. My doctor told me it's because they're rubber, and when you make a turn, unless you pick your feet way up each time, your feet will stay planted for a second, while the rest of you moves, until your feet catch up to make the turn. What happens is, while your feet are waiting to catch up, it causes a twisting of your knees.

Repeated twisting is what's so hard on the muscle and tendon fibers, which actually cause tiny, microscopic tears in them, day after day, that never has a chance to heal, hence the inflammation. I have padded, carpeted floors around my work tables now, no rubber mats. The knee damage is too advanced, but it still helps some. Knee brace now. Then surgery when I can't stand (ha!) it anymore, both knees. Yuck.

Oh boy I am so excited!!! The bestest most comfortable and coolest looking footwear I have ever owned that I thought was lost and gone forever (deep breath!) - I have found a source and I am ordering 3 pairs (for the price of one pair of Born shoes!) - once I have these in my possession if you are all really good - only then will I share my secret source with y'all!!!!!

Bwahahahahaha!!!!!

What do you wear for work shoes

Beleive it or not..combat boots...not regular combat boots but tropical jungle boots that I used in Vietnam..they are sooo comfortable and supportive for these old feet, ankles, and knees..had a heck of a time finding a source but finally did so I ordered 6 pair. They are great in this Florida climate also for all the outdoor activities (except the beach of course).

Well I just found a pair of Croc's that don't look exactly like clown shoes. Being a guy, I didn't like all of the brite colors and the little cut outs.

Found a pair at the Hallmark next door on sale for 1/2 price ($20.) that are called Aspen (no little cut outs) and come in a chocolate brown color.

So far liking the comfort really well. Remains to be seen if they keep their cush, or break down after a while of walking on them.

JPaul, I have had mine a month now and they are actually getting more comfortable, if that is possible. I didn't know you could get them without holes in them. Those holes make me nervous with glass.

They won't break down. I am on my 5th pair of Crocs and still have the first pair although the soles are worn smooth now. I just ordered a pair of Quarks from a website and they should arrive on Friday. I want to try them and compare how they fit to my Crocs. I also bought a pair of Crocs Beach style which has a leather top sewn onto the composite bottoms and they are full heel unlike the open heel Crocs I have now.

Regarding the Swiss Masai shoes, I tried a pair of their sandals and they were absolutely fantastic feeling on my feet!! My problem is a few broken bones that didn't heal properly in my left foot. My orthopedic surgeon told me that I could spend a thousand dollars on shoes and they wouldn't solve my problems until such time that I get my foot rebroken and set properly.

That just doesn't sound appealing to me at this time. I took the MBT's back and the young lady was nice enough to refund my $267 for them. I only wore them on carpet until I made up my mind. That was the bargain when I bought them.

I love...

my QUARKS!!!! I have 4 pair now! Lime green, purple, navy and black. They didn't have the red ones when I went to buy them. I even ordered a pair a size larger to wear socks in them for the winter and keep at the store!

My feet don't hurt like they used to!! worth every penny!

Elaine

Mine should be here today, Elaine, I can hardly wait to try them on!! Have you worn Crocs at all? If so, how do the Quarks compare to the Crocs?? I like the more open ventilation of the Quarks Freedom to the Crocs.
................. I think.

I tried Crocs, but...

The differences I found between Crocs & Quarks are:

1) Crocs tend to rock your physical alignment backwards, whereas the Quarks have a slight heel that project you forward. This may mean more to me since I've had my hips replaced and need to be aware of posture, etc.

2) I like the looks of the Quarks better. Quarks also have solid clog-like look on one style and a ventilated slot-look style on another style. I bought the slotted ones for the summer and my feet do not sweat like they did in the others. I also feel like I can wear the Quarks with a little bit dressy clothes if I wanted; I didn't feel that way with the crocs - felt like I had duck-billed shoes on!

3) My local store actually sells them in their store less than they are online! Would never have guessed it in this tourist town.

Those are the main differences for me.

Elaine

Ha!! My feet are in Quarks as I type!! The UPS girl who delivers both to the gallery and my home came in and she dropped them off an hour ago! Quite a different feel as you said, the Quarks do tilt you up and forward from what I am used to with the Crocs.

I ordered mine 2 sizes large according to their directions and I may have to get another size bigger as they are a bit tight and I don't know if they will stretch any when they get heated and worn.

But I really like their feel and their looks!!

I may be a convert if I can figure out the sizing differences.

Becoming a Quark groupie!

Just bought a paid of SAS sandals. They feel heavenly and I've worn them around town for a week now. Not really for work, but I'm going to wear them tomorrow if the fog doesn't roll in tonight. I work mostly design and in the front room, so I can break the rules. After all, I am not on Workman's Comp!

Being the athletic guy that I was, its Nike cross trainers for me.

Privo! by Clarks. Pricey, but gawd, so comfy!

This spring I went with apple green. Tiny bubbles of air under my feet like little men massaging my feet when I walk.

Before these, I swore by my Merrell slip ons, suede to take the glass edges that get rested on the tops.. they slip on, but they don't slip off!

I'm not a big fan of exposed toes in the frame shop. It was a serious rule in the first two shops I worked in, now it's just habit to cover the little piggies..

I leave the Crocs to my kids, who are in the Jibbitz phase, and are now wearing their Crocs one color per foot. For some reason, with these shoes, no one ever gives a look of concern for their fashion sense if my daughter is wearing one torquoise shoe and one red shoe. :shrug:

.................. I leave the Crocs to my kids, who are in the Jibbitz phase, and are now wearing their Crocs one color per foot. For some reason, with these shoes, no one ever gives a look of concern for their fashion sense if my daughter is wearing one torquoise shoe and one red shoe. :shrug:

I was talking to one of our new customers yesterday who noticed that I had Crocs on my feet, and she said that she wouldn't wear anything else around the house but Crocs. BUT ..... she wouldn't be caught dead in public with them on her feet!! Why? 'Cause they aren't fashionable, she said. I said that I wasn't wearing mine to make a fashion statement, I was wearing them to be comfortable all day standing on my feet.

Then I considered my own around-the-house foot attire and told her that I agree about using them as house slippers. "I would never wear my beat up blue fluffy muff guffs with the smiling bunny head on each toe in public either." I replied.

Of course they weren't made for outdoors wear to begin with but can you imagine what THAT fashion statement would be??? :faintthud:

Back