What are you 3D printing today?!?

It really improves that printer makes it into a fantastic product. Someone else further developed it and has a new release that has many additional improvements, but I haven't tried that yet.

The version you have also adds the ability to pause a print to change to a different color filament. This feature was lacking in the stock fw.

It really improves that printer makes it into a fantastic product. Someone else further developed it and has a new release that has many additional improvements, but I haven't tried that yet.

The version you have also adds the ability to pause a print to change to a different color filament. This feature was lacking in the stock fw.
Yes, I am excited to try that feature out. I've seen several models on Thingiverse that use that feature. Now I can try them!:D

This looks like an interesting print: Cityscapes of the world and otherWorlds.

https://all3dp.com/2/3d-printed-cities-3d-cityscape-3d-models/

hogwarts-a-mini-cityscape-chonho-via-thingiverse-220607_download-e1655998175121.jpg

a-stunning-model-of-lower-manhattan-lydiapy-via-cults-220622_download-e1656000558338.jpg

I saw in the past you could download a topography map of your local city and convert it to a STL file for printing

I saw in the past you could download a topography map of your local city and convert it to a STL file for printing
I have been thinking of doing something similar with topo maps of local mountains.
I think it should be a matter of tracing the contour lines of a topo map in any vector program, converting each vector shape to STL, adding the 3rd dimension of depth to each shape in any 3D software, and then stacking the layers together.
Easy peasy lemon squeezy, right?

Basically like what engineers do:

Contours-presenation.png

One could adjust the degree of accuracy/detail of a 3D contour model by deciding what contour lines to trace.
For example, tracing contours every 50-100 meters would make a fairly rough/course 3D model (I vision the intro scene in Game of Thrones, showing the maps of Westeros).
Tracing contours every 5-10 meters would make a fairly detailed 3D model but would take quite a bit of time to create.
Tracing every meter would be extremely detailed and extremely time-consuming.
Of course, everything would need to be scaled to fit the maximum build area of the printer being used if the goal is one continuous print.

Hmmmm.....now the hamster wheel is really spinning.
This may be my new 3D obsession, figuring this out.
think winnie the pooh GIF

I didn't realize Sunlu has a double one. They usually have me test things before release, and proofread the documentation.

I didn't realize Sunlu has a double one. They usually have me test things before release, and proofread the documentation.
OOpsy! I fed you misinformation 🙄
The dryer brand is not Sunlu, it is Sovol.
This one: Amazon product ASIN B09686Z5R3Because my cabin is not very well climate-controlled (humidity fluctuations like crazy), I wanted to double my options for drying filament.
This way I can be drying 2 while printing with another, and easily switch dry filament without having to wait to dry only one at a time.

OOpsy! I fed you misinformation 🙄
The dryer brand is not Sunlu, it is Sovol.
This one: Amazon product ASIN B09686Z5R3Because my cabin is not very well climate-controlled (humidity fluctuations like crazy), I wanted to double my options for drying filament.
This way I can be drying 2 while printing with another, and easily switch dry filament without having to wait to dry only one at a time.
That product is very well regarded

I have been thinking of doing something similar with topo maps of local mountains.
I think it should be a matter of tracing the contour lines of a topo map in any vector program, converting each vector shape to STL, adding the 3rd dimension of depth to each shape in any 3D software, and then stacking the layers together.
Easy peasy lemon squeezy, right?

Basically like what engineers do:

View attachment 42610

One could adjust the degree of accuracy/detail of a 3D contour model by deciding what contour lines to trace.
For example, tracing contours every 50-100 meters would make a fairly rough/course 3D model (I vision the intro scene in Game of Thrones, showing the maps of Westeros).
Tracing contours every 5-10 meters would make a fairly detailed 3D model but would take quite a bit of time to create.
Tracing every meter would be extremely detailed and extremely time-consuming.
Of course, everything would need to be scaled to fit the maximum build area of the printer being used if the goal is one continuous print.

Hmmmm.....now the hamster wheel is really spinning.
This may be my new 3D obsession, figuring this out.
think winnie the pooh GIF
Here's my first test.
3Dtopo.png

Proof of concept achieved!
Next step will be to try it with a more detailed topo map.

With this project, I got to use my 3D printer, handheld CNC (Shaper Origin) and plexiglass bender.
I made my son a desk lamp that he can bring to his college dorm. I tried to design it as compact and easy to pack. I used some scrap frame moulding&plexiglass and dimmable LED strip lights.
20220628_120359.jpg
20220625_122316.jpg
20220625_122232.jpg
20220628_113948.jpg
20220628_120038.jpg
20220628_120352.jpg

My Square terminal sometimes slides on the table when the client inserts & retracts his/her credit card so I decided to 3d print a tray that I can screw onto the table. Ver. 1 is my first attempt. Version 2, I got a little bit ambitious 😀
20220703_151357.jpg

It's amazing to be able to create just about anything :)

It's amazing to be able to create just about anything :)
Yeah, it's really gratifying to be able to make something from scratch.
That tape roll gadget I posted is 100% from my own noggin.
I used calipers to get precise measures, and everything fit perfectly together on the first print!
I did need to do a little sanding of the rod. But only because I used a brim and it left a ridge on the bottom end.

Which design software do you use?

I've used Tinkercard, Fusion360, and a couple others briefly.

Some projects this month. This is a RESIN print of a book cover, printed and painted by Andy Langlois. (two sided with different designs, and spine) We were experimenting with some soybean based resin that Sunlu sent us to test.

Cover1.jpg

This is the new Eryone dual color filament. The first pic is the Silk Blue/Green, and the second is the standard Blue/Purple PLA.

ERDUALSilk.jpg

ERDUALM1.jpg

They create these filaments with both colors beside each other, so they go through the nozzle apart. One side shows one color, the other side shows the second color. Interesting idea!

Another experiment in 3d printing. I'm using Wyze cams to view the outside of my house and I don't want to drill holes on my outside walls so I just put the cameras up against the glass of my windows. One problem I have is at night, I see the reflection of the white plastic casing of the camera. While looking for something else in Amazon, I product popped up that was a solution to the reflection problem and I thought it was simple enough to 3D print so I made one.
20220716_155106.jpg

The dark shiny black was an unsuccesful print. I run out of filament. So I decided to try the ebony wood filament that I have (dark gray). The tall dark gray print is a failed experiment. I wanted to point the camera 45 degrees downward but it had a "tunnel" effect and blocked sides/periferals(sp?) here is a photo with the camera inserted into it.
20220716_114140.jpg

Attachments

• 20220716_114140.jpg
    20220716_114140.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 29
Another experiment in 3d printing. I'm using Wyze cams to view the outside of my house and I don't want to drill holes on my outside walls so I just put the cameras up against the glass of my windows. One problem I have is at night, I see the reflection of the white plastic casing of the camera. While looking for something else in Amazon, I product popped up that was a solution to the reflection problem and I thought it was simple enough to 3D print so I made one. View attachment 42785
The dark shiny black was an unsuccesful print. I run out of filament. So I decided to try the ebony wood filament that I have (dark gray). The tall dark gray print is a failed experiment. I wanted to point the camera 45 degrees downward but it had a "tunnel" effect and blocked sides/periferals(sp?) here is a photo with the camera inserted into it.
View attachment 42787
That's a great solution, nice job.!

Making more vacuum port adapters. It really annoys me that every time I get a power tool the vacuum ports are always different sizes. Even if I get the same brand. 🤪😠

Attachments

• 20220801_145427.jpg
    20220801_145427.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 28
I finished printing a Mason Jar Candy Machine today, and it is functional/useful. Fun project!

Don't mind the MESS in my print room. :)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I finished printing a Mason Jar Candy Machine today, and it is functional/useful. Fun project!

Don't mind the MESS in my print room. :)

Where did you get the model?
Or is it your own creation?

Where did you get the model?
Or is it your own creation?

Thingiverse, but I used 2 remixes. (a longer chute, and a knob without a logo on it)

1659750243280.png

Resin printed Mini's, next to a quarter - to show size. Expertly painted by Andy Langlois. @AndyPan CPF

Printed on Elegoo Mars 2 Ultra 4k Printer, with Sunlu Plant Based Resin that we were asked to evaluate. (new product)

Were these tools designed by Apple?
:icon11: Rick
Yeah, they call it iPort.
They don't work with anything but iTools.
A new unnecessarily complicated version comes out every year.
New ones are not compatible with any tools that worked with the previous version, so you have to upgrade all of your iTools also.

I'll stick with my Aaannddd-wedon'tcarewhatyoudowithit,whateverisfinewithus-droid, thank you very much. 😜

A new unnecessarily complicated version comes out every year.
New ones are not compatible with any tools that worked with the previous version, so you have to upgrade all of your iTools also.
And the new ones look sleeker but lack the functionality and intuitive use of the previous ones.
:popc: Rick (Mac user since the 90s)

This is our current project, which has about 400 files that have to be printed. It's a 5 story mansion, plus a basement with furnishings. We have printed about 20 so far, but have 4 FDM printers going 24/7.

A vendor is sending a 5th prototype printer for evaluation and documentation, which will be put to use as soon as it arrives! (The new pending Sunlu T3 model)

If you want to win a printer, Geeetech is giving away EIGHT of their new printers in a drawing on 9/5/22 It gets released later this month.

Printer #7 is being delivered today, which is the new Sunlu T3 ("Terminator 3") Both the T3 and the Geetech one being given out are a new breed of printers that claim to print 500% faster. We will see :)

Printer number 7. I'm not sure when I should consider this getting a little bit out of hand? Ha
20220902_122737.jpg

The Sunlu T3 assembled in 10 minutes. Really easy!

20220902_164313.jpg

Mike, any thoughts on

Geeetech THUNDER 3D Printer​

Mike, any thoughts on

Geeetech THUNDER 3D Printer​

I have one coming on release day, actually. I won it in one of their contests, and will be reviewing it.
It looks a lot like the Sunlu T3, which I recently added to our print room.
It will be our first printer from Geeetech, but I love their filament.
Mike

So we had our second family DnD official game play session a few days ago.
My 70 year old mother is our DM, my sister and I (both 50+), and my niece (19) are playing together.
I 3D printed a few objects for mom, she has gone gangbusters on preparing and decorating for this game.
She is having a blast with it.
We are playing "Wild Beyond the Witchlight".
A couple of photos of our game board with arrows indicating the items I printed for "Granny the DM" :D

A group of revelers following the musical group "The Chantrelles" around the carnival grounds.
We heard some good gossip from them.
dnd01.png

Preparing for the "Giant Snail Races", a popular attraction at the carnival.
My character has been tasked with investigating rumors of "snail poachers" *GASP😮
dnd02.png

Perfect campaign for the Halloween season.

We are working on a big piece for Halloween, too. I finished printing the physical building today, now it just needs furniture, windows, doors, and painting. Stormcrow Mansion is a kickstarter that we bought info. I think I put the link above.

It took 5 printers 5 weeks of 24/7 operation to produce this piece that has hundreds of different prints included. It used 32-38 rolls of PLA so far, and probably weighs about 40 pounds. The 6 floors come apart to show rooms that are playable.

1664635749967.png

1664635823359.png

But it's so big I dont know where to store it! haha We also did the big pirate ship and the hag house, both are also waiting to be painted.

I want to hook up my Ender printer directly to my PC.
I'm tired of messing around with tiny SD cards.
I like the idea of printing directly from the 3D software.
I know Octoprint is great, I'll try that next if this PC thing doesn't work.

The cabin I rent is small, basically a stand alone bachelor suite.
I don't have a separate room for the printer.
While it is running it can be less than pleasant to listen to for many hours on end even at 8 feet away where it used to sit.
Now it's got to be right next to my computer/media space.
So I got a house for my robut 🤖 ->🏠
This should keep the noise down, plus it's better for temperature control, etc.

20221008_095130.jpg
20221008_101343.jpg

I purposely ordered a large one, to be ready when I eventually upgrade to a bigger better faster printer.
Always plan ahead! :D

Back