What are you 3D printing today?!?

I see a 1 day deal for a single roll of white PLA, if looking. (Jayo branded Sunlu brand)

Amazon product ASIN B08NHZPZM6
coupon code K2MA-C4FE6N-HSY5AV should bring it down to $10.19, shipped

I see a 1 day deal for a single roll of white PLA, if looking. (Jayo branded Sunlu brand)

Amazon product ASIN B08NHZPZM6
coupon code K2MA-C4FE6N-HSY5AV should bring it down to $10.19, shipped
Here's a screenshot of that deal on Amazon.com (USA)

PLA01.jpg

Here's the identical product on Amazon.ca (Canada)

PLA02.jpg

Sorry that was for US only. Wow they really have a difference in price between countries.

Sorry that was for US only. Wow they really have a difference in price between countries.
Yeah, we just don't have the buying power here.
I guess because of the smaller population, therefore lower demand for a product, blah blah blah....I'm no economologist :rolleyes:.

The price difference in the samples we are discussing is far more than just exchange rate.
As of now, $18.99 US is $24.00 Canadian.
So there is an extra $9.00+ fees/tariffs/etc. added (on top of the exchanged rate), to the cost for getting that item across the border.
NAFTA?? what's that?!?!? :shrug:

Yeah, we just don't have the buying power here.
I guess because of the smaller population, therefore lower demand for a product, blah blah blah....I'm no economologist :rolleyes:.

The price difference in the samples we are discussing is far more than just exchange rate.
As of now, $18.99 US is $24.00 Canadian.
So there is an extra $9.00+ fees/tariffs/etc. added (on top of the exchanged rate), to the cost for getting that item across the border.
NAFTA?? what's that?!?!? :shrug:
Well the stuff comes from China, not USA, but still. hehe

Funny. I have that same blue/silver printing right NOW on one of my printers. (white on the other) I use a lot of Hatchbox and Sunlu/Jayo. I love their silks

I'm currently making my way through this book: Amazon product ASIN B00KMWVOZQ on the Kindle App on my PC and tablet. Love the way I can switch back and forth between the two and it keeps track where I am.

Not so enamored with the the book though. It hasn't been updated since it was written in 2014 and the Tinkercad interface has changed some which makes some things harder to figure out.

Last edited:
Haha, remember last December when I was saying that a family member and his wife quit their jobs (he is an engineer and she has an Ivy League law degree) because their 3D printing business making reptile accessories was going bonkers? Yeah, they now have 10 employees and just got contacted by one of the largest online pet suppliers about providing a product line. Super fun times.

Here is a print I did with that new Blue/Silver filament.

Skull-stronghero1.jpg

This is from the new printer from last week, but I'm not completely happy with it. It has some stringing inside the structure, and needs further adjustment.

I have the printer all torn alarm right now, all over the kitchen table. I'm replacing all 7 fans tonight, with double bearing (quieter) fans.

Eiffel1.jpg

I made a couple of tenon & recess template for my woodturning hobby. Before these I was using a cardboard version. The cardboard version worked well but they get easily damaged or get out of shape. I'm hoping these plastic ones will last longer. It got stringy when it was doing the text.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

There are several groups I belong to that have discount codes for filament (often about $10/roll), and offer printer giveaways and free rolls in exchange for review/evaluation. If interested:

https://www.facebook.com/SUNLUJAYO3D

I found out today that my Cr-6's resume print function actually works. I was printing some acrylic corners overnight and it ran out of filament whilst it was printing. This morning I inserted new filament and off it went. Like nothing happened. :thumbsup:

Some things that finished up last night:

1630007257533.png

1630007298349.png

It's amazing what you can do, and with so little cash outlay.

And yet, I would put money down that in the not-too-distant future we will look at the pieces made today with the same attitude we currently have to the output of a 9-pin dot matrix printer.

I'm hunting to add a new 3d printer to the family, and get these printers a sibling with a larger print area.

The Ouyang TwoTrees Bluer Plus is one that I'm looking at. It has the larger bed size of 300x300x400mm, auto leveling, filament out sensor, dual gear extruder, twin cooling fans, belt tensioners, PEI build plate, silent controller, and a 4.3" color touch screen. It has a lot of features built in, and is a brand I have not yet tried.

Amazon product ASIN B09178W5RD

I hope to order a new printer this week!

Mike
Mike, do you recommend your new printer? I'm looking for a second printer for home and would like one with a larger build area.

I'm still evaluating it. It has a LOT of features. Some of the cooling fans had quality control problems, so I replaced them, but I've been printing a lot prints with it.

It's still in the living room right now, and Monday I hope to empty the spare bedroom and set her up in there (along with the others).

Once set up in there, I have a really large print planned that will take about 2 weeks for the main piece, and uses the FULL limit of the bed. (A Christmas gift for a friend)

I don't have a final opinion yet, but it's a decent product

1630862462864.png

Once set up in there, I have a really large print planned that will take about 2 weeks for the main piece, and uses the FULL limit of the bed. (A Christmas gift for a friend)
A good chance to also test the Resume Print function.

I think I will go for this one. In case I need it, where did you get the replacement fans?

I have 2 of our printers in their new home now, in the home office (spare bedroom)
1631305242244.png

I'm making a HEPA air filter for the frame shop to help control the dust. I needed to plug a hole we're the electrical cable would go through so I designed a simple hole plug in tinkercad. It's just a bunch of cylinders merged together then I cut in half. I also made some simple knobs with an off-center hole to hold the furnace filters in place.

Attachments

• 20211004_112200.jpg
    20211004_112200.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 62
  • 20211004_111803.jpg
    20211004_111803.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 57
  • 20211004_111849.jpg
    20211004_111849.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 57
  • 20211004_111444.jpg
    20211004_111444.jpg
    256.9 KB · Views: 57
  • 20211004_112423.jpg
    20211004_112423.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 55
  • 20211004_112519.jpg
    20211004_112519.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 58
I'm making a HEPA air filter for the frame shop to help control the dust. I needed to plug a hole we're the electrical cable would go through so I designed a simple hole plug in tinkercad. It's just a bunch of cylinders merged together then I cut in half. I also made some simple knobs with an off-center hole to hold the furnace filters in place.
Here's the finished HEPA air filter. The box is made from scrap moulding.

Attachments

• 20211004_223812.jpg
    20211004_223812.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 54
  • 20211004_223836.jpg
    20211004_223836.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 56
  • 20211004_224811.jpg
    20211004_224811.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 57
Pumpkin Pi anyone? :)
PumpkinPie.jpg

I saw this detail sanding stick in a video I was watching. Followed the link in the video to Thingiverve and downloaded the STL file. I plan to use it in refining the fuzz on mat cuts that sometimes happens when cutting with our wizard. I currently use nail files but sometimes find the grit too aggressive. I have to get some screws to use for clamping the sand paper strips to it.
20211022_121409.jpg

She has a sister as well. These are printed in silk black PLA and silk deep purple PLA from SunLu
20211024_061550.jpg

I haven't been doing any printing for a while. :confused:
I have struggled to get my set-up working reliably.
Then I moved the machine to a different location in the house and things got worse.
I've had more frustrations than success.
It kinda took the wind out of my sails for 3D printing.

I haven't been doing any printing for a while. :confused:
I have struggled to get my set-up working reliably.
Then I moved the machine to a different location in the house and things got worse.
I've had more frustrations than success.
It kinda took the wind out of my sails for 3D printing.
If you need help or have questions feel free to ask right here

I tried making a bolt & nut following a tutorial and when I printed them the nut does not want to thread on. I noticed that the tip of the threads on the bolt are bent down like it melted.
20211030_160046.jpg

That's frustrating!

That's frustrating!
After a few attempts of failed printing of nuts & bolts, I gave up and decided to tackle another frustration of mine that 3D printing might solve. The different dust port sizes of my power tools that doesn't seem to match any of my shopvac & dust collection hoses. Here are some 3d printed hose connection adapters I made.
20211030_213101.jpg

I bought some buck converters this week from Amazon, and printed some nice cases to hold them so they dont short against the chasis of the devices they will be mounted in. These are voltage converters that will take a higher dc voltage and lower it to a different voltage, with a knob to control the output voltage. In my case, I'll be using them to reduce a 24v 3d printer power supply down to 12v to supply a special 12v Nocturna cooling fan. (and my other application will be for a 12v to 5v conversion, for an outdoor christmas lights display) I bought 4 of them, just to have some spares for future use.

1637883758134.png

... Printed some D20 gaming dice Christmas tree ornaments in various SILK colors. This is most of them, but there were a couple others not pictured. It was for an order that someone made with me.

d20_silks.jpg

We also got a new RESIN printer yesterday. The second resin printer is an Elegoo Mars 3

Something printed w/new resin printer
Resin4k-A.jpg

Something printed w/new resin printer
View attachment 40497
That is an amazing Dragonborn mini!
Resin prints look so much better than filament.
Smooth gradients and curvatures, and finer details.
I kind of wish I had gone that route instead of the EnderV3.
I still like my printer, but it has been fairly frustrating with the high percentage of flawed & failed prints.
Hopefully, after I get better at fine-tuning my printer settings I will be happier with the results of my filament prints. :shrug:

Well our new resin printer is a 4k version, so it has very good detail. Andy mostly uses our 2 resin printers, while I play with the FDM models.

I may be getting ANOTHER printer this weekend! There is a great deal from a chain of computer stores (Microcenter) where Ender 3 pro is only $99 this week, if you sign up for their email list. ($299, less $100 sale, less $100 coupon by email) I printed my coupon this morning, and plan to take a drive to Boston Sunday morning to get one. Even if it was for spare parts, that is a great deal!

If anyone wants to take advantage, here is the link: $100 Creality Ender 3 Pro 3D Printer | New Customer Exclusive https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/specialoffer3dprinter.aspx

Well our new resin printer is a 4k version, so it has very good detail. Andy mostly uses our 2 resin printers, while I play with the FDM models.

I may be getting ANOTHER printer this weekend! There is a great deal from a chain of computer stores (Microcenter) where Ender 3 pro is only $99 this week, if you sign up for their email list. ($299, less $100 sale, less $100 coupon by email) I printed my coupon this morning, and plan to take a drive to Boston Sunday morning to get one. Even if it was for spare parts, that is a great deal!

If anyone wants to take advantage, here is the link: $100 Creality Ender 3 Pro 3D Printer | New Customer Exclusive https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/specialoffer3dprinter.aspx
I just did a very short Google search for Ender 3's in Canada.
The lowest I saw it for was CAN$350, up to CAN$450. :shrug:

I had been disappointed with my printer for a while.
I figured out a very technical system of diagnostics and troubleshooting to correct it, this is what I did:
-get mad and grump about it for a week or four
-ignore the printer and let it think about how it let me down
-move the printer to a different location and ignore it some more
-get over the grump when seeing others making all sorts of amazing things
-apologize to the printer and make it it's very own special work station
-fire it up and have a nearly perfect print on the first attempt!
Easy Peasy :rolleyes:

Actually I think I figured out the real reason I was having problems.
I think that the filament was underperforming because of too much humidity/moisture.
My cabin is small, the printer was located in an area near the kitchen and bathroom areas, and also below a single pane widow.
Too much moisture in the air.
I moved it as far from all that as possible, and have a fan blowing warm dry air at it.
I have a de-humidifier helping to keep air conditions more stable also.

Here's my latest print:
20211204_070523.jpg

20211204_101552.jpg

20211204_112456.jpg

20211204_113032.jpg

Back