What are you 3D printing today?!?

You can hook it up directly to the PC USB port however it sends one line at a time so if the PC hibernates or something of that sort such as a windows update you will ruin your print. The raspberry pi hardware is extremely hard to find and marked up about 300% now due to the chip shortage. However, you can run the free octoprint software on windows, in an emulator.

Sunlu is giving away 30 of their new T3 (Terminator 3) printers in a day, in the high speed printing contest, if anyone is interested to enter. (and a lot of cash prizes, starting at $1000) I entered but wasn't fast enough to win a 3d printer, but will win a free roll of filament for entering. (I'm RHODY4011 on the list, and got it down to 18m:15s from 4h:13m. Fastest did it in only 6 minutes!) I printed my entry on the T3. Everyone prints the same item (a pumpkin)

Today is the last day, if anyone wants to give it a try. Details on their website and fb groups.

I have a couple more printers on the way, on a slow boat from China:

The Geeetech Mizar

The Geeetech Thunder, their newest high speed printer. 300mm/second.

Here's my latest project.
A Christmas gift for my niece who likes Twix candy bars.

20221218_120439.jpg
20221218_171257.jpg

20221218_120518.jpg
20221218_171351.jpg

It's big enough to fit about 18 mini, or 3 full size 2-pack Twix bars.

I printed the logo twice, to create a better sense of depth with a grey bottom layer and metallic orange top layer.
I glued the logos and lid together with a good quality super glue.
The box alone took over 12 hours to print, but it is nearly flawless. Super smooth, no strands or abnormalities.
I am very happy with the finished product.

My process as follows:

I downloaded a low res bitmap image of a retro Twix logo.

I used Photopea to convert the bitmap image into a vector file.
https://www.photopea.com/ Photopea | Online Photo Editor (free online only photo editing app, does not require purchase or download)

I used Inkskape to tweak and clean up the nodes and curves of the vector file.
https://inkscape.org/release/inkscape-1.2.2/ Download Inkscape 1.2.2 | Inkscape (free to download open source vector editor similar to Adobe Illustrator or Corel Draw)

I opened the adjusted vector in Tinkercad to turn the 2D vector into a 3D model. I also created a simple rectangular box & lid, pictures to follow.
https://www.tinkercad.com/3d-design 3D Design | Tinkercad (free online 3D design & editing app ((plus other stuff)) does not require purchase or download)

I opened the saved 3D STL file in Ultimaker Cura to render the 3D model for my Ender3 printer.
https://ultimaker.com/software/ultimaker-cura Ultimaker Cura: Powerful, easy-to-use 3D printing software (free download)

It sounds like a lot, but really it only took me under 2 hours from start to finish to create the 3D models.
It took about 16+ combined hours for the printer to produce the various components.

Attachments

• Twix-Logo-1982.jpg
    Twix-Logo-1982.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 24
A question for 3D guru Mike...
I got a pack of various sized nozzles.
This pack came with 24-.4, 2-each of .8, .6, .2.
I'm still using the same one that came with my Ender3V2 - a .4mm

I believe .4 is the most common?
Does one need to change the nozzle often? (I can't figure out why else this pack would have so many more .04 compared to the other sizes.)
If I change to .2, would I need to adjust settings (such as print speed, line width, layer height, etc.) and re-render for each model I want to try at a finer resolution?

Yea 0.4 is all I have ever used. If you use a different size, you will have to adjust the slicer software accordingly. Brass nozzles DO wear out and they get shorter. The hole diameter expands, too. The copper ones run about 50 cents and should be replaced every 6 or so months, if you print heavily. Personally, I'm using hardened steel nozzles from MicroSwiss, and they can go a couple years each.

BTW There is now a better firmware for your Ender 3 v2. I have moved from Jyers firmware to MRISCOC firmware. It adds support for input shaping, auto PID tuning, manual mesh, is based on the brand new Marlin code with bug fixes included, and many other great features. It's a free upgrade. If you want to check it out:

The Geeetech Mizar arrived last week, a second Sunlu T3 is coming on Wednesday, and a Geeetech Thunder should be here in 1-2 weeks.

I'm running out of room for printers, this will bring us up to a total of 10.

As of last night, we are up to 10 printers. The Geeetech Thunder high speed printer arrived yesterday (bottom right)

The two resin printers are in another room, and not pictured.

Need a bigger house! haha

1675867769265.png

Ten! That's awesome, Mike!

A family member and his wife, who are in their late twenties, started out with one 3D printer about 4 years ago. They now run 20-or-so printers virtually non-stop, making reptile accessories which they sell through Chewy, among others. They were able to quit their jobs a couple of years ago and do it full time. (One worked in engineering and the other is a lawyer with an Ivy League degree).

Yea I suppose I should put them to work and come up with a product to produce, too.

Most have been for beta testing, evaluation, and documentation.

Made a little lampshade using chopsticks that we've accumulated from our favorite Malaysian restaurant and 3D printed rings. The idea came from an image I saw while searching for parametric lamp shades images. It took a few tries just to get the 3 rings to snap together and to size the holes for the chopsticks to fit correctly. I realized that the size tolerances for mass produced chopsticks are all over the place 🙂. One of the photos a few of the rings that didn't quite work.

Attachments

• 20230308_205841.jpg
    20230308_205841.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 20230308_205757.jpg
    20230308_205757.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 20230308_210125.jpg
    20230308_210125.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 20230308_215407.jpg
    20230308_215407.jpg
    380.8 KB · Views: 26
Depending in the slicer software, 3-D printers use .STL or .STEP files. STEP files offer better surface modeling resolution. STL files are made up of triangles.

This week, I printed some egg dispensers for the fridge. The eggs roll forward to the front.

Egg_Tray.jpg

Downloaded a fencing sword grip from Thingiverse.
I adjusted the print settings in Cura to maximize interior structural support.Thicker walls, gyroid infill, slower speed, etc.
11h 50m to print. It looks fantastic 😍

20240218_073034.jpg
20240218_073107.jpg

20240218_073225.jpg

20240218_074307.jpg

This print is with regular PLA.
Hopefully it will be strong enough to not break while in use. 🤺

The lightest aluminum epee grip I have weights about 80 grams, this print is only 39gs.
I couldn't use this for official competitions, but will be fine for casual club sparring.

Try changing the printing plane from vertical to a angled horizontal of about 45°. This will also give the finished item greater strength when in your hand.

You can also insert metal internal rods for greater strength. Redo the .stl file with holes the same size as the rods. Preheat the rods as you insert them into the plastic so that the heated rods will melt it to fit. This is how threaded inserts are inserted into 3-D printed parts.

Some youtube videos for better strength of parts - You can insert metal rods in this manner.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:

I wish someone would re-create these fantastic tape cutters that ride on the 3" diameter tape core. The company that made them has been out of business for years.
IMG_1421-2.jpg
IMG_1420-2.jpg
Tape Cutter.jpg

:cool: Rick

Last edited:
I wish someone would re-create these fantastic tape cutters that ride on the 3" diameter tape core. The company that made them has been out of business for years.
View attachment 48147 View attachment 48148 View attachment 48149

There are several designs for tape cutters available for free online.
Here are just a couple from Thingiverse.com

tapethingy01.jpg

Untitled.jpg

A bribe of a container of home made cookies will get you all kinds of stuff from a friendly 3D printer enthusiast. :p

I'll be glad to print and send you something, Rick. You can find them at thingiverse.com

Why reinvent the wheel? They are still available
metal version
plastic version

Why reinvent the wheel? They are still available
metal version
plastic version
Most of the ones out there are for 2" tape. The ones I posted came in 1/2", 3/4" and 1" sizes. They are very easy to use, with your hand in a natural, comfortable position while holding it and the tape roll, and you can dispense the exact amount of tape you want.

I don't have a 3D printer myself, but appreciate the possibilities to reproduce useful items.

Do you see anything here that would work? (Note there are multiple pages)

Mike, Rick, and Nick, a .STL file can be converted to a solid body to be further manipulated.
It is fairly easy to take a section of a width out of a body or component in CAD and then stitch it back together to form a thinner solid. A new STL can then be created

There is also this from Uline for 1" tape rolls.

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/H-726/Hand-Held-Tape-Dispensers/Uline-Supermask-Tape-Dispenser Uline Supermask Tape Dispenser H-726 - Uline
or

You might even fine a similar used "strapping tape" dispenser made with real metal vs plastic on Ebay or similar resell sites.

I have a couple of those H-2959. They are fine, but a bit clunkier. I've never found any cutters as intuitive and easier to use than the ones I posted.

AAhh! I did an impulse buy whilst half asleep. :eek:

I ordered a Sunlu S9+ on Saturday evening, direct from Sunlu (50% off!).
It arrived this afternoon. Super fast.
Just finished assembling it.
Significantly larger build volume than my trusty Ender3V2.
20240305_204724.jpg

It gets pretty good reviews for a bargain priced printer.
Has some more advanced functions than the Ender3V2.
I think it will suit my level of skill and low production volume nicely.

My little robot family is growing. 🤖+🤖+👨‍💼=👨‍👦‍👦 Beep Boop

I have an s9+, too

haha nah we only have 11 printers. the 3 resin ones are not pictured, and are in a different spare bedroom. Three of mine are down right now. I need to find some time to get them going again :)

PrintRoom10.jpg

LOL Mike 'you only have 11 printers'
Snort
Companies keep asking me to evaluate, review, and document their new products. I'm fine with that. Have about that many dash cams, for the same reason. Room humidifiers: 31

Tell me about it. Looking like a hoarder house!

omg andy just called and told me that Amazon just delivered 2 more humidifiers! Now 34

Back