What are you 3D printing today?!?

Larry Peterson

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Resource Provider
I had been disappointed with my printer for a while.

Actually I think I figured out the real reason I was having problems.
I think that the filament was underperforming because of too much humidity/moisture.
My cabin is small, the printer was located in an area near the kitchen and bathroom areas, and also below a single pane widow.
Too much moisture in the air.
I moved it as far from all that as possible, and have a fan blowing warm dry air at it.
I have a de-humidifier helping to keep air conditions more stable also.

Time for one of these>

Amazon product

61j6hlnOBiL._SL1200_.jpg

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Get The Picture
I have two of those S1 Sunlu/Jayo dryers and am in daily contact with the company on FB. They're good people.

Their new S2 dryer comes out in April, with 360 degree warming and 70c instead of 50c max temperature.

Moisture can be bad for filament storage, and you'll see a bad finish if so (and it can get brittle). I wouldn't have a fan on the machine itself while printing, though. That can cause items to cool too fast and warp/corners pull from the bed.

If having any quality problems, feel free to post a pic here or email and glad to try to help get it sorted with you.

Mike
PS: I went to Boston yesterday with my $99 Ender 3 Pro coupon, to take advantage of their famous promo. (would have been our 5th printer in the house) What a scam that ended up being. I had one in my shopping cart, with a bunch of accessories, and it rang up at $299. (They retail for $209) They took $100 off that to $199, instead of $99. The employees were just as confused as me, and I did a Karen and politely asked to talk with the manager. The manager wouldnt come out of the back room to explain why the price was $100 higher than the offer, and instead called an employee to the room. The employee told me that the price apparently went up for today only and that i should come back another day for the offer. So I wasted 3 total hours of driving/fuel, 45 mins waiting in the line outside the store before it opened, and 90 mins in the store for the old "bait and switch". I emailed corporate when I got home, and doubt I'll be visiting a Micro Center store again. I wonder if they'll even reply.

Last edited:

Nikodeumus

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
I have two of those S1 Sunlu/Jayo dryers and am in daily contact with the company on FB. They're good people.

Their new S2 dryer comes out in April, with 360 degree warming and 70c instead of 50c max temperature.

Moisture can be bad for filament storage, and you'll see a bad finish if so (and it can get brittle). I wouldn't have a fan on the machine itself while printing, though. That can cause items to cool too fast and warp/corners pull from the bed.

If having any quality problems, feel free to post a pic here or email and glad to try to help get it sorted with you.

Mike
PS: I went to Boston yesterday with my $99 Ender 3 Pro coupon, to take advantage of their famous promo. (would have been our 5th printer in the house) What a scam that ended up being. I had one in my shopping cart, with a bunch of accessories, and it rang up at $299. (They retail for $209) They took $100 off that to $199, instead of $99. The employees were just as confused as me, and I did a Karen and politely asked to talk with the manager. The manager wouldnt come out of the back room to explain why the price was $100 higher than the offer, and instead called an employee to the room. The employee told me that the price apparently went up for today only and that i should come back another day for the offer. So I wasted 3 total hours of driving/fuel, 45 mins waiting in the line outside the store before it opened, and 90 mins in the store for the old "bait and switch". I emailed corporate when I got home, and doubt I'll be visiting a Micro Center store again. I wonder if they'll even reply.
Oof, that's a classic "bad retail experience" story if I've ever heard one.
What possible reason could a promotion be "un-offered" for one day only, that is absolutely bizarre?
The manager was probably so busy on the phone taking complaints or tearing a strip off someone else for a mistake in the ad.
It'll be interesting to see how head office responds. Keep us posted.

I wouldn't have a fan on the machine itself while printing, though.
I underexplained. The fan is on the floor blowing across a baseboard heater to direct warm air in the general area of the printer.
There isn't a "draft" blowing across the printer as it's working.
But I do take your point. Air current, in general, may be enough to cause issues.

For those reasons, I am also thinking that it would be a good idea to build a case to isolate the printer because of the relatively unstable environment of my cabin (humidity and airflow).
I've got access to plenty of excess plexiglass, and have seen several print models for making connectors for building boxes for this purpose.

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Get The Picture
A lot of people do put their printers in boxes, if there are cold drafts. They even sell special covers/cases for them. Mine are in a room with very low humdity at a constant temp, so I havent found the need.

Jim Miller

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
What will they think of next?
🤗

This looks like a great way to prop up a phone or tablet for viewing or Zooming, and if I had a 3D printer, I probably would try to make something like this for myself. It's patented, of course, but it would be fairly easy to modify the design somewhat and legally make one for personal use.

The GoDonut is available on Amazon for $19.99
1639410430836.png

Larry Peterson

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Resource Provider

Probably not a good candidate for 3d printing as the material needs to be flexible to allow cords to be inserted/removed. The commercial ones are made of rubber. Just ordered me a bunch as finding cables lost in the muck behind/around my computers is problematic.

Amazon product

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Get The Picture
It would work with TPU type flexible filament, which is used for things like soap and candle molds, cell phone cases, etc. I used it to make some soap molds before, but had to modify my printer with a Micro Swiss direct drive hot end assembly, to handle the flexible stuff. It is difficult to work with, doesnt work well with bowden tube setups, and has to be printed slowly.

We are now up to 5 printers in the house! Added a Creality Ender 3 v2 model a couple days ago.

Jim Miller

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Larry, those cable clips would need to be quite flexible. You are correct that a GoDonut sort of device would need to be at least a little bit flexible, as well. But maybe not much, since it is basically a stand-up support. So long as your phone/tablet would fit into the slots, it would work.

Isn't there a somewhat flexible plastic available for 3D printing?

Nikodeumus

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
I've been busily making christmas gifts this week:
CM211212-214037006.jpg CM211212-214017005.jpg 20211211_180217.jpg
CM211212-213905003.jpg 20211211_202830.jpg
CM211212-213031001~2.jpg CM211212-213133002~2.jpg

Most are models downloaded from Thingiverse.

The dog portrait I created myself from a free vector drawing.
I used a vector editor to tweak the drawing somewhat.
I imported into TinkerCad to turn the 2d drawing into a 3d profile and added the medallion base.
Then into Cura to render the model for printing.

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Get The Picture
I have been doing some holiday prints, too (too many to post, but here are a few)
Litho3.jpg
Litho2.jpg
boot.jpg
snowmen.jpg

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Get The Picture
Embarrassed Reindeer, with Mr and Mrs Claus. (Reindeer is in 3d printed Resin)

1639824215077.png

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Get The Picture
This weekend I built a workstation to house 4 of our printers. I'm really happy with the result. This used to be a spare bedroom. Haha
Sorry for the mess.

20211219_181001.jpg

Larry Peterson

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Resource Provider
I'm using my spare bedroom as a closet. Who needs those durn clothes anyway. Pack'em all up and move in the printers. Nudy time.

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Get The Picture
We put the spare bed out on the sidewalk, and put this where the bed WAS. Who needs a spare room anyways? :)

These are just simple racks from Home Depot, configured in a way different from their example. I wired in LED light strips to the upper frame.