• Welcome to the largest and friendlest resource for picture framers! Please LOG IN or REGISTER a free account.
    Once logged in, you will be able to SEARCH our archives.
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. Trouble? Click the CONTACT US link.

What are you 3D printing today?!?

picture framing clamps by MasterClamp 2021

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Get The Picture
I see a 1 day deal for a single roll of white PLA, if looking. (Jayo branded Sunlu brand)

Amazon product
coupon code K2MA-C4FE6N-HSY5AV should bring it down to $10.19, shipped

Register for the picture framer's grumble

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Get The Picture
Sorry that was for US only. Wow they really have a difference in price between countries.

Nikodeumus

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
Sorry that was for US only. Wow they really have a difference in price between countries.
Yeah, we just don't have the buying power here.
I guess because of the smaller population, therefore lower demand for a product, blah blah blah....I'm no economologist :rolleyes:.

The price difference in the samples we are discussing is far more than just exchange rate.
As of now, $18.99 US is $24.00 Canadian.
So there is an extra $9.00+ fees/tariffs/etc. added (on top of the exchanged rate), to the cost for getting that item across the border.
NAFTA?? what's that?!?!? :shrug:

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Get The Picture
Yeah, we just don't have the buying power here.
I guess because of the smaller population, therefore lower demand for a product, blah blah blah....I'm no economologist :rolleyes:.

The price difference in the samples we are discussing is far more than just exchange rate.
As of now, $18.99 US is $24.00 Canadian.
So there is an extra $9.00+ fees/tariffs/etc. added (on top of the exchanged rate), to the cost for getting that item across the border.
NAFTA?? what's that?!?!? :shrug:
Well the stuff comes from China, not USA, but still. hehe

Vermont Hardwoods solid wood picture frame molding

Larry Peterson

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Resource Provider
To heck with this white stuff. Already got enough of that carp. I just got these in:

Amazon product
Gonna make some Shiny Gold Frames with this one. 😝

Amazon product
Amazon product
Amazon product
Now I just have to get through the rest of the Tinkercad tutorials and books. Currently stuck on getting multiple objects to align and getting object to rotate the way I want.

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Get The Picture
Funny. I have that same blue/silver printing right NOW on one of my printers. (white on the other) I use a lot of Hatchbox and Sunlu/Jayo. I love their silks

Larry Peterson

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Resource Provider
I'm currently making my way through this book: Amazon product on the Kindle App on my PC and tablet. Love the way I can switch back and forth between the two and it keeps track where I am.

Not so enamored with the the book though. It hasn't been updated since it was written in 2014 and the Tinkercad interface has changed some which makes some things harder to figure out.

Last edited:

David Waldmann

Herder of cats
Forum Donor
Featured Vendor Forum Sponsor
Business
Vermont Hardwoods
To heck with this white stuff. Already got enough of that carp. I just got these in:

Amazon product
Gonna make some Shiny Gold Frames with this one. 😝
Got to get with the proper spelling if you want to retire off it. It's "shinny"!!!

picture framing clamps by MasterClamp 2021

cvm

PFG, Picture Framing God
Haha, remember last December when I was saying that a family member and his wife quit their jobs (he is an engineer and she has an Ivy League law degree) because their 3D printing business making reptile accessories was going bonkers? Yeah, they now have 10 employees and just got contacted by one of the largest online pet suppliers about providing a product line. Super fun times.

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Get The Picture
Here is a print I did with that new Blue/Silver filament.

Skull-stronghero1.jpg

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Get The Picture
This is from the new printer from last week, but I'm not completely happy with it. It has some stringing inside the structure, and needs further adjustment.

I have the printer all torn alarm right now, all over the kitchen table. I'm replacing all 7 fans tonight, with double bearing (quieter) fans.

Eiffel1.jpg

troyveluz

MGF, Master Grumble Framer
I made a couple of tenon & recess template for my woodturning hobby. Before these I was using a cardboard version. The cardboard version worked well but they get easily damaged or get out of shape. I'm hoping these plastic ones will last longer. It got stringy when it was doing the text.

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Get The Picture
Artglass AR99. Order now!

Larry Peterson

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Resource Provider
I found out today that my Cr-6's resume print function actually works. I was printing some acrylic corners overnight and it ran out of filament whilst it was printing. This morning I inserted new filament and off it went. Like nothing happened. :thumbsup:

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Get The Picture
Register for the picture framer's grumble
Some things that finished up last night:

1630007257533.png

1630007298349.png

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Get The Picture
1630007435336.png

1630007480087.png

David Waldmann

Herder of cats
Forum Donor
Featured Vendor Forum Sponsor
Business
Vermont Hardwoods
It's amazing what you can do, and with so little cash outlay.

And yet, I would put money down that in the not-too-distant future we will look at the pieces made today with the same attitude we currently have to the output of a 9-pin dot matrix printer.

LifeSaver Cloud from LifeSaver Software, Inc.

Larry Peterson

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Resource Provider
I'm hunting to add a new 3d printer to the family, and get these printers a sibling with a larger print area.

The Ouyang TwoTrees Bluer Plus is one that I'm looking at. It has the larger bed size of 300x300x400mm, auto leveling, filament out sensor, dual gear extruder, twin cooling fans, belt tensioners, PEI build plate, silent controller, and a 4.3" color touch screen. It has a lot of features built in, and is a brand I have not yet tried.

Amazon product

I hope to order a new printer this week!

Mike
Mike, do you recommend your new printer? I'm looking for a second printer for home and would like one with a larger build area.

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Get The Picture
I'm still evaluating it. It has a LOT of features. Some of the cooling fans had quality control problems, so I replaced them, but I've been printing a lot prints with it.

It's still in the living room right now, and Monday I hope to empty the spare bedroom and set her up in there (along with the others).

Once set up in there, I have a really large print planned that will take about 2 weeks for the main piece, and uses the FULL limit of the bed. (A Christmas gift for a friend)

I don't have a final opinion yet, but it's a decent product

1630862462864.png

Larry Peterson

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Resource Provider
Once set up in there, I have a really large print planned that will take about 2 weeks for the main piece, and uses the FULL limit of the bed. (A Christmas gift for a friend)
A good chance to also test the Resume Print function.

I think I will go for this one. In case I need it, where did you get the replacement fans?

Springlock by Craft Inc

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Get The Picture
I have 2 of our printers in their new home now, in the home office (spare bedroom)
1631305242244.png

Artglass AR99. Order now!