Waxing Frame Corners

Susan May

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
May 28, 2000
moved to Clermont, Florida
I have heard many people complain about touching up frame corners with wax. Some people use a blade to apply the wax, and then scratch the frame.

Go to the store and buy Bic pens, the kind with the cap. Put the pens near you order station, so people will have a pen to use. And KEEP the cap for the wax. It is a soft plastic, that will give a little... so it won't scratch the frames. It is a small pointy shape that will fit in most tight spots.

If you are worryed about the wax coming off, add a little glue to the wax before applying. Strange as it seems, wax will mix with water based glue.

Please wax the corners, as I have seen some bad frames WIN compititions. I would not have voted for them at all, because of the corners.

Sue May :)
"You want it when?!?!?"
Susan, another great tool for applying filler is a burnishing bone. United sells them for finishing the edges of mats, their item number is 5336. It is by far the best tool I have found for filling. Also, if one edge of the corner extends a little more than the other, it is great for burnishing down the wood.
I use cuticle sticks; or as we used to call them, orange sticks. They're cheap, kitchen-sliced on one end and pointed at the other. One for each color.

LOVE the Warped Moulding thing! SueMay, you're nice and weird.
MerpsMom, Thank you for noticing! I have been perfecting my wierdness for years!

Now for a serious thought... I had not thought of the Burnishing bone. I use them in the frame shop to smooth the mats, but I guess they would work well. (I still like the pen caps, as they are small and flexible.)

Lance, if you use your fingers, aren't you afraid that you might get wax on the next job you frame?
Thanks for the concern framer...
Sue it's no problem, I store the excess in my ears.
I was taught to and have always used the wooden keys that come with canvas stretcher strips. I keep one in every filler tin. They won't scratch your frame, they are cheap (free is pretty cheap), and if you need to get in a really tight crease, you can easily and quickly whittle one down with a mat blade.
Try clay modeling tools, they come in all sorts of sizes. Any art material store carries them.
Also, take terry towel scraps and work in some nail hole filler on them. They are great for wiping and darkening the edges of your frames.