• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.
Hoffmann Dovetail Joining System

Water-Damaged Art

Shayla

WOW Framer
Forum Donor
Best advice on dealing with water-damaged art? We've had regional flooding this week.

What has worked for you, and what hasn't?

Larry Peterson

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Resource Provider
Only solution I know of.

Shayla

WOW Framer
Forum Donor
Pretty much. Several years ago, someone brought in a box of sopping wet kids' art. I thought it would be pretty easy to dry out, but no. Didn't want to take the wet media off the paper, so tried drying in a cold vacuum press, with release board. The board warped in short order. Then, I couldn't figure out how to dry them without creating mold, and taking off the media by prolonged contact. A conservator once told me how they flatten rolled antique panorama photos, and it involved a special hygroscopic layer. Of something.

I just read an article that suggests freezing waterlogged books right away, to keep them in statis until repair. We usually send the rare inquiry to a conservator, but that's quite a trek.

Shayla

WOW Framer
Forum Donor
Last edited:

Prospero

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
I've only had one waterlogged frame. A lady had a burst pipe. There was mold of all colors
on the frame and back. Yellow/Purple/Red/Black/White/Green. Fortunately the artwork in the
frame was unaffected. I was very pleased about that as I framed it in the first place. 😁

W.D Quinn Saw Co. - US Made Picture Frame Blades
Advertise on the G, a forum for framers only