• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.

Walnut

Direct Contact Overlays DCO Book by James Miller

Gary Tanner

Grumbler
Business
Retired Exec. Director
This piece should make a shadow box frame or two:

Gary

framah

PFG, Picture Framing God
Business
death star driver
I have 3 walnut boards that are as long as that one but about 30" wide.
Had them since 1990 and they have since cupped a bit so that it would be better to cut them in half length wise and then plane them flat.
Had always wanted to make a walnut bed frame.

I also have a really nice walnut slab.. 2" thick, 9' long and 26" wide.
Two short cuts out of that will be the legs for a slab table I hope to build this winter.
The rest will be turned into bowls and platters.

framah

PFG, Picture Framing God
Business
death star driver
Is your planer on wheels or do you actually have that much room behind it?
Like your shop!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Direct Contact Overlays DCO Book by James Miller

wpfay

Comfort Badger
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Sunshine Frames
I have about 100 bd/ft of Missouri Black Walnut air drying in the workshop. Bought it in the late 70's. Mostly 4/4, but a couple pieces of 6/4 and 8/4. I still haven't made up my mind what to do with it. I have worked with a bit of it for small projects and the color is pretty amazing.

Gary Tanner

Grumbler
Business
Retired Exec. Director
Yes, the boards next to it are cherry; I have miles of it. Most of the frames I make are cherry. I'm going to make a cherry fly tying bench for our place in Canada (in case they ever open the border).

my planer is on wheels. Not the best situation, but it work well enough.
Thanks for the comments!
Gary

Nikodeumus

MGF, Master Grumble Framer
My father is a lifelong wood worker, so when I saw the stack of leaning boards to the right of your door I had to laugh.
His "board collection" has spilled out of his workshop and taken over parts of the basement.
The best thing is, he knows where every stick and length came from and when he got it.
He remembers his wood collection better than his kids birthdays!
When I ask if he's got a piece of maple (or anything else), he'll rifle through his stacks muttering to himself "it's in here somewhere, next to that piece of purpleheart I got 13 years ago...mumble mumble...yellow cedar, that's from Sitka Valley....mumble... spalted maple, that came from old man Johnson's property....mumble...AHA, got it!".

I think this is what's in his head when he finds the perfect piece of wood for a project.🤣
russian crossfit GIF

Advertise on the G, a forum for framers only

wpfay

Comfort Badger
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Sunshine Frames
That would be my guess Ralph. Some Cypress has a higher specific gravity than water and tended to sink as it was being floated downstream to the mills. Logs have been being reclaimed from the Suwannee and other Florida rivers in the past 20-30 years, and a whole new Cypress industry has taken off. The river bottoms have to be left in tact, so no partially buried logs can be taken. Still there are plenty available.
One of the walls of my previous gallery space was rough sawn Cypress 6/4 boards, and that stuff had to be drilled to put a nail in it.

Another new reclamation business is harvesting Southern Yellow Pine from structural elements of old warehouses. Cabinetmaker friend of mine got about 20,000 bd/ft from one building and is making some beautiful "old Florida" kitchens from it.

Vermont Hardwoods solid wood picture frame molding