• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.

wall cutter has Covid?

Gerald Stanek

Grumbler in Training
Hi all, been using this particular Fletcher 3000 for 10 yrs., suddenly, since returning from a two month covid hiatus, it doesn't want to cut all the way through a piece of 1/8 foam. I've never had this problem with a wall cutter before. I tried the 'pressure adjustment knob', it did not help. Have replaced the blade multiple times, making sure it is mounted correctly. The only thing I have not done is replace the bushings, but they don't seem worn or loose. Has anyone had this problem before? It seems to be getting worse, the last couple days even 4ply board takes two swipes. Getting it to cut double thick mat is almost impossible. Also having trouble with glass, particularly at the top of the cut. I emailed Fletcher, but got no response. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Gerry

wvframer

RIP
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Check out the manuals page under resources. I think there is an adjustment to the head or maybe a spent spring that causes this.

neilframer

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
I am very familiar with the Fletcher 3000 and the 3100. We have 2- 3100s and a 3000 at the shop and I have rebuilt other cutters in the past.
Unless the head is really rocking around, the bushings are probably OK.
You can get a rebuilding kit that includes new bushings, new springs, some screws and a new peel and stick pressure pad for the vertical clamp bar for about $30.

It's probably the rocker arm adjusting screw.
It adjusts for depth of cut but you must set it up for glass cutting only and then it should be fine for plexiglass and boards.
Screen Shot 2020-07-28 at 7.00.28 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-07-28 at 7.19.03 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-28 at 7.02.15 PM.png

Last edited:

Gerald Stanek

Grumbler in Training
I am very familiar with the Fletcher 3000 and the 3100. We have 2- 3100s and a 3000 at the shop and I have rebuilt other cutters in the past.
Unless the head is really rocking around, the bushings are probably OK.
You can get a rebuilding kit that includes new bushings, new springs, some screws and a new peel and stick pressure pad for the vertical clamp bar for about $30.

It's probably the rocker arm adjusting screw.
It adjusts for depth of cut but you must set it up for glass cutting only and then it should be fine for plexiglass and boards.
View attachment 34992 View attachment 34994
View attachment 34993
Thanks, i will try that. Much appreciate the advice

Advertise on the G, a forum for framers only

neilframer

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Thanks, i will try that. Much appreciate the advice
Go easy on that adjusting screw.
A little goes a long way.

It's probably not Covid...:shutup:
Good luck with the fix.:thumbsup:

JFeig

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
After months of inactivity you might want to clean the metal tubes and the bushings with a cleaner to remove all dust particles.

David Hewitt

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level 2
After months of inactivity you might want to clean the metal tubes and the bushings with a cleaner to remove all dust particles.
Flush the tubes, bushings, and turret assembly with lighter fluid. It will get in hard to get at areas and drys quick leaving no residue. (Works great on mat cutters also)

Gerald Stanek

Grumbler in Training
Thanks everyone! The adjusting screw did the trick. I'd never even seen that before, after using these machines in various shops for 30 years! I've given it a good cleaning too, just for good measure.

Rian Fabrication Services  www.rianfabrication.com