• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.
Donmar Creations

Vox article

artfolio

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
For once this seems to be a fair and well balanced piece of writing.

I just wish they had emphasised the real need for valuable and irreplaceable art to be professionally framed with the kind of conservation grade materials which you will not find in the mass production businesses. I would also hesitate to trust anything valuable to a mail order framing company.

Frances M.

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level 2
I think one of the takeaways is that the largest group of potential customers not only don't see any value in a uniquely framed item, they don't really value art. On a local FB page for buying and selling decor, I see young women re-selling pillows they paid $200+ for originally that no longer fit their decor. Same for furniture, clothes, shoes. Everything is disposable. When they purchase a piece of original art, it is usually by a friend who is an artist and quality is not considered. They don't display any emotional attachment to their art or place any value to it. The art they buy is some version of an image that is being painted by every other "artist" on earth, it seems: cows, sheep, barns, beach umbrellas. The same exact image in every single color and then in multiple colors.

The "art" is so interchangeable that I can't tell it apart among at least 3 young artists here who all grew up together. These young artists here, for the most part, have family financial means. They paint dozens of formula paintings, whip up their following for their release date of sale on their website, price it cheaply and sell it all. One professional artist who paints only original pieces (no copies, no prints) did a rough calculation that one of the website sellers was getting over $200,000 a year and the work hadn't changed in several years. The only framed pieces are their small abstracts on paper in Ikea frames. One artist had a show of her neon nudes on paper, which were shown clipped to metal wire fencing panel in a group. I don't know where we go with this.

Larry Peterson

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Resource Provider
"There’s matting (a piece of paper or cardboard that goes inside the frame and mounts the print or photo)"

OK, fess up. Who's been selling doss cardboard mats?

scottk

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level 2
For once this seems to be a fair and well balanced piece of writing.

I just wish they had emphasised the real need for valuable and irreplaceable art to be professionally framed with the kind of conservation grade materials which you will not find in the mass production businesses. I would also hesitate to trust anything valuable to a mail order framing company.
Yes, I agree.
My simple takeaway was the writer went to a frameshop to get something done, was surprised by the price and then decided to write an article.

Vermont Hardwoods solid wood picture frame molding