Opinions Wanted VN-42 Pressure Gauge

LifeSaver Cloud from LifeSaver Software, Inc.

Jim Miller

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
My VN-42 underpinner needs a new pressure gauge. Are there aftermarket sources that you would recommend, or should I order from ITW/AMP/MiterMite/Fletcher-Terry?
There are lots of listings for 2" diameter, back-connected, 0-160 PSI gauges on Amazon, Grainger, eBay, etc., but I'm having difficulty sorting out and sourcing the adapter fittings for that tiny plastic hose.
Suggestions welcome, please...

Jim Miller

Forum Donor
Thanks for your information, Mark.

The replacement gauge from the maker (Fletcher-Terry) for this machine costs $98.00 plus shipping, and comes with the fitting for the 4 mm tube.

On Amazon I found a similar 0-150 PSI gauge with a 1/8" NPT fitting on the back, plus a 1/8" x 4mm fitting for the tube. All together, the cost was $19.98. The parts will be here in 2 days with free shipping on Prime. And if it does not fit, I can return it without consequence.

No wonder Amazon is taking over world of retailing...

Underpinner Spares

Grumbler in Training
Business
www.underpinner-spares.co.uk
Register for the picture framer's grumble
That’s a great price for a new gauge with air fitting! hopefully the gauge you have purchased is the surface mounted version and the price also includes the mounting bracket as different brands brackets don’t always fit other brands.

(The Fletcher Terry price is completely bonkers for a 50mm gauge so I’m not surprised you went elsewhere)

Mark

Jim Miller

Forum Donor
Yes, the Fletcher-Terry price is high, but that's no surprise. The "renewal parts" prices from manufacturers/importers usually are confiscatory.

You make a good point about the mounting bracket. The new gauge does not come with a bracket and I doubt that the original bracket will work exactly as it did with the original gauge, but I'm hoping to adapt it. If not, then I can probably find one, or even make one to fit. It should be easy enough to fix a strap over the threaded brass fitting that protrudes from the back of the gauge, and hold it in place using the 1/8"x4mm adapter fitting.

I'll know tomorrow, when the parts arrive.

Keencut Ultimat Futura Precision Mat Cutter
Register for the picture framer's grumble

Rick Granick

Forum Donor
The "renewal parts" prices from manufacturers/importers usually are confiscatory
Always. I remember reading years ago how much more it would cost to build a car from replacement parts than the new purchase price. I don't remember the ratio, but it was very high.
:popc: Rick

FrameReady Special Offer - Call 888-281-2202