Searching For Video for Maintenance of F2000/2100/2200 Fletcher-Terry Matcutters

Jim Miller

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Is there a video about how to perform the routine cleaning & maintenance of these cutters? That is, showing how to clean the bar for every use, and how to remove/replace the cutting head for deep cleaning, and also how to adjust the Allen-head setscrews to eliminate excess looseness.

I thought there would be several videos on Youtube about these procedures, but found nothing. Any suggestions, before I borrow a cutter and make a video of my own?

There's a framer in California who needs this training, and a video would be a great help.

David Hewitt

MGF, Master Grumble Framer
Forum Donor
If I remember correctly the first 2100's came with a Video (VHS) that covered most everything.
It was maybe 30min long. My cutter went to Wally, I believe a video was in the box at the time, he may still have it.
As far as advice sharing, I found Lighter Fluid worked great for flushing and cleaning the bar, bearings, and head assembly. Cleans well, dries quick and does not leave a oily residue. There's also is a nice squirt nozzle on the can, it helps direct the flow of the fluid, especially in the roller bearing area. Blow dry to clear away any remaining particles of dust.
As far as the Allen adjustment's, I adjust just enough for the head to move freely and completely on the rail without binding, so that when sliding the assembly, you should feel a very, very, slight resistance, that being the high spots ( slightly thicker ) on the rail.
If removal of the cutting assembly, from the rail / bar is necessary. I remove only one of the rail / bar holding blocks. Leaving the other block intact, that helps to keep the alinement true. Before removing the block, I mark it's location, with tape, or pencil, so as to return it to it's exact original location, that will keep everything correct in its alignment. Rarely will the assembly need to be removed if regular cleaning is done with the lighter fluid.
Just sharing my procedures, FWIW.
Would like to hear from others with their maintenance procedures and tips.

th

Last edited:

wpfay

Comfort Badger
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Sunshine Frames
David, you sold me your 3000, not the 2100. But I do agree on lighter fluid as the preferred solvent for cleaning and lubing mat/material cutters.

Jim, check with John Ranes. If anyone knows about any video support, he would.

David Hewitt

MGF, Master Grumble Framer
Forum Donor
David, you sold me your 3000, not the 2100. But I do agree on lighter fluid as the preferred solvent for cleaning and lubing mat/material cutters.

Jim, check with John Ranes. If anyone knows about any video support, he would.
You're right Wally, what can I say. I think it's called a senior moment. But I do think the early 2100's had a VHS video also.

Rick Granick

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
My straightline and wall mounted cutters are C+H, not Fletcher, but I would echo David's recommendation of using lighter fluid as a cleaner. After cleaning, I used to do a light wipedown with Mat Cutter Lube sprayed on a tissue. That product is no longer made, and the best substitute I've found so far is Blaster brand Dry Lube. It only takes a little bit, and I rub it into the bar so it leaves no film.
:cool: Rick