• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.

Suggestion Velvet painting repair

LifeSaver Cloud from LifeSaver Software, Inc.

Dancinbaer

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
A customer has a couple velvet paintings that need repair. They are not of any monitary value just sentimental. They were in the back of a closet and the velvet got torn. Any ideas on how to repair them?

They way she described the damage it is near the edges at the frame where there is no painting. I suggested cutting them down and restretching them. Or using some fabric iron-on material on the backs.

Any other ideas?

BILL WARD

slap 'em onto fc/perfect mount-----holds really well for this kind of thing. but, come on....velvet elvis:confused:?????? didnt he leave the building? some people never give up!

Bob Doyle

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Maybe an iron on denim patch like your mother stuck on your favorite jeans, back in the 70's. Could put it on the front or back! OK I'm kidding!

But an iron on fusing material may work. better than trying to clean up the nap and sew the tear.

W.D Quinn Saw Co. - US Made Picture Frame Blades

Rebecca

I have stitched them using an underlay for support and fine matching thread. I use a couching stitch, and the thread is pretty well hidden by the velvet pile. It is not invisible, but nearly so.

Or, you could mend them from the reverse using pressure sensitive repair tissue made from Lascaux HV 360 and Japanese tissue. How well this works depends on the nature of the tear and how "dusty" the reverse is - if fiber dust from degraded fabric keeps off-setting on the the repair tissue you can't get a good bond.

Hope this helps.

Rebecca

Afreeman

Grumbler in Training
Business
None
I have a velvet painting of a bandwidth my folks had when I was little, we loved Harry (that’s what we called him&in 1985 we moved from Illinois to CA and it was only a few items they brought with them. It’s not of any value but now that us kids are older I’d love to get him fixed. He watched over us and has the most amazing eyes that no matter where you stood he was looking at you. Is there a skilled master repair person that could take on a good challenge?

framah

PFG, Picture Framing God
Business
death star driver
What about someone who actually does fabric/upholstery repairs.

framah

PFG, Picture Framing God
Business
death star driver
I just did an eBay search for paintings on velvet and the most expensive on was priced at $6,500.. and original from Hawaii from the 60's.I can't post an image as it is a really, really good, detailed painting of a young woman. The 60's were a more liberated time on Hawaii. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Most are the carpy ones for $35 or so.

Ylva

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
I have a velvet painting of a bandwidth my folks had when I was little, we loved Harry (that’s what we called him&in 1985 we moved from Illinois to CA and it was only a few items they brought with them. It’s not of any value but now that us kids are older I’d love to get him fixed. He watched over us and has the most amazing eyes that no matter where you stood he was looking at you. Is there a skilled master repair person that could take on a good challenge?
Welcome to the G!

What exactly needs to be fixed? You might need a textile conservator for this. As framers, we usually don't repair anything of value. Not talking about monetary value, but sentimental value is as important.

Vermont Hardwoods solid wood picture frame molding
Beauty, Brawn, and Brains: Wizard Z1 CMC