Vellum & Encapsulation

Shayla

WOW Framer
Forum Donor
We have a vellum page from the 1200's in, and it's fairly thin. The few old things I've had in the past, I've matted, and held in with edge strips. Could do that with this, but I also thought of encapsulation. Does it hurt animal skin to be kept in plastic? Thanks.

Encapsulation would help mitigate rapid humidity fluctuations which is a primary nemesis of animal skin. The polyester film is non-donor, so unless you trap something in the encapsulation that can harm the vellum, you should be good.

Thanks for the gentle correction, Jim.

Last edited:
As Wally said, encapsulation with clear polyester film would put it into a chemically-stable environment and help to insulate the vellum from fluctuations and possibly-reactive frame parts.

Rick's got a good idea with the Overlay Mount, too. Or, if you're planning to cover the edges, a Platform Mount should do the trick.

If you do an overlay you could put unbuffered board/tissue behind it but unless you're floating it there's no need for encapsualtion/overlay. If you're not floating it you can still use something unbuffered behind it.

If you do an overlay you could put unbuffered board/tissue behind it but unless you're floating it there's no need for encapsualtion/overlay. If you're not floating it you can still use something unbuffered behind it.
Thanks! This makes me feel good, because I talked about unbuffered mats, and had one behind it while designing.
I told him that, since it was so thin, we needed the backing behind it while choosing a mat.

Great questions and replies. I haven't done this with vellum, but what about sealing ( encapsulating ) the package. The name of the product used slips my mind, but Hugh Phibbs taught the procedure in his classes. It's a heat activated foil that you wrap the item with and then adhere to the glass, to seal the package. You can also make something similar with heavy aluminum foil and a heat activated fabric adhesive, (if I recall it corectly) it to was taught in the class. The only concern is if it were to leak, like a watch seal gone bad, it would then be exposed to the elements, making them harder to release themselves, like condensation in the watch. If I were still in the business I would do this as a long term test product. Vellum has always been extremely sensitive to enviormental fluctuations.

... The name of the product used slips my mind, but Hugh Phibbs taught the procedure in his classes. It's a heat activated foil that you wrap the item with and then adhere to the glass, to seal the package.
I think you're referring to Marvelseal, David. Hugh Phibbs also recommends making a similar package using the same material as used for Mylar balloons. I can't remember the name of it, but it is available from some home improvement stores. Use a good double-sided tape to close the corners and bond it to the edges of glass.

Thanks Jim :)
I believe this is the Home Depot product. The one shown is 2mil there is another that is 6mil.
Look under Viagrow Mylar Films
Also: Marvelseal - University Products Inc.

1630929913276.png

Last edited:
Back