Vellum document and adhesives

FramerBill

True Grumbler
I just took in an old vellum certificate that is somewhat curled and torn. It is still salvageable and I plan on mounting it with Linco mounting strips on all four sides.

It also has a foil seal and ribbon which has come unglued from the vellum. My question is: What is the best way to permanently reattach the seal/ribbon to the vellum?

Westchester Art & Frame

Bill, mainly I'm just bouncing this one back to the top... maybe Hugh or Rebecca can weigh in on this with a better choice.

For me, I have always gone with a few micro dots of Rice paste (Nori).

It seams the minimum invasive and maximum reversable, which is always where I start with stuff like that.

good luck

Thanks Baer.

I would probably use a small amount of very thick methylcellulose - thick enough that the bubbles are are trapped in a quite viscous gel. Then weight for 20 minutes or so.

Rebecca

Methylcellulose? What is it and where can I get it? I have Nori paste and was considering that. Is there any down side to using Nori?

Also, it looks as if someone in the past had tried to reattach the seal to the vellum (there is obvious dried glue of some kind on both the vellum and verso of the seal). Would this affect using either Nori or methylcellulose?

Talas carries methylcellulose, 8 oz would likely do your for a long time.

http://apps.webcreate.com/ecom/catalog/product_specific.cfm?ClientID=15&ProductID=18375

It's kind of like wheat starch, but doesn't mold as easily (as long as container is clean etc.) and can be mixed to different thicknesses.

I've never seen the packaged Nori, but from reading other's posts about it, it might be a bit thin for your application. You can thicken it up by putting some on a blotter - I'd want it to be as thick as possible 1) for strength, and 2) to keep the moisture content as low as possible to avoid swelling/rippling probs.

If the other adhesive is crumbly, you should gently scrape as much off as you can, otherwise leave it as is. If it is water resistant or shiny, you might have prob's getting wheat starch to stick to it in which case the very thick methylcellulose would be better as it will stick to almost anything.

Good Luck,

Rebecca

Rebecca

I smart man doesn't know everything... he knows where to get proper answers...

Vellum, I figured that you would weigh in first...

Thanks for your expertise and info. I never would have though of Methylcellulose. Nice stuff, but I just always thought of it and "cellulose" (wood product=paper).

Now I just wonder if I need a perscription for it hear in Oregon like we do for seudoephedrin... :D

Hi Baer -

Methylcellulose is almost everywhere - toothpaste, hair gel, milk shakes, soap gels...

Given its usefulness, we probably will need a prescription for it soon. ;)

Rebecca

Back