• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.
Vermont Hardwoods solid wood picture frame molding

Valiani V Studio

RoboFramer

PFG, Picture Framing God
Maybe I should have asked here first..........

I bought my Valiani mat pro ix 150 CMC new in 2009. The operating system at the time on a new PC was Vista and I had to downgrade it to XP for the software (FMD)

It has crashed a couple of times and I've simply uninstalled and re-installed with the disc. Not this time! It's not having it, disc must be corrupted - the PC which has never been on the internet will play a music/film CD so the drive is OK.

So I rang the UK distributor and asked does V studio run on windows 10 (it surely must) - after that was going to ask does it come on disc (my last laptop has no disc drive, will a new PC need one?) or download/whatever, but there was a discussion in the background about RAM and things and then "We'll email you" No email came, it was getting on for 5pm on a Friday.

So I went to a Valiani F Book page and still have no answers but someone has said I need a dongle with V studio, is that right? Does it need the interweb? If so it's a problem!

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Our new Valiani CMC requires the dongle and is on Windows 10 64 bit.

RoboFramer

PFG, Picture Framing God
Thanks Mike

Is there any wired connection between computer and machine or does that dongle replace that and is an internet connection required and if so permanently or would "as required" be ok?

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
The dongle is a security/licensing device, that looks like a small flash drive. It plugs into any available USB port. A regular USB wire goes into a different port on the computer, runs to the machine's controller box. I don't think internet is mandatory, but I could be wrong.

If you want software updates, it requires internet. It checks automatically, every time you start the program. If there is a newer version, it will prompt to do an auto update. This is a feature they added about a year ago, and it's a good one. I believe it also backs up one file to a cloud server, periodically, with your settings. Note that if you dont want to do that, you can change the setting to back it up to a different computer in your business.

If you only wanted to check for updates once in a great while, and dont have an internet connection, you could probably turn on your mobile phone's wireless hot spot once every few months. Then you could connect to it from the PC. Then boot up the V studio, so it does the software upgrade check and installation.

Chuck Terry or someone from Crescent or Valiani will hopefully jump in to correct me if this advice is incorrect.

Best regards,
Mike

PS: I moved this into the CMC support forum, even though it is technically about software.

Jim Miller

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Several years ago I purchase a second dongle so that I can use V Studio on any of my computers, all of which are now on Windows 10. This way I can design mats and save cutting files on any computer with the dongle plugged in (which I often do at home), then email them to myself (or others) for importing to the CMC's computer.

Beauty, Brawn, and Brains: Wizard Z1 CMC

RoboFramer

PFG, Picture Framing God
So the dongle is included in the software package and you install the software from a disc and then require the dongle to authenticate it? IOW (amongst other things) it prevents you from passing it on to someone else to upgrade their machine?

Joe B

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
I have been running Windows 10 now for a long time with my Valiani and V Studio. No issues to speak of.

Larry Peterson

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Resource Provider
So the dongle is included in the software package and you install the software from a disc and then require the dongle to authenticate it? IOW (amongst other things) it prevents you from passing it on to someone else to upgrade their machine?

Copy protection at its best (worst??). Copy protection might have been needed back in the good old days (Anyone remember having to have your Lotus 1-2-3 disk in the PC for it to run? ) but in today's environment there is no need. With online validation whenever a program is run why bother with a dongle. My subscriptions to MS Office and Photoshop validate every time I open the program. Being online is a minor requirement.

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Essentially, yes. Although I'm not sure it necessarily comes on a disk any more. Many computers don't include drives these days. It's probably a download, a flash drive, or the tech "dials in" over the internet to set it all up for you.

RoboFramer

PFG, Picture Framing God
Another thing I've been told to get checked, is if the CMC's motherboard will accept it! I have the mat pro ix 150. I would hope that many with the same machine upgraded as soon as the new software came out .... and then many (with more sense than me), more when vista stopped being supported!

Advertise on the G, a forum for framers only

Jim Miller

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
...Many computers don't include drives these days. It's probably a download, a flash drive, or the tech "dials in" over the internet to set it all up for you.
I've received several of the free updates by emailed download links, and that works well.

Valiani's original software was rather clunky, but V Studio has always been very good. It's loaded with design features and importing PLT files of special designs from a CAD program is a breeze. I can't recall it ever crashing, and the updates drop right in.

RoboFramer

PFG, Picture Framing God
SITREP....

All set up, dealing direct with Italy - team viewer set up with Andrea, who, I realised a day later, is a man! Very good.

After 2 days can now do anything I could do with the old software, some things quicker, some not but just until it's what we know. I can see there is muuuuuuuch more to learn, but in slower time. I'll be up to speed by the time I'm ready to sell the machine I reckon.

I've been asked to make a list of any problems I may have and if needs be, things will be demonstrated to me via team viewer, but there are some pretty useful Youtube vids, esp from "Antons" - the Australian distributor.

Just so I don't embarrass myself TOO much though - you can't work from the image out, right? It seems I have to do the math myself to achieve the outside size - it used to be - "how big is the aperture? How wide borders do you want? Same all round or not? Click - all done. May be missing something.

Really not sure about dongle functiion either - I have a small silver one and a larger black one with the machine serial number on. This morning, first time I'd started up with the software, with the big one in, it wouldn't have it. Tried small one, fine - opened - then tried to cut a mat, wouldn't have it - took small one out, inserted big one - fine. Seems a bit of a daily ritual??

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
The security dongle can stay in all the time, It gets checked when the software boots up, to confirm the license. We have it plugged in to the back of the computer, so we don't accidentally break it.

The flash drive was probably just to send files and does not need to be in.

RoboFramer

PFG, Picture Framing God
Thanks Mike, Tomorrow I'll try starting with security (smaller?) dongle in, leaving it in one of the ports at the back like you say and then removing the flash drive (larger one with machine seial No on?) once it's all happy.

Advertise on the G, a forum for framers only