• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.

UV Acrylic Question

W.D Quinn Saw Co. - US Made Picture Frame Blades

NKrings

Grumbler in Training
Business
Museum Services Inc
Is there a way to tell if acrylic is UV after the protective sheeting has been peeled off?
It is my understanding there is not a way to tell the difference.
Can anyone confirm?

Thank You
NKrings

wpfay

Comfort Badger
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Sunshine Frames
If you have a UV source, say a black light flashlight, and a material of some kind that fluoresces when UV hits it, like copy paper that has optical brighteners in it, you can check the acrylic by seeing how the target reacts to UV light directly from the source and UV light passing through the acrylic. No acrylic will filter all the UV, but the reaction to exposure should be lessened by a UV filtering acrylic sheet.

Welcome to the G!

NKrings

Grumbler in Training
Business
Museum Services Inc
Thank you Wally Fay,
I did a test using a sheet of CC acrylic and Premium clear covering a sheet of copy paper. I exposed them side by side to UV (black) light in a very dark room. The CC acrylic was darker than the Premium Clear. That lead me to believe more uv was being filtered. This is very promising. Thank you for your guidance.

LifeSaver Cloud from LifeSaver Software, Inc.